Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did the paperwork for my new MO yesterday (picking up on Thursday), and wanted to share with you the wonderful add-ons my Trustworthy Nissan Dealer was inviting me to enrich my ownership experience:

• Enhanced Replacement Coverage - for a mere $1595, i would get 5 years of enhanced coverage that would cover everything my insurance policy doesn't in the case of a stolen or totalled vehicle. According to Mr. Sincere, my insurance policy only covers book value, and this policy would cover everything else, including difference between book and replacement value, deductable, car rental, tax, tags, etc.
  • Upgraded Security w/ Motion Detection - For the low, low price of $795, I can upgrade the keyless security system to include some "enhancements", the most notable being motion detection around the vehicle.
  • Auto Start - $599 - It's way cheaper at the local installer
  • LoJack - $1295
  • Environmental Treatment Package - Special undercoating and clearcoat for the bargain price of only $895.
Finally, since I'm such a special customer, his manager is allowing me to purchase the Replacement Coverage program, and he'll throw in the motion dection coverage for free! I feel so priviledged!

:bsflag:

I'm admittedly a bit tounge in cheek about this, but I need some level set on my thinking here:

The replacement coverage sounds like a scam (it's administered by a company called A Touch Of Class out of Schertz, TX), but I'm going to check with my insurance co. to see what they do cover. I've got a pretty good policy, so I'm not holding this one up too high.

The motion detection has some appeal, as we've seen the post about the HIDs that were literally ripped out of that poor MO. I also may get some discount from my insurer for having the additional coverage. OTOH, I've seen alarms systems blaring in full parking lots with nobody paying attention to them, so the pragmatic value here is debatable.

Like I said, the auto start can be found cheaper. My wife has it in her car, and she thinks it's wonderful. I could care less.

I never looked into it, but I believe LoJack can be installe cheaper at a local installation shop. There may be some insurance premium benefit to this as well. My problem w/ LoJack is that it doesn't deter, but rather recovers, possibly after the car has been ravaged. If it ever gets stolen and beaten to death, I wouldn't want anyone to find it!

Environmental Treatment - I can't believe they still try to get away with this crap. What an absolute ripoff!

I have till Thursday to make the call. Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Tell that dealer to go piss up a rope--period!

I purchased my gap insurance for $500 for my Murano--Enhanced replacement coverage....haha...sounds so technical...:rolleyes:
Lo-Jack should be tops $700 installed.
Auto-Start? Is this remote start? If so, don't pay over $200 for it. One note about remote start and the Murano, you will lose the automatic seat adjustment setting if you have this installed. If your wife and you have different seat settings programmed into 1 & 2 on the memory, your repsective remotes will adjust the seat, mirror, and pedals before you get in. (If you have the adjustable pedals.) If the dealer claims that you won't lose this feature, then have them share with everyone on this board because I don't believe anyone to date has accomplished this.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I love the way dealers give fancy name to their rip off...errr..."add-on" packages. My dealer tried to pass off the "Premier Package" to me, which for the grand sum of $500, would include a complete exterior and interior detailing (at the dealership) once a year for 3 years. The salesman claimed each detail usually costs $300. Well, if it was the "car wash" they gave my new Murano before they delivered it, I think my garden hose can do that for free hehe.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dookie,

I agree, it all sounds like a ripoff, and thank you for bring a few things to light.

I really don't have an interest in the remote start. My wife loves it in her car, but I have no problem parking my butt on a cold seat for the first few minutes. I appreciate the heads-up on screwing with the seat memory controls.

Any of these "enhancements" can be purchased cheaper in other places. The dealer makes it sound like it's an exclusive program to them. Even my credit union offered an extended warranty.

Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Hey no problem. Thats what I like about forums. This kind of stuff keeps the dealers from screwing me, or you. I learned the hard way with other cars before I becamed accustomed to the internet and all the resources that are within it.

I'm curiouos though, ask them about the remote start and tell them you don't want to lose the remote seat memory funtion. The look on their face would be interesting and proabably priceless. I don't think that they would expect people to know that until after they purcahase it. Hell, I didn't even know about it until I read the owner's manual one night, and I'm a "techie" kinda guy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
As a employee of a dealer, the only thing worth while is the Gap insurance, and it should cost around 5-600$ this will protect you against getting shorted by insurance if you have a total loss. The rest of it has merits, but you are very right about being able to get it much cheaper. If they go outside of the dealership to do any aftermarket stuff, it is usually marked up by policy of the dealer, so find your own vendors.

Hope this helps. and if anyone at your dealer asks I said nothing!! LOL

Tony

·
Registered
74 Posts
Gap insurance

I agree with Tony, the gap insurance may come in handy. Had a freind who totalled his car after one year ownership and had to pay the bank for a year on a car he did not have. I bought the insurance and it was only about $300.00 from my dealership.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you saying it was $300 for a multi-year plan, or $300 each year? The dealer wants $1500 for a 5-year plan. I agree that there may be benefits to it, but I'm wondering if I can't get a better price elsewhere.

Thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
msfiveiron said:
Did the paperwork for my new MO yesterday (picking up on Thursday), and wanted to share with you the wonderful add-ons my Trustworthy Nissan Dealer was inviting me to enrich my ownership experience:

• Enhanced Replacement Coverage - for a mere $1595, i would get 5 years of enhanced coverage that would cover everything my insurance policy doesn't in the case of a stolen or totalled vehicle. According to Mr. Sincere, my insurance policy only covers book value, and this policy would cover everything else, including difference between book and replacement value, deductable, car rental, tax, tags, etc.
  • Upgraded Security w/ Motion Detection - For the low, low price of $795, I can upgrade the keyless security system to include some "enhancements", the most notable being motion detection around the vehicle.
  • Auto Start - $599 - It's way cheaper at the local installer
  • LoJack - $1295
  • Environmental Treatment Package - Special undercoating and clearcoat for the bargain price of only $895.
Oh gee, where do I start.

Gap insurance shouldn't cost more than 300 bucks for the ENTIRE LIFE of the lease or financing. I paid 225 for gap insurance on my lease. The rest of that crap in the first item you listed is already covered by your insurance company in most cases.

A good security system is about 300 bucks INSTALLED at Circuit City. Most security systems are automatically engaged when you press your key fob to lock the doors. This is standard, not an option. So called motion detection is an alarm standard too. Here is a link to the most expensive alarm they sell at Circuit City. I'll bet you a coke that their system is no better.
http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&catoid=-8867&qp=0&bookmark=bookmark_2&oid=83461

Auto Start is included with many security systems, though not in the one I linked to above. Pep Boys has a system that does that. (personally I would never get this unless I lived somewhere like Alaska.)

I've never paid more than 550 bucks for Lojack, and that was INSTALLED.

Undercoating and clearcoat - Your car is clearcoated at the factory. Undercoating should ONLY be done if you live in an area that gets a lot of snow and thus gets a lot of salt on the roads. Also, some dealers apply undercoating in a piss poor manner. They get it on driveshafts and suspension components. It can throw a driveshaft out of balance or cause other components to malfuntion if done wrong. When I lived in DC, I wouldn't buy any car that had undercoating. I used a car wash instead.

Nearly all dealers add crap like VIN window etching to their cars in the hopes that some sucker will pay for it. However, this dealer is over the edge IMO. Just walk away and go to another dealer. If there is no other dealer in your area, just stay firm and say no or buy over the internet.

·
Registered
203 Posts
(personally I would never get this unless I lived somewhere like Alaska.)
I am well aware this is a personal preference but I have used an autostart in all my vehicles for about 10 years and simply love the feature assuming you have auto climate control coupled with an automatic. I find it really nice to be able to start my car before cleaning up my desk at the office and come out to a vehicule which is warm or cool. (depending on the season.) Another big bonus is the engine is fully warmed up and ready to scoot. Definately something I will always have on all new purchases. Just my .02 cents. :D

·
Registered
180 Posts
If you're considering an "enhanced" security system and possibly the remote starter, then look at DEI's Python systems. A couple of them combine the security and starter in one, along with a checked-out FOB/remote pager. You should be able to get the DEI system complete for no more than the cost of the security upgrade alone (according to the dealer), and that's at the most! I had a DEI security/starter combo installed on our Frontier for $950, taxes in, Canadian $$.

Having said all that, I don't know if the starter is worth losing the seat memory. I'd hate to lose a feature I theoretically paid for.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Python, yea, thats the one I couldn't remember. You can get a top of the line Python system at Car Toys for 400 bucks. It's about 150 for an install. It has a remote starter too.

You've got a good point about the memory seats. I've never considered if an aftermarket system could be used with the existing system.

·
Registered
243 Posts
For all auto-start worshippers:

Consider this, for this to work, installer has to make a 'hole' in the security system to start the car. For cars equiped with individualized chip based security, they disable it either by handing the head of the key next to ignition or otherwise disable the system. Remember, Nissan WILL not start without the 'authorizedl' ksy normally.

I rather have iron clad security than autostart.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
CVeeT said:
For all auto-start worshippers:

Consider this, for this to work, installer has to make a 'hole' in the security system to start the car. For cars equiped with individualized chip based security, they disable it either by handing the head of the key next to ignition or otherwise disable the system. Remember, Nissan WILL not start without the 'authorizedl' ksy normally.

I rather have iron clad security than autostart.

True, I recently moved to a pretty cold area and I still would rather have my car be cold than stolen! I believe the new Chevy Malibu has factory remote start. I think GM vehicles have the chip in the key as well, so maybe one day all cars will have that option.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It turns out my credit union (through which I secured my car loan) offers the gap insurance for $169 for the life of the loan - 60 months in my case, which was the same length as the dealer's $1595 offer. From the CU, it's a decent deal.

I also talked to my insurance company to find out what kind of premium relief I would get with LoJack - it's a grand total of about $30 per year! The credit union offered it at $595, so even at that price it would require I own the car for 20 years before I break even. I've never had a car stolen, so I don't have first hand appreciation of the value for LoJack.

I've only had one vandalization incedent, where some joker took the hubcaps off a 1996 VW Jetta while I was at the movies. It had to be some kids, because no professional would do something so dumb. I was looking at aftermarket alloys anyway, and that just sort of helped my decision.

·
Registered
466 Posts
When and if you get aftermarket alloys, be careful which ones you choose because if you have the Tire Pressure Monitoring System, only certain wheels will work due to valve stem compatibility.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Almost all new auto start/security systems sold today have a brake interlock. If your vehicle is running and someone gets into it, they won't be able to drive it unless they have the ignition key.

Once they step on the brake pedal to shift out of park, if the key isn't in the ignition and turned to the on position, the engine will immediatley die.

I think your memory seats will also still work.

When I approach my Mo, I unlock it with the keyfob, then when I put the key in the ignition, my seat moves to it's saved postion for me.

What would be different about this process with a remote start/security system. You'd still have your old keyfob and you'd still be using your key, right?

·
Registered
148 Posts
msfiveiron said:
It turns out my credit union (through which I secured my car loan) offers the gap insurance for $169 for the life of the loan - 60 months in my case, which was the same length as the dealer's $1595 offer. From the CU, it's a decent deal.

I also talked to my insurance company to find out what kind of premium relief I would get with LoJack - it's a grand total of about $30 per year! The credit union offered it at $595, so even at that price it would require I own the car for 20 years before I break even. I've never had a car stolen, so I don't have first hand appreciation of the value for LoJack.

I've only had one vandalization incedent, where some joker took the hubcaps off a 1996 VW Jetta while I was at the movies. It had to be some kids, because no professional would do something so dumb. I was looking at aftermarket alloys anyway, and that just sort of helped my decision.
LoJack isn't about money. It's about conveinence and peace of mind. For instance, if someone steals your car and God Forbid you're kid is in there (it happens), the chances of you seeing your kid again are vastly better with Lojack or OnStar than without.

Man I wish you could get OnStar as an aftermarket add on. I tried it out in my buddy's Suburban once when we were on a long road trip. That service is worth every friggin penny IMO.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a signed deal for an '04 from the dealer with Lojack (per my request) for $450 installed (They claim that's their cost)

Had another dealer trying to persuade me into buying guidepoint which is GPS based instead.

http://www.guidepointsystems.com/

They look to be similar to onstar.

Does anyone know much about these GPS based systems?
My understanding is that it needs Line of sight, doesnt work in garages/shipping containers etc. Kind of useless as an antitheft if you ask me...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Undercoating and clearcoat

I paid $900 for an undercoat, clearcoat, and interior protection from my dealer.

I live in Chicago so an undercoat is good to have. If anything rusts under my car, any of my paint job is messed up b/c of bird poop or acid rain, or any of my interior gets stained they will repair any damages. It's all just peace of mind to have especially since I dont wash my car all too often (I should though...black with a coat of white salt does not look good).

My bro-in-law has a black car too and he has rainspots all over his car b/c of acid rain and he's a carwash freak! I figured $900 sounds like a good deal if anything like that would happen to my Preciousss (a la Golem).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts