Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys pay the "dealer fees"?

I'm negotiating with an internet sales guy at Nissan dealership near me and we had a deal until he tried to slip in his $499 dealer fees. Luckily I pushed him for this info before driving 1 1/2 hours to the dealership to close the deal. I said I wouldn't pay that and the deal is off. How do you guys handle those preprinted worksheets with the "dealer fees" on them? When I do end up buying one I'm going to have them take the cost of the "dealer fees" off of the price of the Murano...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't know how it works in the US, but most Canadian dealerships add an ADMIN FEE from as low as C$99 to as high as C$399 which we have no choice to pay. You can try to counter that fee in the overall discount of the car, but it will show up on the invoice.

US$499 is around C$750. I can understand that high an admin fee if you're buying a Bentley.
:2:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I declined a deal for a Murano because of the dealer add ons for $700 which were not mentioned or included in the asking price. Because of edmonds.com I also knew to ask about these "extras" before driving out to the dealer.

Once you get a price quote, ask them to fax you a copy of the contract before going down there. If there are add ons or fees you don't want, tell them you won't take them.

As far as I am concerned, this standard business practice for car dealerships is criminal. It is the main reason I hate buying cars. Price deception is a lousy sales technique.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I believe there was an issue regarding additional "advertising and floorplanning fees" Nissan dealers were charging. Now Nissan has changed their "destination charge" to reflect those advertising fees, essentially making all of it non negotiable. Or at least thats what Edmunds.com says, that advertising and floor planning fees tend to be non negotiable. When I bought my Murano, I was not charged a destination fee because the salesman forgot to add it onto the sales contract. Lucky me.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
THere is a difference bewteen Nissan Fees and dealer fees.

Floorplan is a dealer expense. But it is, or should be, like the light bill. Necessary and very real, but part of doing business and should be paid out of the dealer profit.
Geeze the next thing they are going to want is a line item fro Mortgage expens. The building is also a real expense and it, thank goodness, come out of his profit. It is the coast of doing business.

About the only thing that does make sense is the Documentation fees. However dealers gouge here too.
Go to the CarMax site.
Print out a quote for a Murano.
CarMax makes a profit (They are still in business after all these years) charging $99 for a doc fee on any car.
I took that to my dealer and he came within $200 of matching CarMax price. He knew it would cost me at least that much to get to carMAx (700 miles away). So I said OK.
Then he loaded the $599 Doc fee on.
I showed him the Carmax price for the doc fee and he rewrote the deal and lowered the price of the car by $500 and then added the $599 Doc fee. End result was I paid $99 for th edoc fee.
Why did he do that? Why didn't he just lower the doc fee?
He can't.
In Florida, and I think most if not all states, everbody can pay different prices for the car, but everybody must pay
the same doc fee.

Crazy business.

Homer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts