Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my opinion it is a classic bait and switch, but you decide.

Scenario: A while back I posted a thread on getting rid of my Audi A4. Thank you all for your feedback!

I went and test drove a few vehicles (auto transmission) on 7/15 and was fairly happy with both the Honda Accord and VW Jetta (wasn't too impressed w/ the Altima). I mentioned that I may be interested in trading my A4 in, but might also keep it.

The Honda dealer gave me an insulting offer of $9,100 and the VW dealer offered me a fair trade in value of $10,500. I specifically told both dealers that the possible trade-in needed to be a separate transaction that the actual lease deal.

We decided to go ahead w/ the Jetta (7/19). The VW dealer we had contacted quoted us $3,000 down and $205 / month (incl tax) for a 3 yr term. I thought that was a pretty decent lease, so we decided to go for it (residual %=55, money factor=.00149). I called ahead to verify the deal was still on the table and that it was independent of the trade-in. The salesperson confirmed that.

When we got to the dealership, the salesperson told me that they couldn't do the deal because the numbers run were in fact based upon a trade-in value. I told him bs and that if they weren't going to honor their deal, I would walk. They finally came back and told me that they could do the deal, but with a 2 yr term. I told them it had to be a 3 and they told me that wouldn't happen because they would lose money on the deal. They proceeded to also tell me that if I wanted to pay the tax for the 3rd yr, that the deal would still stand. I said hell no and drove back across town and ended up leasing a Jetta from another dealership (not as good a deal, but I still got my car under my terms).

I've filed a complaint w/ the local BBB and have also filed a complaint w/ VW corporate. I am not sure what these 2 actions are going to do for me, but I needed a way to vent my anger / frustration!

Did I get screwed? Did the salesperson conveniently make a mistake in telling me a trade-in wasn't needed? Did they tell me what I wanted to hear to get me in? IMO - Hell Yes!!!!!!!! What are your thoughts? Should I have done anything differently or any additional action I should take?

BTW - If you need to lease and have questions, please feel free to IM me because, given certain variables, I can help you calculate your lease payments or you could just go to edmunds.com:D

Finally, if you need to know, the VW dealer I went to is Schmelz Countryside (http://www.schmelz.com/).

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think there might be a case of Bait and Switch here. You didn't like the deal at Dealer A (the Bait) so you took your business to Dealer B (the Switch). I think that's how a free market system is supposed to work. Relax and enjoy your new car.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Coness-

Did you get screwed? I don't see it that way. You ended up in a car of your choosing with a deal to your liking. Plus, as an added bonus, the first VW salesperson, the one with the deceptive sales practices, lost out on a easy sale. It's a win-win in my book.

-njjoe

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I don't deal w/ car salesmen that often, but how/why would you lie like that. What'd they expect me to do....? Ok, you changed the deal on me and I am here, so I should just go ahead and get the car from you. Yep, bend over and say thank you sir, may I have another??? F that!!!!:3:

It is a win-win in a sense, but I wasted about 3 hours of my time because the jerks lied to me (all to get me in the dealership for a bait and switch). Moral of the story is, stick it to the man. I don't take [email protected]@ from anyone, nor should any of you!

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Very typical tactic that un-ethical car "stealers" like to pull. As long as the deal is not in writing, they can say whatever they want and "change their minds" when you actually come in.

Happens all the time. That's why you need to get everything they say IN WRITING. When they make you a good deal over the phone, you say: "Please fax that too me immediately so that I have it in writing." Most of them won't, because they're fully aware that they can't do that deal, they are just trying to get you down to the dealership.

You can't call them on bait-and-switch because there is no contract. If you've signed a deal, or if there is an advertized deal in writing, and then they give you something different, that would be bait-and-switch.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This one was in writing! They had the original quote from my initial visit. The salesperson said that "it was his mistake" and that he didn't understand the trade-in was part of the deal. Likely story.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts