Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I live up near Cumming, GA and someone had a go at my car which left me with a not so pretty dent under my side view mirror. It’s not large, maybe 3 inches, but is an eyesore. Repair shops quoted $1000 which seems much. Any ideas, suggestions would be very welcome ! Gracias

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Post a photo of the dented area...

Reactions: mattski

·
Registered
804 Posts
I live up near Cumming, GA and someone had a go at my car which left me with a not so pretty dent under my side view mirror. It’s not large, maybe 3 inches, but is an eyesore. Repair shops quoted $1000 which seems much. Any ideas, suggestions would be very welcome ! Gracias
If the metal isnt creased and paint isnt broken or dinged, should be easy to pull out. Agree with MuranoSL2003 we need picture to better assess. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
That's a bad dent, I don't think it can be fixed by a process known as paintless dent repair...

An estimate of $1000 to repair sounds about right, maybe a bit on the high side... To do it correctly, the whole door will need to be repainted after they repair the creased/dented sheet metal.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Figures the dent would be in the one area that's most difficult to fix. That must have been some hit, since I don't think that ridge would be very easy to collapse, even with the thinness of the metal. $1000 seems a bit high but not obscene, given the contour involved.

For $10, you could always buy some decals of bullet holes or dinosaur claw scratches and stick 'em in that area... Or get creative...

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a bad dent, I don't think it can be fixed by a process known as paintless dent repair...

An estimate of $1000 to repair sounds about right, maybe a bit on the high side... To do it correctly, the whole door will need to be repainted after they repair the creased/dented sheet metal.
Thanks very much. I feel better that I’m not missing a trick !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Figures the dent would be in the one area that's most difficult to fix. That must have been some hit, since I don't think that ridge would be very easy to collapse, even with the thinness of the metal. $1000 seems a bit high but not obscene, given the contour involved.

For $10, you could always buy some decals of bullet holes or dinosaur claw scratches and stick 'em in that area... Or get creative...
Many Thanks for the recommendation. I might be selling the car in a couple of months so will opt for the repair !

·
Super Moderator
1,375 Posts
Entire door dis-assembly with a bunch of metal hammering when the dent is across a body crease like this.

A very good body shop can fix the crease and feather in repainting that area only, and you'll never be able to tell.

This takes time, more then just banging out the crease and repainting the whole door, which sometimes can stand out like a sore thumb next to the matching body panels, if the color match and reflectivity is not perfect.

Find out how they plan on doing the repaint, which will tell you their level of expertise. If they are doing a total door repaint, $1000 is too much.

If you can twist a wrench, get a replacement door from a auto recycler. Just match the outside color and swap the interior if not the same. Actually, a really smart body shop would price a used replacement versus all the labor involved with a repair. A body shop can change a door in 15 minutes, and usually get it for a lot less then $500, and not have to worry about color matching.

Here's something interesting to think about. If repaired thru an official body shop, the repair can possibly show up on a future CarFax report, which will effect the future resell value. Probably more then the $1000 that they're charging for the repair. Be sure to ask if this repair will be reported to the car history.

Good luck.

Have a good day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts