Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I kow we have talked about this but boy this is killing me. OK manually set the "full auto" feature on the environemental control so as NOT to have the AC running plus I wanted front defrost on (needed some light airflow).

OK I get behind a big truck.. really stinky... OK I'll just set the system to recirc until I get by him... but NO NO NO... the MO will not let me because I have defrost selected! Arrrggggggg!!! :mad:

·
Premium Member
2,064 Posts
Those dreaded "smarter than us" engineers.....I see that in a lot of things these days, i.e. "the machine is smarter than you" symptom.
Reminds me of a high speed impact printer I worked on long ago.
The first one was great athough it did have octal registers to glean symptom data from. The next generation they went from one z80 to several z80's. Oh dear. Maaaaan could that thing lie or irrationally confuse itself into going catatonic.
Sometimes I think they need to keep it simple, leave US to operate the controls.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,042 Posts
I agree, then I think about so many of my really old friends who, poor souls, can't seem to fathom anything more complicated than a rotary on / off volume switch. It's all part of the "Dumbing Down" process that is going on in the world generally and the fact that auto designers "Think" they need to accommodate the dumbest person who can drive. Finally the commonality of the auto devices makes to lowest apply to the most sophisticated.

I overheard some "Greeters at the service department" who I don't know about you, but I generally don't feel are the electronic PhD that were referred to in the thread on auto theft, Saying "You know I can never believe how stupid these owners are, how did they ever earn the money to even buy the damn car" the other guy said they didn't earn it someone must have given it to them.

So, Go figure.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Well, I've never been accused of being the sharpest knife in the drawer but I was able to figure out the HAC system on my MO.

As Gonzo alluded to though, I don't appreciate the deep thinkers designing this system so you can't recirculate air on defrost or maual split mode.

I'd love to take them on one of my subzero commutes behind a parade of trucks filling the cabin full of diesel exhaust. :16:

·
5,042 Posts
You see you are a knife some of the others are stone axes. :D

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Yeah I guess its annoying to not be able to temporarily engage recirc in defog mode. I can understand why it would not be allowed though, since most drivers do not know that the best defogging performance is with recirc off and AC on.

What I do it hit the auto button and then recirc if I need immediate recirc while in defog mode. Annoying yes to have the AC cycle on, but its better than a lung full of carbon monoxide.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Not sure where you reside Eric or what ambient temperatures you have to contend with, this problem seems to manifest itself at extremely cold temps (-25 and colder) when defrost and high fan speed are essential.

It is under these conditions that I would like to have the option of fresh or recirculated air. The only hazard I have experienced in the past with recirculated air is the tendency for the side windows to begin fogging if there is a lot of humidity in the cabin.

Using the Auto mode with recirc for any length of time results in the windshield and side windows fogging, the least viable solution to this problem of CO in the cabin.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
My post was meant to agree with what people have been posting. Yeah I have driven in conditions where the defog must be on to keep a clear windshield, and switching to another hvac mode is not an option. In such a case, I guess I'll have to open the windows if the fumes from the car ahead of me are too much to handle.

Man, why can't people keep their cars in good running order? grrrrr...

Trev said:
Not sure where you reside Eric or what ambient temperatures you have to contend with, this problem seems to manifest itself at extremely cold temps (-25 and colder) when defrost and high fan speed are essential.

It is under these conditions that I would like to have the option of fresh or recirculated air. The only hazard I have experienced in the past with recirculated air is the tendency for the side windows to begin fogging if there is a lot of humidity in the cabin.

Using the Auto mode with recirc for any length of time results in the windshield and side windows fogging, the least viable solution to this problem of CO in the cabin.

·
Registered
142 Posts
i would add that to me this is a safety issue 'cause i get distracted too much 'cause the "smart" computer does its tricks when i don't need it to so basically every time i change the mode or turn on/off defogging i need to look at the display and double check what is going on there. NOT SMART AT ALL!

:mad:

·
5,042 Posts
This will be like throwing a stick into a crowd, it will be sure to bring on some howls.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sure seem to be very emotion filled issue. I don't get the level of emotion in the rants. Nobody seems to disagree that it would be nice, good, desirable, even mandatory to be able to do it. But also nobody, at least none of us know how to make the HVAC system do it. It seems like some, want to be mad at somebody, Well we are not the ones. ease up a bit.

If you can't stand it, and it is so meaningful, I guess you can sell the car.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Just a mini rant about a rather unpleasant situation that only presents itself occasionally because of a silly design implementation. Nothing to get excited about.

They'll have to pry the key from my cold fingers.....:2:

Hey. Gonzo stirred the pot and we haven't heard from him since. Maybe the fumes got him. ;)

·
5,042 Posts
Carbon Monoxide will do that every time. Really quites things down. :2:

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
By the way its not just this "smart" climate control on the Murano. Even the manual climate control on my 97 Maxima won't let you engage recirc when in defog mode.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Defrost

Same way on my other car - Mitsubishi. The deal with the Sunroof is also the same on the Mitsu. Still has approx 4 inches it could go back further but stops, leaving the opening about 1/4 of the way closed. i think they must be sharing with Nissan or vice versa.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We can blame the few idiots who drive down the highway with an outside humidity level in the winter of 10% and drive with the recirc on and don't understand why their all their windows are fogged. With the MO's setup this would be impossible to happen.

All together now... "Thank you idiots!"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts