Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have been monitoring this and other sites during my on going and in depth research into my possible purchase of a 04/05 SL/SE AWD, and I have a few lingering questions and concerns. Please be gentle and use SMALL words when responding :)

I have been greatly impressed with the overall satisfaction and pride displayed by the owners of the Murano. However, I have also noticed that there seems to be many maintenance problems experienced on a disturbingly wide scale. I have also observed that the problems seems to be less frequent in the 2004 models, and therefore may be fewer still in the 2005. The problems include, but are not limited to the following:

1. Wide spread reports of lowwer then reported gas mileage
2. Alternator problems
3. Pulling to left/ right
4. Rattling in all windows
5. Extremely loud pillar noise
6. Brake judder
7. Cheap bumper/interior materials

Now, I understand fully that there is no such thing as a perfect vehicle, and I am willing to accept occasional annoyances and part failures. So what I am asking for you all is your honest opinion on the overall satisfaction with the Murano. Do the benefits outweigh the deficits? Would you recommend this vehicle to me or better yet and friend or family member?

Lastly, what is the consensus on the quality of ride between the SE and SL models? I know that Nissan touts the SE model as a sportier version with tighter suspension and handling. Is there a lot of ride quality lost in that sportier feel, I ask because I am not looking for a bone jarring, teeth clicking ride, but I also don’t want an undue amount of body roll or under steer.

My expected purchase time is within the next thirty days, so I am right on the cusp of the 04/05 models. I will be test-driving both the SE and SL this weekend.

Thank you very much for your time and attention, I look forward to reading all of your responses.

·
Registered
842 Posts
decision time

In regards to comments on the issues for the Mo you are right about a car never being perfect. In the whole time That I have had my Mo the only issue has been the alternator and a leaking diff seal, which my dealer fixed right away with no problems. You will find horror stories on dealers, I am lucky that I have a great dealership that believes in customer service.

In regards to the fuel economy, I look at this as part of the game. The Mo is a dream to drive regardless of the speed, which effects the fuel consumption. In my experience cruising on the highways going toward Banff I can get 9.0 lts/100Km ( 30 MPG per Imperial gallon). I think thaty you will find it doesn't really matter what you drive as much as how fast you are going.

As the price of fuel goes up I believe that maybe we will all slow down to keep our hard earned money in our jeans.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Comment, first on the list. I have none of the first 6 problems on your list, the last is a matter of personal opinion.

I love the SL ride no problem with roll at all, and I would certainly get and 05. I have owned many many cars including at least 10 New Mercedes Benzes everything from SLK to S class with Diesel thrown in. A G35 etc. and worked in the auto industry for years. I would buy another MO in a heartbeat and I feel you will love it. It's the best combination of features for a SUV like vehicle I have found. I could have bought any SUV and chose the MO.

I don't like the SE ride personally, its not as bad as a FX but getting there. GO MO and Good Luck Buy yourself a Christmas Present in one of those great new colors. GRIP :D

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
I have not had any major problems with my Mo either. The drive is so smooth that I have to constantly watch my speedometer to make sure I don't exceed the speed limit (well, saty below 80 Mph!) My personal preference was the SL suspension although I have to say that even SL ride can be rough over certain surfaces. The biggest problerm I have with MO suspension is that if and when I hit a pothole, it feels that the whole wheel just broke away. Other than that, and on a semi smooth surface, it feels like you are inside a plane!

I would buy a Murano again. I would probably get a 05 as more of the bugs such as the steering issue have been reportedly resolved.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I've had none of the problems above, but have had an odd ticking noise from the left front brake caliper that the dealer cannot fix (and is thought to be more of a nuisance than a safety issue).

That said, the only other vehicles in this category which would give you FEWER problems are the Honda Pilot and Toyota Highlander. I find both of these cars boring, uninspired functional transportation. The Murano has unique styling inside and out, HIDs, dual exhaust outlets, a CVT, the VQ engine, 18" alloys and in SE trim, reasonably spirited handling for an SUV. Those features make the Murano far more appealing to me than the yawners like the Pilot and Highlander.

You would have to go up in price to an X5/MDX/RX330 to approach the package that the Murano represents IMO.

·
4,994 Posts
UGH! Glad the "Pilot" did not land this at my house.!

Attachments

·
NO-MO-SNOW
891 Posts
Halo said:
I've had none of the problems above, but have had an odd ticking noise from the left front brake caliper that the dealer cannot fix (and is thought to be more of a nuisance than a safety issue).

That said, the only other vehicles in this category which would give you FEWER problems are the Honda Pilot and Toyota Highlander. I find both of these cars boring, uninspired functional transportation. The Murano has unique styling inside and out, HIDs, dual exhaust outlets, a CVT, the VQ engine, 18" alloys and in SE trim, reasonably spirited handling for an SUV. Those features make the Murano far more appealing to me than the yawners like the Pilot and Highlander.

You would have to go up in price to an X5/MDX/RX330 to approach the package that the Murano represents IMO.
I think that this encompasses my feelings as well. Unlike some of the others, I have suffered from some of the mentioned issues:
1. Left wheel tick -not a big deal
2. Lower gas mileage -not the vehicles fault...I enjoy the sound of the engine
3. Rattling in all windows

I've also had the following:
-Rattling in rear hatch
-Steering wheel thunk

The ones that bugged me the most were the rattles. These could have been fixed by any half-brained dealer, which, unluckily I did not buy my car from. So instead I bought some insulation, removed the door panels and eliminated it myself. Now the car is noticably quieter and as fun to drive as it was the day I bought it.

Any of the other SUVs available at the time of my purchase did not offer these items at a reasonable price, which were a must:
HID Lights
Navigation
18 inch wheels
TPMS
Heated Seats
Dual exhaust outlets
Style

Most impressive to me was the CVT. I hate the way an automatic seems to hunt for gears and lurch forward. The CVT is responsive, smooth, and a blast to weird your friends out with. It makes highway driving a blast.

I've had my car for almost a year and a half now and despite some periods of frustration (dealer - rattles) I have never been happier with a car and the Murano has NEVER given me any real trouble, instead it always offers me a solid comfortable ride in any season.

In short, this is a good car. It comes with quirks just like any other car, however, these quirks are a rarity, unlike the good times.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Wide spread reports of
1. lowwer then reported gas mileage: Mine has been less than advertised, but I acknowldge that I drive too fast. I blame the vehicle, it's a delight to drive. I've had one regular and 4 photoradar tickets in 6 months. It is so smooth the tickets usually come as a surprise. Still, my mileage is better to much better than anything else - due to the VY.
2. Alternator problems- none
3. Pulling to left/ right -nope
4. Rattling in all windows-nope
5. Extremely loud pillar noise-nope
6. Brake judder-nope
7. Cheap bumper/interior materials-never noticed that

The only rattles I've had are when the passenger side seat belt fastener gets caught between the door and the seat. The only problem I've had with the vehicle at all, other than speeding tickets, is a faulty gas cap door solenoid. Fixed without fuss on warranty.

I have no regrets buying this vehicle.

·
Registered
40 Posts
2. Alternator problems
6. Brake judder

I've had my SE for 6 months now and currently have 12,000 miles on it. It has not been back to the dealer since I bought it. I've had none of the problems listed although I do have a rattle in the rear hatch. Haven't had time to fool with it yet, but I don't trust the dealer to fix it so will tackle it myself when I have time.

As far as the ride difference, I've never driven an SL so I can't compare to my SE. The SE suspension is definitely firm, but I've had people comment the first time they ride in it how nice it rides.

The transmissions is great - I love the fact there are no desernable gear shifts. Blows people away.

I'd buy another MO in a heart beat. Great Vehicle.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Murano

I love my ride, but have a few things that irritate me. Regarding the alternator -- I don't think this is the issue in cars other than 2003. I don't think any 04 cars had that problem, unless they were built in 03.

What I have in my ride is irritating rattles in both front doors and pinging of the engine. Rattles I can live with, but pinging is driving me up the wall. I stoped by my neighborhood stealer (they are 7 blocks away from me) and were told to "live with it because it is a problem with gas in California". You can imagine what I told that service advisor. I have 5000 mi on it since 08/2004 (built 06/2004), and the only problem that has been aparent is the pinging pretty much since week 2 or 3. Rattles came I would say around month 2 -- don't know why or how, but they are there.

I am going to the dealer that sold me the car to get my oil changed for free and to get these things looked at. Unfortunately this dealer is about 50 miles away from where I live, but I want to use the free oil change deal.

Other than that no mentioned problems have occured. I would buy the car again. Might go for 05 because of the camera, though I am thinking of ways to put one into my ride.

P.S. Found a few tiny chips on the bumper from the stones. Seem to be from the impact. Paint or clear coat don't seem to be pealing, but I am thinking of buying a Colgan full size bra to cover the hood and the front bumper which should solve the problem.

So this is my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
"I've had one regular and 4 photoradar tickets in 6 months. It is so smooth the tickets usually come as a surprise"

A Valentine radar detctor must be cheaper than that!

·
Registered
5 Posts
buy the Mo, you will be glad you did. My wife and I love the car/suv, and chances are you will too. No rattles yet,no mechanical problems,and as far as cheap materials, look around and and judge for yourself if they look cheap. If you want cheap look at the Sorrento . It's a good loking ride, and the SE sport suspension or what ever they call it is a little stiffer but not unreasonably so.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
paul harralson said:
If you want cheap look at the Sorrento .
You want really cheap then check out a Saturn Vue. Now that sets the standard in cheap looking interior.

·
4,601 Posts
I love mine and would buy another in a heartbeat. I keep looking for a better vehicle for me, and have yet to find one.

·
4,994 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought the SE in July and have 6,000 miles on it. I have never had a finer car. I would definately buy one again. One note, the only other car I seriously considered in addition to the Mo is the Saturn Vue redline. Performance is even slightly better.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Decision Time

I'll respond as best I can:

You can get fairly close with a light foot, plus Engine break in takes a little longer on the VQ than some others, mileage may improve once engine is fully broken in. I have a lead foot and am still averaging 18mph in mixed driving, which is much better than the Pathfinder and Rendezvous SUV's previously owned.

2. Alternator problems
They are real as witnessed by these forum members. Am I concerned - yes, but other vehicles have issues as well, look at Lexus and all the complaints about the RX330 transmission. I am not going to allow it to stop me from enjoying the Murano

Have not experienced this other than the natural Torque steer

My Mo definitely has the Rattles, hard to handle and I plan on attempting fix. Mine is an 04 and was built in Oct. 03. Until I get it fixed, I will continue to crank up the stereo.

Have not experienced this noise, although what your referring to may be the "rattles" that have been so well documented.

6. Brake judder
Had what I thought was the brake judder but was actually an out of balance wheel

Depends on what you are comparing to, Mercedes, Lexus, Volvo, and BMW are probably nicer but the old saying goes you get what you pay for and you are definitely going to pay for it in those vehicles.

Would I buy another Murano - In a heartbeat. This thing handles like a sports car IMO and the looks are head and shoulders above most other competitors. Take a look at some of the other folks on this board. Like Grip stated, he can probably afford any SUV he wants and he purchased a Murano. Of course this is a Murano site so I would say we are most definitely biased

·
4,994 Posts
Good Post pcs15394!

With all the heartbeats in this post we must all be in great health. I am even getting over my cold finally.

Sometimes I worry we give folks the wrong impression. They need to remember with active posters of about we are only about 500 out of over 100000 sold that is about 0.5% and we generally we don't have a lot of problems only a couple of stinkers and they can mostly be fixed and are.

We are particular folks. And that is good it helps improve the product. I wish Nissan would assign someone to read this forum it would help them.

Merry Christmas GRIP :D

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
My 2 cents....

I get 19.2 mpg and drive the hell out of it.
I have zero rattles.
Had a tick in the front left wheel area on accel/decel, but it was fixed by retorquing a motor mount.
No other problems.
Drives like a sports car, certainly nothing like a truck--and I have had many of those. Actually, this vehicle has better handling than my Z-28's and other camaros I have owned--at least while they were stock.
Sure, it rides a little hard---but as anything:
Want tires that grip? They will be soft and wear quickly.
Want a smooth ride? It will handle like a boat.
Want to accelerate fast? It will burn mucho gas.
and on and on...
My Mo is perfect for me.
I love it!
:D

·
Registered
261 Posts
05 so far realy happy

3 weeks old and GREAT so far no rattles. The ride is great I have the se with nav vsc. The CVT is nice. only 950 miles so will not play to much..GO MO I have been watching this site for 2 years I am happy with this crossover. COOL TO

GO MO

1 - 20 of 28 Posts