Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The local dealer still has 5 new 2004 models on the lot. Pretty much the upper line versions - SL + touring and maybe Nav or DVD - still on the lot.

Do you think they are in a big time dealing mode at this point? I really like the extra features of the '05 but grabbing an 04 decked out for a good price would be nice.

Any one work at or know someone who works for a dealer to give me and idea of what stance the dealer would take on these?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I recommend researching before you decide to jump on an 04.

My opinion... and only my opinion, if you want a left over... I recommend waiting until they have the 06's on the lot so you can get a leftover 05. Seriously, the 05's have some of the 03's and 04 kinks worked out from what I understand. Steering at low speed, the back wiper... Spend the extra money and get the 05. Just my opinion. Others might say otherwise.... Whatever you decide, good luck.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
I agree with TheGymkid, but up to a point. I ahve a 04 and am very happy with it. The dealer would love nothing more than get rid of the 04s, even at a loss. Negotiate with them and see if you can buy the fully loaded 04 only if they are willing to sell it to you below their cost of a of a 05 S model, the most basic MO, , Remember, I said their cost...NOT MSRP for a S model without any of the add ons . If they are not willing to do it, then it is not a bargain so don't bother with it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are all probably right, now that I know what an '05 offers I would be disappointed unless I saved a big sack of cash on the '04. I guess it does not hurt to ask what they are willing to do.

I still have not fully decided what / when to buy so I have some time to mull it over a bit.

·
4,664 Posts
I would go fight for the best deal you can on an '05 to the point where you truly believe you aren't going to do better. Then tell him you'd consider an '04, but he has to make it worth your while, as you have the following concerns and list them out for him.

If he wants to get rid of them, he'll bargain. If not, you already have the answer on the '05. And if he's somewhere in between, ask him what it would take to get the '05 down to the '04 price. My answer would be "another year", but hey, you don't ask, you don't get. Ask a lot and be ready to walk out the door after he's invested some time with you.:D

Would you be happy with an '04? Yeah. All Murano's are the same vehicle, no matter the year, with some small subtle tweaks. There is nothing major in difference between the years. The alternator crap shoot, is nothing you can control. Mines still fine over two years now and most Muranos are, even though the failure rate has been too high for those that aren't. The steering "issue" I have noticed once, in the over two years of driving. I can force it to happen, if I try, but normally it's not an issue. However I do believe driving style impacts this. I'm not a timid driver, so the engine revs are usually off idle which would overcome the potential for issues in normal driving. I do believe it could be an issue if you're cruising along at low engine rpm, slam on the brakes, steer to avoid and then quickly back. But your own adrenaline will likely overcome the additional resistance!

The '04 already has additional menu items for control of things like the light delay, which the '03 doesn't.

But other than some small tweaks, it's still the same vehicle across all three model years.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can't speak for other parts of the country, but here in Phoenix the dealers are willing to move 2005 models. I just purchased a Loaded 05 and before it was all said and done, the dealership had come down $150 per month and $5500 in down payment. I suggest you take a look at an 05 before you go upside down in an 04.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I would not go upside down in anything I hope. I would trade my paid off car and do the rest in cash - no loan would be involved.

Also, I never talk payments with a dealer as it gives them too much wiggle room.

Good to know they are willing to deal on an '05 as I have a spreadsheet of what I want and all invoice cost. I want to get it under invoice before the rebate which should be possible.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
MKevin3 said:
The local dealer still has 5 new 2004 models on the lot. Pretty much the upper line versions - SL + touring and maybe Nav or DVD - still on the lot.

Do you think they are in a big time dealing mode at this point? I really like the extra features of the '05 but grabbing an 04 decked out for a good price would be nice.

Any one work at or know someone who works for a dealer to give me and idea of what stance the dealer would take on these?
I found this in another thread....

05 Changes by Gripperdon

As I work on the new Mo, I keep seeing new things that are different from the 04. Being in kind of a unique situation of having had both recently I can hopefully be a good observer. If I make errors about the 04 please correct me. And ADD YOU OWN PLEASE!

I'll start detailing them here, l come back here and add more as I run across them, or they are reported on the forum.

1. Intelligent Key.
2. Rear view Camera.
3. Roll Sensor for Side Air Cushion Activation.
4. Changed Cup Holder in Front.
5. Different shade Black Leather Interior.
6. Pre wired for entertainment System.
7. Rear Hatch opens with a push panel.
8. Intelligent lock buttons on front door handles and rear hatch.
9. New power steering mechanism.
10. The seat track is longer and different as least on drivers side.
11. Assist Handle over drivers door.
12. Battery is bigger.
13. Brighter Light indicators next to shifter.
14. Rear Cup holder opens with a button.
15. Improved Alternator output curve.
16. AWD lock now goes off at 6mph instead of 19.
17. NAV display unit wired differently
18. Enlarged Sunroof.
19. SRS timing changed.
20. Rear Hatch hinge covers.
21. Improved rear window Wiper.
22. Consumer Reports Recommendation.

·
Registered
545 Posts
#14 on the list has me confused, since I have an 04 model and my rear cup holder opens with a button as well.

14. Rear Cup holder opens with a button.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts