Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought 2006 Nissan Murano S 2wd and need to have a daytime running lights in Canada. That S model does not have the fog lights, to use them as the daytime running lights. Any idea how to modify the head lights to work as drl?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The requirement is that the light have to go on automaticaly, not to be swiched on manualy. Transport Canada will not let register my car without drl.

·
Registered
379 Posts
You don't say why you need the DRLs.
If you are just visiting you do not need them

If you are relocating here as your mention of Transport Canada would suggest then you might contact Nissan Canada to determine how they would modify your MO.

I went through something similar when I returned to Canada some years ago with a US spec Mazda MPV. Fog lights where not part of the package on the MPV, but all the local Mazda dealer did was to wire in a module of some sort into the headlight package which caused them to double as the DRLs, automatically turning them on when the engine was started.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
ericrenata-

I suspect Nissan has a quick and simple way to enable daytime running lamps on a North American MO. Since the US and Canadian-spec MOs are pretty similar, I assume all you may need is a relay here, a bit of programming there, and *poof* you now have DRLs.

Check with a Canadian dealer. And when you find out how it is done, then let us know.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
njjoe is correct - often the conversion takes place by adding a DRL relay to replace the standard headlight relay. It might even be something you can do yourself, contact a Canadian Nissan dealer to see if you can buy the part.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
This has been done to US cars a number of ways (using the fog lights). Do a search on DRL.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Keep us posted on your results as there might be some here in the States that would be interested in your solution.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Boy they sure are picky. Whats next, a law requiring wiper blades to automatically be on when you start the car?

This thread has a daigram for fogs on when ignition is on but not when headlights are turned on. http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2050 Not sure thats what your looking for though as you don't have fogs.

Having the dealer do it has it's obvious benefits but for the DIY, I *think* this would work (attached) for headlamps on when ignition is on, regardless of combination switch position (On/Auto/Off).

It would be good to have somebody else double check this. I'm thinking the relay and the diode will prevent any diagnostic errors. You might could just disconnect the wire from the top of the low headlamp relay solenoid and attach it to the ignition wire without adding a relay. But I'm not sure what that would do to the diagnostics.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
E:
Only problem with it is getting at the internals of the IPDM. Would require soldering on a circuit board - something some of our members would not be comfortable with. Would surely void the warranty on that box.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Existing relay is soldered into the IPDM circuit board (on the '03 anyway). The connection point you show is a very short trace on the board.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Enforcer said:
Well that stinks, if one relay goes bad you have to replace the whole thing.
Not unusual for Nissan....Think CVT, Transfer case, Brake pedal squicking, CD player cutting out, etc. etc.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
IMHO: Relays are a very reliable component, and this should not be a issue. Unfair to "blame" Nissan for this one.
Lets consider the big picture here. This forum has about 4500 members. There are a couple of hundred thousand MO out there, and only a percentage of our members report problems. Is Nissan really that bad???
I for one have had no problems with mine at all.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
ekaxel said:
Lets consider the big picture here. This forum has about 4500 members. There are a couple of hundred thousand MO out there, and only a percentage of our members report problems. Is Nissan really that bad???
I for one have had no problems with mine at all.
I agree....but only to an extent. I think the actual number of members who have problems is a lot higher than the number who report them. People's perceptoion of a problem is different. To me, a little squeak out of the brakes is not a problem, but to some it is. Occasional ticks and rattles to me go hand in hand with owning a car, some can't tollerate them. Right now the left front window in my Mo is rattling and feels loose. I plan to fix it myself but I have not talked about it here, so does that mean I don't have a problem? I think there is a reason Nissan is number 3 auto maker (in Japan).

·
Registered
89 Posts
RDL are also obligatory in more and more countries in Europe and also in our country. When I asked a service guy at the dealer, he told me that he can reprogramm the module, so when you start the car the lights go on...but I'm not sure about that. He couldn't do it as the diagnose computer was in another workshop at the time I was there.
The MO has only three position switch, while other Nissans here (Pathfinder, Terrano, X-trail) have for positions - the fourth is AUTO.
Anyway he promised me to reprogramm my MO the next time I'm there for service. Then we'll see.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
ekaxel said:
IMHO: Relays are a very reliable component...
Ah, that has not been my experience. Even my cherokee had the relays socketed and it was a good thing too, I replaced two of them. And the equipment I test at work have had a lot of relay failures. Luckily though, relays are cheap, which is also why it doesn't make sense to not socket them. Unless of course you are after more $. Charge the customer for a whole board instead of just a $2 part.

Most people come here when they have a problem because they are looking for solutions to those problems which skews things. Those of us that stay because we are fans also skew things. So bottom line, everything is skewed. That's just the way it is in a car forum. I look to the independent third parties that poll owners across the board, regardless of whether they were ever in a car forum or not. And from what I've read of those, Nissan is average, and they have been that way for quite a while. Everything is relative, but Nissan definitely has room for gowth in reliability. The interesting thing is customer service is below average. So there is more room for growth there. See my post in this thread for the links to the data sources:

http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6956

Back to ericrenatas question. Still there is a DIY way to wire the headlights so just the headlights come on for those like ericrenata that don't have the fogs. I'll try to find a solution a little latter. The best bet is always dealer though, sure hope they can reprogram them.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts