Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The VDC/TCS/ABS/EBC are systems that work together on the Murano.

From Nissan literature, here's a description:

VDC Function
:) In addition to the TCS/ABS function, the driver steering amount and brake operation amount are detected from the steering angle sensor and pressure sensor, and the vehicle's driving status (amount of under steering / over steering) is determined from information from the yaw rate /side/decel G sensor, wheel sensor, etc., and this information is used to improve vehicle stability by controlling the braking and engine power to all four wheels.
:) The SLIP indicator lamp flashes to inform the driver of VDC operation.
:) During VDC operation, the body and brake pedal lightly vibrate and mechanical noises may be heard. This is normal.
:) The ABS warning lamp, VDC OFF indicator lamp, and SLIP indicator lamp might turn on when the vehicle is subject to strong shaking or large vibration, such as when the vehicle is on a turn table or a ship while the engine is running or steep slope such as bank. In this case, restart the engine on a normal road, and if the ABS warning lamp, VDC OFF indicator lamp, and SLIP indicator lamp turn off, there is no problem.

TCS Function
:) The wheel spin of the drive wheels is detected by the ABS actuator and electric unit (control unit) from the wheel speed signals from the four wheels, so if wheel spin occurs, the drive wheel right and left brake fluid pressure control and engine fuel cut are conducted while the throttle value is restricted to reduce the engine torque and decrease the amount of wheel spin. In addition, the degree the throttle is opened is controlled to achieve the optimum engine torque.
:) Depending on road circumstances, the driver may have a sluggish feel. This is normal, because the optimum traction has the highest priority under TCS operation.
:) TCS may be activated any time the vehicle suddenly accelerates, depressing accelerator pedal fully, suddenly downshifts, upshifts, or is driven on a road with a varying surface friction coefficient.
:) During TCS operation, it informs a driver of system operation by flashing SLIP indicator lamp.

ABS Function
:) The Anti-Lock Brake System is a function that detects wheel revolution while braking, and it improves handling stability during sudden braking by electrically preventing 4 wheel lock. Maneuverability is also improved for avoiding obstacles.
:) If the electrical system breaks down, then Fail-Safe function is activated, ABS becomes inoperative, and ABS warning lamp turns on.
:) During ABS operation, brake pedal lightly vibrates and a mechanical noise may be heard. This is normal.
:) Just after starting vehicle after ignition switch ON, brake pedal may vibrate or motor operating noise may be heard from engine compartment. This is a normal status of operation check.
:) Stopping distance may be longer than that of vehicles without ABS when vehicle drives on rough, gravel, or snow-covered (fresh, deep snow) roads.

EBD Function
:) Electronic Brake Distributor is a function that detects subtle slippages between front and rear wheels during braking, and it improves handling stability by electronically controlling Brake Fluid Pressure which results in reduced rear wheel slippage.
:) In case of electrical system break down, Fail-Safe function is activated, EBD and ABS becomes inoperative, and ABS warning lamp and brake warning lamp are turned on.
:) During EBD operation, brake pedal lightly vibrates and a mechanical noise may be heard. This is normal.
:) Just after starting vehicle after ignition switch ON, brake pedal may vibrate or motor operating noise may be heard from engine compartment. This is a normal status of operation check.
:) Stopping distance may be longer than that of vehicles without EBD when vehicle drives on rough, gravel, or snow-covered (fresh, deep snow) roads.

Attachments

Reactions: onefastdriver

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for the info...I wish I had read abit more into the VDC before I got my MO. The VDC looks like a good/Safe option to have gotten!!!:(

·
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree. When I got the Murano, I felt it was a "nice to have" rather than an absolute need. As I've learned more about it, my thoughts on VDC have changed more towards wanting to have. It's like my first car in 1990 that had ABS. I was blown away by how well it worked, and it helped me out one day when we had freezing rain.

I was put into a spin once by another driver, while driving my Maxima at 60 MPH. I can't help but wonder if VDC would have made that better (or worse?). He hit me on the right rear quarter panel and I spun around, bounced off the front bumper (lucky) on the brand new concrete median (lucky again, it was a guardrail the previous month) and then spun across 6 lanes of traffic to the other side without getting hit again. Which was extremely lucky, as there's normally many transport trucks on that freeway. I ended up, stopped on the right shoulder, facing the right direction without hitting the other guardrail. If people have 9 lives like cats, that was certainly one of them gone...

I thought the car was a write-off, but it just needed a new bumper and the right rear quarter and door fixed from the dent from the other car.

There were three thoughts that went through my mind during the spin. 1) I'm going to get creamed by a transport truck. 2) Wow, this car's smooth even in a spin! 3) The old Nissan commercials "Enjoy the Ride".

If it happened today, I'd be thinking "Wish I had that VDC!"

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
That sounds like how I wrote off my Jeep, except I went around the other drivers (they were in front of me). Across 3 lanes 3 times, didn't hit a single other car.

A study was done recently on the type of traction control used by the VDC (it's becoming popular) in a car and an SUV. With the traction control off, the drivers lost control 27.9% of the times they tried to execute emergency manuevers. They only lost control 3.4% of the time with traction control on!

·
Mo Betta
164 Posts
Tyler,

I think that may be the study that I read about the convinced me that I want traction control. That has caused me a lot of grief trying to locate a Murano (given that I don't want black or white) but I insisted on it and my new Piranha should be here in a month or so. Traction control is also on somebody's "top 10 must-have" list but I can't remember which car-related organization it was.

I realize that SUVs aren't the safest vehicles on the block, but the VDC should improve the situation somewhat. VDC's the sort of thing you hope you never need, but just in case...

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
It is important to distinguish between traction control and stability control.

Traction control affects off the line traction when you first start accelerating. Any slippage cuts power to or brakes the spinning wheel. This is called TCS (traction control system) on Nissans.

Stability control is an entirely different entity. As described above, it uses vehicle speed and yaw sensors to detect lateral movement, and helps to correct your path if you get into a spin. This is called VDC (vehicle dynamic control) on Nissans. Nissan's VDC system is manufactured by Continental Teves, the same company that makes the stability control for Volkswagen and Mercedes I believe. I think on those models it is called ESP (electronic stability program).

Fortunately on the Murano, you cannot only get traction control, since both traction control and stability control are bundled together in the "dynamic control package."

·
Mo Betta
164 Posts
Eric,

Thanks for the correction/clarification. I know it's important to note that they are different things, but I just lump both things into the same category since they come together. Sorry for being imprecise.

I didn't pay attention to whether traction control or stability control was the recommended option in the articles I read, but it was probably stability control. Since Nissan bundles them in one package, I knew I wanted the package.

·
5,268 Posts
VDC and traction control were on my wish list when getting the MO. Unfortunately the dealer did not have this option and I did not want to wait. In retrospect I should have. The FX has it and together with a great ABS and brake assist it saved my wife when a crazy driver cut at front of her during rain.

I would highly recommend ABS and VDC to anyone. Just be patient and wait but get these options.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Yes, it was stability control I was speaking of.

I am 90% sure if my Jeep had had stability control during the incident in which I wrote it off, I wouldn't be driving a Murano now.

I'm kinda glad it didn't have it. :4: At least no one was hurt (well I had soft tissue injuries, but so what?).

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
So the question here is when should the VDC be on and when should it be off?

A.
It should be left on all the time. Only exception would be if you need some whelespin, such as when you are stuck in deep snow.

·
Registered
780 Posts
We had our first snow fall of the season. I found the TCS very pleasant on my Mo as it makes no noise at all compared to other vehicles I had before or compared to the VDC where you can hear the ABS solenoid valves clicking on & off quickly; the TCS doesn't seem to cut off the throttle that much so the vehicle moves forward when you need it. Speaking of the VDC, it's a little permissive allowing some fish tailing on slippery surfaces so one has to be careful, it's not 100% foolproof; I made the test in an empty parking lot at night and of course good tires and common sense should prevail.

My 2004 1/2 Passat 1.8T 4MOTION Wagon was the least permissive of all the vehicles I owned cutting off the throttle and applying the brakes at the threshold of a slip, safer but annoying when you're trying to accelerate quickly to avoid an accident! I had to turn it off regularly. Back then, both VDC and TCS were turned off by pressing the same switch.

All in all, I think the Mo has a very good TCS & VDC system, much better and more refined than some Japanese & Korean vehicles. After my 2004 1/2 Passat, I had a 2008 Subaru Impreza, a 2010 Kia Rondo and a 2012 Toyota RAV4 all with TCS & VDC so I can compare. I also had a 1995 Ford Contour with TCS that was performing admirably well, ahead of its time but no VDC.

Reactions: onefastdriver
1 - 13 of 13 Posts