Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
The Phone Booth Fanatic
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve always felt that the Muranos had a bit too much information stuck to their rear end. I know that Nissan needs to indicate the make, model, version, and equipment packages for all their cars, but man, it just looks too cluttered for my taste. I debadged my black 2009 LE (except for the Nissan burger) and really liked how it looked, so I decided to do the same for my 2017.5 Midnight Edition. There’s so much visually going on at the rear end of these Gen 3’s, especially it’s flowing hump and sculptured lines, that what worked on my Gen 2, sure didn’t work this time. The more emblems I removed, the worse it looked, so I decided to try something totally different. Starting with a blank canvas, so to speak, I made it look cleaner, but different, with just the important info. It might even pass as OEM if no one knew any better. I had a extra set of the larger “MURANO” letters from the 2009 LE and a “3.5” Nissan/Infiniti emblem that never made it on that car either. People always ask me what size engine in the Murano. I'm still not sure about the "3.5" badge and may take it off, but will live with it a while and see if it grows on me. All in all, I like the new look!

So, attached are a few photos of my 2017.5 rear hatch from stock to totally debadged to what it is now. If someone here is considering debadging their Gen 3, this should give you an idea what it will look like.

Take care!

Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
Wow, I'm loving the " M U R A N O" letters where you placed them. I'm going to check Ebay or Amazon and see if I can find something similar. Were those just the letters on the 2009 Murano version then, nothing else special? Definitely passes as OEM, and makes it actually look like you've got a futuristic newer version of the Murano :)

What kind of glue did you use to attach them? And to take the glue off from the parts that you removed, did you just use a Compound? When I took off my dealer's sign when I first bought the car, I had to scrub the area with a compound a few times because the glue was so stuck on there.

The 3.1 looks good as well. Any ideas for the left side? Maybe the "Platinum AWD" there?

·
The Phone Booth Fanatic
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, just standard 2009-2014 Murano rear emblem. They come as a complete set, all attached to a foam holder with adhesive backs. Purchase on eBay or at Nissan parts dept. I just cut the foam holder apart for the individual letters and placed them about 3" apart (center to center). Use a hair dryer, fishing line and Goo-Gone to remove original letters. My car is only 5 months old and garage kept, so no rubbing compound was needed after removing the old adhesive. I added the "3.5" emblem for the non-symetrical look. Nothing is going on the other side. Take care!

Jim

Reactions: se2007

·
Registered
370 Posts
Great looking changes. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Jim,
I like it! The MURANO only badge look is great. If you had a black mo, it might look good without any badges, but for the white, I think you got it right :)

·
Registered
544 Posts
I like it. It's something different. Personally I'd ditch the 3.5 logo but that's subjective.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Looks nice, you did a great job...

As someone pointed out, the 3.5 needs to go. Most people don't know what 3.5 stands for anyway when looking at the car

·
The Phone Booth Fanatic
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As someone pointed out, the 3.5 needs to go.
I was probably taking it off when you typed your reply! :laugh:

It was bugging me and all I needed was a few of you guys confirming my thoughts. Thanks for the comments and most of all opinions! Take care!

Jim

·
Registered
49 Posts
Looks Great! Personally did not mind the 3.5 badge as many of the SUV's in this class are coming base with a 4 Cylinder (aka Highlander). PS - Don't run out and stick it back on -very subjective. Lincoln is starting to give their SUV's this treatment with the word Lincoln large and in the same general area. May find the 2019 Murano stock from the factory with your look! Appears OEM and very upscale.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Very sharp looking, Red. Also extremely brave of you to start mods on a 6 month old car. Well done

Reactions: se2007

·
Registered
2010 Mo' LE, CVT Auto, FWD
71 Posts
Looks great! I appreciate your effort. :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Added the new look to my Murano as well!

Thanks for the idea, Red Kiosk - I never would have thought of doing this if I hadn't seen your post :D

Attachments

·
The Phone Booth Fanatic
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Love it! :29:

·
The Phone Booth Fanatic
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Love the rebadge, great job! how much larger is the 2009 Murano nameplate than the 3rd generation nameplate?
Hey, thanks! The 2nd generation MURANO letters are 1" tall whereas those on the 3rd generation are 5/8" tall.

Hope this helps and take care!

Jim

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I was probably taking it off when you typed your reply! :laugh:

It was bugging me and all I needed was a few of you guys confirming my thoughts. Thanks for the comments and most of all opinions! Take care!

Jim
I'm generally a grumpy old man (as you probably have figured out by now) when it comes to people changing OEM stuff on their cars. However, I really like the back end with just the M U R A N O badge. I think Nissan should go with this. When I get my 2018, I may look at doing the same thing. It's really nice and clean.

·
The Phone Booth Fanatic
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm generally a grumpy old man (as you probably have figured out by now)....

Thanks Halwg!

I can finally forgive you for saying my day-old white 2017.5 Midnight Edition looked like a Police cruiser! :laugh:

I'm a designer by profession, so poor design keeps bugging me until I can figure out how to correct it. I like to personalize my cars, but always with something that could pass as OEM. It gets the other owners scratching their heads. Thanks again. You're going to love your 2018. Take care!

Jim

1 - 20 of 33 Posts