Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay all, I just picked up my Platinum 06 with Touring pkg today. I waffled on the Satelite option all the while believing I could have it installed *later* at a similiar price as what comes from factory (yes sometimes I get delusional. :) )

Anyhow, factory price is somewhere around 350-380. I called a dealer in Austin, TX and they quoted $775 for parts and labor to get XM installed. Seems a bit high to me. Anyone with experience on dealer installs care to comment?

Also, how hard is it to install the components if the vehicle is already pre-wired like mine is? I'll do it myself if it is relatively simple and does not require any car part mods...

Thanks all,

CTX

·
Registered
12,512 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
njjoe said:
Ctx-

Check out the following thread. It should answer all of your questions concerning the DIY Sat installation.

http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=209

I hope this helps.

-njjoe
Njjoe, I saw that thread but it doesn't give me a good idea of what us lay-women should do. I'm an engineer but am squiffy on making mods to my own car when I haven't done it before. :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
CTX,

It's very easy to install the satellite radio parts, especially when the wiring harness from the head unit to the rear of the car is already installed. Believe me, if I can do it, anyone can. Take a look at the pictures from my install, ignore the ones related to the wiring harness (labeled "Trim," "Harness," and "Head Unit") and focus only on the installation of the tuner and the antenna, and you'll see how easy it is. Good luck!

Satellite Radio Installation

·
Registered
9 Posts
It is by far the easiest thing I have ever done to any of my vehicles.
I did not believe how easy it would be until I did it myself.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
scott1972 said:
It is by far the easiest thing I have ever done to any of my vehicles.
I did not believe how easy it would be until I did it myself.
What year Murano do you have? My dealer is telling me that the receiver goes behind the radio and can be used with the existing antenna (or a new one goes in that location - front of car). I've seen this story in other posts as well and am not sure why the dealer can't get their story straight if the module goes by the subwoofer in the rear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oh, and on the '06, it does not install behind the radio, it installs behind the driver's side back seat between the cargo floor and the wheel well, just like the Bose Amp on the passenger side.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ctx said:

What year Murano do you have? My dealer is telling me that the receiver goes behind the radio and can be used with the existing antenna (or a new one goes in that location - front of car). I've seen this story in other posts as well and am not sure why the dealer can't get their story straight if the module goes by the subwoofer in the rear.
To be blunt, your dealer is either lying to you or is too stupid to do the installation. The only reason to access the area behind the head unit is to install the wiring harness, which you don't need to do with any Murano after the 2003 model year, as the wiring harness is already installed. Look for it yourself. It should be coiled up next to the amp, which is behind the passenger side rear seat. The tuner doesn't go by the subwoofer. The subwoofer is on top of the spare tire. The tuner goes behind the driver's side rear seat. The antenna at the front of the vehicle is an AM/FM antena, and nothing more. It will not work with your satellite radio. The satellite antenna goes at the rear of the vehicle, either on the roof just in front of the hatchback or in the third brake light area (for a hidden antenna installation). Look at the pictures, and do the install yourself. You'll be glad you did when you take that $700+ and buy something wonderful with it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ctx said:

I have an 04 Murano. Your dealer is lying or stupid. I paid $256 for the tuner and antenna and installed mine myself. I got 3 months free service and free activation. Grubbs Infiniti Online.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
scott1972 said:

I have an 04 Murano. Your dealer is lying or stupid. I paid $256 for the tuner and antenna and installed mine myself. I got 3 months free service and free activation. Grubbs Infiniti Online.
Yea, I called a dealer in Houston and the install price changed from the 775 to 458.

So did you have to snip any metal when you installed the antenna? This is what concerns me.. I'm not too handy. :) If no snipping required then I would do myself.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Try searching for "hidden hatch". Many including myself have done this and it works great. (See my gallery for pictures)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ctx said:

Yea, I called a dealer in Houston and the install price changed from the 775 to 458.

So did you have to snip any metal when you installed the antenna? This is what concerns me.. I'm not too handy. :) If no snipping required then I would do myself.
I put my antenna in the 3rd brake light without no snipping . It is so easy you will be so suprised at how easy it is. If you lived close by I would do it for you.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
scott1972 said:

·
Registered
190 Posts
I picked up my '06 Murano SL AWD at the end of Feb., '06. I bought it with the Touring Package. The dealer charged me $350. total to install the Nissan XM module. Pretty good price. I can't imagine how a dealer can justify charging much more since this is the difference between the factory installed price with and without the XM Sat. Radio Module.

Good Luck!

Alan

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
scott1972 said:

I put my antenna in the 3rd brake light without no snipping . It is so easy you will be so suprised at how easy it is. If you lived close by I would do it for you.
LOL! If you could do drywall also I'd buy you a ticket to come out here. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
TexInFla said:

The only reason to access the area behind the head unit is to install the wiring harness, which you don't need to do with any Murano after the 2003 model year, as the wiring harness is already installed.
Is this true even for the 2006 S series, with the most basic of options?

I left the dealer yesterday sad thinking id have to pay an additional $8,000 in options just to get my XM!.. after discovering this site, I feel I am back in the running for a Murano in the next couple of months.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts