Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was at the dealer today getting my recalls addressed (fuel sheild and seat belt webbing) and the dealer called me back saying the Mo needed the following:

- rear pads <2.5mm, also suggests flushing the brake fluide
- engine belt is cracking, should replace both as a pair
- power steering fluid is black, need to be replaced

Dealer quoted 731.00 plus tax. Like most other things at the dealer, this price seems too high. I may look around at other local mechanics to see if they can do it for half that price. Or, I may even try to do it myself as an avid home repair mechanic using the guidance of some tech tips from this forum.

I saw some great detailed tips on changing the brakes, but did not see any tips for the belts or power steering flush. If anyone has directions on how to do these repairs, or any other advice that would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Michaux

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
moshow-

I am, admittedly, a cynical SOB when it comes to car dealers. The belts are cracked? The power steering fluid is black? Rear pads are bad? Brake fluid flush? I am surprised they did not recommend a CVT fluid change and undercoating.

First of all... How many miles are on your MO? Nissan recommends checking the belts at 60,000 miles (or 4 years) , and then every 15,000 miles thereafter. The belts should be just fine. Nissan does not publish any recommended interval for replacing either the brake fluid or the power steering fluid. Both fluids are designed to last much longer than the 2 years they have been in your MO.

I suggest you take your car to a reputable garage (or another dealer) and have them look over your car. It is entirely possible the rear pads need to be replaced, but I am doubtful about the other items.

-njjoe

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
My reputable dealer has just informed me that my belts are cracking, at 84,000 miles and 3.5 years.

The rear brake pads I had done at about the mileage you're at, and are due for their second change quite soon.

I would say go somewhere else for your service.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Black power fluid and cracked belts at 43K..... geesh that doesn't sound right at all. Tell them you can't do it now, make an appointment for next week get the car back without them touching anything but don't play it that way. Then look at this yourself. Is the PS fluid really black?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey fellow Mo owners! The brake fluid being refreshed will save $ in the long run 4 sure. But can be done with nothing but a bulbed turkey baster, Jam a hose on the spout and suck it out the reservoir. This isn't going to change it all but will refresh its ability to keep the water from forming in system. add to same level with new from a new sealed container. Don't fill past the level it was at cause this tells you where your pads are at on wear and could overflow when pads are renewed. I think the Mo should be using DOT 4 but make sure. Works for the P/S fluid or any other fluid. Just make sure you don't get B fluid on any paint or any thing you don't want rusted or screwed up! B- pads should be a synch as long as the rotors aren't warped or grooved. :2:

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Suggestion: For a complete brake fluid change I would bleed it from all four wheels.

If you are thinking about doing it yourself look here:

Brake Job

·
Registered
27 Posts
Local Nissan dealer in the Chicago burbs told me the same thing about the brakes, but didn't try to sell me on some of the other stuff. My rear brakes are at 20%, the front at 40% at 44K and they wanted ~$400 to do all four. This is an '04, and does get quite a fair amount of stop and go unfortunately, so faster wear is inevitable. Why the rear are going so much faster than the front stymies me a bit, but maybe they got aggressive on the proportioning valve. Funny when the guy told me that driving with only 40% on the front isn't safe and he was uncomfortable letting me leave in that state.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
He was probably uncomfortable letting you leave period

At $400 he was losing a good deal of profit. If you have the time it is a nice way to save a bundle on a DIY Saturday. If you like it you could also take the time to clean and paint your calipers.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
moshow said:
Hi,

I was at the dealer today getting my recalls addressed (fuel sheild and seat belt webbing) and the dealer called me back saying the Mo needed the following:

- rear pads <2.5mm, also suggests flushing the brake fluide
- engine belt is cracking, should replace both as a pair
- power steering fluid is black, need to be replaced

Dealer quoted 731.00 plus tax. Like most other things at the dealer, this price seems too high. I may look around at other local mechanics to see if they can do it for half that price. Or, I may even try to do it myself as an avid home repair mechanic using the guidance of some tech tips from this forum.

I saw some great detailed tips on changing the brakes, but did not see any tips for the belts or power steering flush. If anyone has directions on how to do these repairs, or any other advice that would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Michaux
If the rear pads are low, then they should be replaced (not a bad idea to bleed the brake lines either). Its unusual for an engine belt to be cracking at only 43k miles, but I suppose its possible. The belt itself is about $20 (well, actually $10, but I'm factoring dealer markup) and takes 30 minutes to replace, so ok, that's $80 max for that job. As for the power steering fluid being dark - did you actually check it yourself to make sure it was dark? Along the same line, you can also check the serpentine belt for cracks, to see if the dealer was just feeding you a line.

·
5,244 Posts
I did a lot of maintenance at 60k. But the only thing I allowed dealer to do was CVT fluid and belts. All the rest I have done myself. It is possible that the break pads are worn at 43k. My lasted 53k on Murano and 32k on FX. I guess it depends on how and where you drive.

It is very unlikely if impossible for power steering fluid to "go black". I am sure dealer is simply lying. Belts - most likely they are fine. Again, dealer is feeding you BS as he assumes you are not able to check it out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Such a familiar tale...

So my Murano went into the shop after the mount on the idler pulley broke while still under warranty, sending the belt flying. The dealer subseqently says that "as part of your 30,000-mile maintenance," I need:

1. Changing the in-cabin microfilter for a mere $150.

2. Flushing and changing the brake fluid.

3. Giving the car a four-wheel alignment (all tires wearing evenly, no pull on the steering, by the way)!

4. Cleaning out the fuel system.

Together, this was about $800 worth of work that's not even on the maintenance schedule. The guy made the suggestion with a straight face, and I was once again reminded of why I hate having my car serviced at a dealer...not to mention my suspicion that the pulley mount cracked because a bolt was overtightened the LAST time the car went to the dealer, for a new alternator on a recall...

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Frobozz-

I would guess that for every person like you who will turn around and walk out after being presented with an $800 quote for non-essential services, there are at least two or three others who will pull out the checkbook and authorize the work.

-njjoe

·
Registered
30 Posts
Oh, I forgot...

...they also wanted to change the power steering fluid (which helps explain the total bill). So: In-cabin microfilter (necessary but they wanted $150!), fuel system cleaning (debatable at best), brake fluid change (completely unnecessary), power steering fluid change (ditto) and four-wheel alignment (likewise).

Now, they also wanted to do this work even though there's probably reason to suspect *they* caused the problem that led to me being forced to bring the Murano to them under warranty.

That warranty will expire in a few K miles and that dealer will never see my Murano again. Even if something goes wrong that would cause me to bring the Murano to a Nissan shop (basically a CVT problem and only a CVT problem), it's not going to *this place.*

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I'm not even sure you can DO a 4 wheel alignment on a Murano.

My local Mobil Quick Change does the Cabin filter for 39.95 complete.
They've done so many of them , it takes them all of 90 seconds.

Homer

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
hfelknor said:
I'm not even sure you can DO a 4 wheel alignment on a Murano.

My local Mobil Quick Change does the Cabin filter for 39.95 complete.
They've done so many of them , it takes them all of 90 seconds.

Homer
I think you can, but the one that affects the steering the most is the front wheels, so sometimes a 2 wheel thrust alignment is the only one necessary.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts