Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This project has been on my list for quite a while. I have finally finished phase one. But let start from the beginning. As many of us noticed Murano is relatively quiet car with most of the noise being tire, or road noise. I wanted a quieter car, one that would give me the feeling of “isolation” from surrounding. So I started researching the net. Most of the people on the various web sites were saying that floor, firewall, front and rear doors, roof and trunk all need deadening. My observations were that most of the noise, during normal driving, is entering Murano through the doors and “back” of the car, most likely the trunk. If I could do something about it most likely car would become quieter.

There are many sound deadening materials available. For ease of use I went with B-Quiet Ultimate mats and some deadening materials in spray for wheel wells. The mat arrived last Thursday and the project was ready to start.

Yesterday, Saturday, I started from the front door. I removed trim panels and that is what I saw.

Attachments

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The next step was to remove speakers. As you can see there is noting behind speakers, just sheet of metal! Forming outer skin of the doors.

Attachments

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I proceeded by placing deadening mat on the outer door skin (see photo). Unfortunately I wasn’t able to cover entire outer door sheet as access was difficult. I would have to dismantle the window mechanism and I did not want to do it. Next I covered entire inner door sheet (no photos here, to have an idea as it looks see the photo of rear doors) and replaced the trim. I could feel the difference in closing the door, there was much subdued sound, and I liked it! It was encouraging.

Attachments

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Next were the rear door. After removing the trim I was for a shock. Just look at the photo! There is noting to control the noise. The doors look like a resonance chamber! No wonder the back of the car seemed noisy.

Attachments

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I removed the plastic sheet and applied mat to the outer door skin. It was easy due to large openings in the door inner skin so I was able to cover entire outer door skin

Attachments

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is how the inner door looked after mats were fixed.

Attachments

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The trunk area was emptied and covered with deadening mat. The center part, where the spare wheel is, was covered with two layers as this is where the sub is and I felt it was “resonating”.

Attachments

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Entire process took 8 hours. Was it worth it? Yes, it was. Car is much quieter now. I cannot hear any noise coming from the back of the car. And stereo sounds so much better. The noisiest part of the car is now the front and roof. Maybe in the future I will get the roof done. Not sure yet.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Wow Kris! Very cool!

How much deading materal did you go through, and where did you get it?

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Kris said:
Entire process took 8 hours. Was it worth it? Yes, it was. Car is much quieter now. I cannot hear any noise coming from the back of the car. And stereo sounds so much better. The noisiest part of the car is now the front and roof. Maybe in the future I will get the roof done. Not sure yet.
Kris-

:29: Nice job!

I know it is subjective, but is it really that much quieter? What I mean to say is if another MO driver got in your car would they be aware of the difference?

What were you costs for materials (not including the beer)?

Thanx for the pix.

-njjoe

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Glad you are pleased.

Kris said:
I encourage you to do the rest. I did a bit larger area in the trunk As a matter of fact everything you can see and under the very rear of the seats. As you know i did under the seats and up front everywhere I could reach.

Now you can be in the position of trying to answer those questions "How much quiter is it" Fun eh!

Don forget to go for the roof. I was always sorry I did not do that section. I hav often thought about filling it with a foam in place material maybe even that "Good stuff" in a can.

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
njjoe
yes, the car is quieter. How much? It is a good question. I just got back from a short trip to Autozone and at one of the busy intersection I realized I ALMOST DID NOT HEAR THR TRAFFIC! So, it is substantial. Also, took it to 80 mph and it was the wind noise around windshield top area that was most noticeable. Tires, despite being GDY with 22K on them and getting nosier everyday, were not that bad. Not at all.
Cost - $147 mat + roller. And I think $10 for two cans of spray for wheel wells.

GripperDon
I admire you on doing it under the seats. I thought it was too much trouble. But the roof – yes, it definitely is the next project. I am not sure how I am going to do it. I mean what material to use. Your suggestion of foam sounds good. Anything in mind?

The real test came from my wife. Now she understand why I did it. Still it is not as good as in FX. But we are getting there.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Kris-

It sounds (no pun intended) like that was $150 well spent. I think I will have to add that to my list of future projects.

-njjoe

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
I thought removing the inner roof covering was a real choir so

that is why I liked the foam in place. I wanted to be concerned about the foam squirting out of crack and leaks so I would want to tape everything up tight and also open up some of the bolt hole in the roof to let the pressure out. I don't know what the problems would be byt it would be IMO a grat sound and insulating treatment.

I may be overstating the difficulity of removing the headliner and if that is not a problem it would probablly be safer. You might check with a dealer or body shop for added info.

look like yu id a nice job on thedoors, The front wheel wells are really not hard and spraying underneath is not hard either. Insn't quite nice!
LOL :)

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Enforcer,
I got the mat from here here . Bought 50 sq. ft.

Don,
I looked and the manual and removing the headliner seems quite an undertaking. I am not sure if I would do it. I like your idea of foam. Let's investigate it further....

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
yay alberta based company right on. your install kris has inspired me to purchase a service manual and so some deadening on the truck and murano. it looks like the v-comp or l-comp materials offered by the b-quiet company would be the best bet for headliner deadening. you would probably just need some extra 3m spray on adhesive to have it stick properly.

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am not sure about that. Remember gravity works! I would rather paint it! (Link) But it could be messy. The end result would be great though.

Maybe we should investigate Don's suggestion and go with foam....I really like this idea.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I did it the "poor man's way". Went to foam rubber outlet, bought several yards of same. Cut out foam with electric knife (yep, just like you use on Thanksgiving to carve the bird). Took better part of a Saturday afternoon and 3 beers. Did all the doors, kick panel (there's a BIG open tube right behind the kick panel). Put just regular old batt house insulation behind plastic fender wells; just a "snap" to get them off. Did not do roof panel. Took it off, but by the time I allowed room for the sunroof panel to open, the thickness available for sound insulation wasn't much. Another place where a lot of noise comes in is under the center console near the firewall. No factory insulation there. Just remove the kick panel beside the accelerator pedal.

Used 3M 77 spray adhesive to hold all the foam rubber in place. Also added a third weatherstrip along the door jambs. Got the weatherstrip from soff seal.

Major difference in cabin quietness. I can use my Motorola low-quality cell mic, where I couldn't before because of road noise.

Got it so airtight now that when I fart, the window deflects :eek:

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
NCtravellinman said:
Major difference in cabin quietness. I can use my Motorola low-quality cell mic, where I couldn't before because of road noise.

Got it so airtight now that when I fart, the window deflects :eek:
Don't know about the second one, but I could use the first result...:)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts