Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just upgraded from a 2004 SL to a 2011 SL and, other than being newer with a few extra bells and whistles, don't see a significant difference. So, why the distinction between Gen 1 and Gen 2?

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
After it's initial release each new model year offered only very minor changes or enhancements. Most people would be hard pressed to tell the difference between a 2003, 2004, or 2005 model. And except for minor trim and the LED tail lights the 2006 and 2007 MOs were pretty much similar to 2003-2005 MOs.

The 2009 MO was a completely new design, hence the 2nd-gen designation.

Both the front end and rear hatch were redesigned, as well as the interior. The interior dash is a complete redesign. The 1st-gen's pod-like dash and center console made the MO unique. Now it is a standard dash like most other cars.

Some 1st-gen owners, including myself, believe the 2nd-gen lost it's uniqueness and looks more like your average crossover.

-njjoe

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Engine has a higher compression ratio and variable intake system to give 265 horsepower and 248 pound-feet of torque, up from 240 horsepower and 244 pound-feet.

The CVT remains but has been upgraded to perform more like a conventional automatic.

Intuitive AWD is new (and awesome).

The Vehicle Dynamic Control was improved and is standard.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Engine has a higher compression ratio and variable intake system...
1st-gen MOs also have the variable intake system (variable-path intake controlled by a "power valve" and variable valve timing). The engine changes were evolutionary.

-njjoe

·
Registered
7 Posts
The interior dash is a complete redesign. The 1st-gen's pod-like dash and center console made the MO unique. Now it is a standard dash like most other cars.

Some 1st-gen owners, including myself, believe the 2nd-gen lost it's uniqueness and looks more like your average crossover.

-njjoe
Ah, there's the rub. I looked at the '03s, loved the exterior, but was totally turned off by the interior. I also remember how weird the CVT felt to me. I ended up with an MDX.

The 2nd gen has it's own, upscale interior look, but is traditional and everthing is where it's supposed to be and looks like it's supposed to look. Why reinvent the wheel? That brought me back to look at the Murano. And after a test drive, the CVT felt so much less noticeable with none of the "motorboat" feel, and unless you are really into the gas it's not readily apparent that you're in a CVT machine. Exterior wise, from a distance it's often difficult to recognize an '03 from an '11.

Different strokes and all.....

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
Ah, there's the rub. I looked at the '03s, loved the exterior, but was totally turned off by the interior. I also remember how weird the CVT felt to me. I ended up with an MDX.
Ha! I was EXACTLY the opposite, I hated the exterior look of the 1st gen, to the point where I almost didn't even do a test drive, but absolutely LOVED the interior layout and the feel of the CVT.

This is why there are so many different makes and models of cars, it's a very subjective thing when it comes to what people like and dislike in their autos.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I like my first gen from interior to exterior but the new 2nd gen is soo nice, reminds me of an infiniti or something really upscale. Its hard to remember your driving a nissan. The only thing i really hate are all the second gen wheels are ugly, even the 20s. And the huge bulky fenders are hideous. Tailights are ok, they're growing on me. The interior by far is the key item, the engines power is nice and i really like the grille and lights up front.

But one thing i really don't like about either one is the huge wheel gaps, small tires and high center of gravity.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My 2nd gen is much quieter than the 2006 I had. It's also put together much nicer... At <20 F you don't hear any creaking or the like. The 1st Gen sounded like a steam heating system for the first 10 minutes out of the garage each morning....
I agree the 2nd gen looks more generic - but IMHO that's not a bad thing - and it feels much more upscale... I wasn't pressed to make the trade but getting one over night for an extended test drive in October made me jump ship....

·
Registered
494 Posts
That interior in the 2nd Gen was one of the key selling points for us. I still feel that it's as good as any of our previous Lexus RX's. Oh, yeah, and I'm one of those that happens to like the 20" wheel design on the 2nd Gen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That interior in the 2nd Gen was one of the key selling points for us. I still feel that it's as good as any of our previous Lexus RX's. Oh, yeah, and I'm one of those that happens to like the 20" wheel design on the 2nd Gen.
I just got an 11 LE and I was a bit torn between the RX and Mo. The RX had some nice features, but no panoramic moonroof, no heated steering wheel, and no heated rear seats. It did offer proximity sensors, which would have been nice, but all in all I didn't feel that its interior was much better. The asymmetrical center column in RX never felt right to me. Still, there are tons of them here in Seattle.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
A huge advantage of the first gen Mos to me was the availability of an SE model. I detest that floating, mushy ride the non SE's have. This is likely why my current (04 SE) Mo as well as my 95 SE Maxima will likely be my last Nissans. Unless I decide to downsize from the Max to a Z, of course.

·
Registered
48 Posts
A huge advantage of the first gen Mos to me was the availability of an SE model. I detest that floating, mushy ride the non SE's have. This is likely why my current (04 SE) Mo as well as my 95 SE Maxima will likely be my last Nissans. Unless I decide to downsize from the Max to a Z, of course.
A "floating, mushy ride"? I have to disagree. I came here to see if the 2nd generation was less jarring than the first gen. The only thing that has helped our 05 was changing to Michelin Latitude Tour HP tires. That took a lot of the jarring out of the ride. The first gen's GY LS tires were aweful, IMHO.

·
Registered
63 Posts
We've loved our '03 since it was new, especially the cabernet interior! That's what I miss the most since we traded for our '11 last week. But I must say, the two are worlds apart in refinement. The '11 has a MUCH smoother, quieter ride and handles just as well as our '03 did. I just hope this one doesn't go through batteries like the last one. Seems like every 18 months she ate through the battery. Lucky for us we always got a free replacement from Sears so it was more an inconvenience than anything.

The changes we're enjoying the most are the rear camera, dual moonroof, power tilt wheel and not having to get Nav to get the rear camera! We also love the Graphite Blue color. Haven't seen any others on the road around here in the same color. Also LOVE the design of the 20" wheels. Did I happen to mention the rear camera?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts