Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read the latest TSB (see link) on transfer case operation, and it is interesting to note that the 05 Muranos with AWD in LOCK mode will return to AUTO mode at 6mph (10km/h) and not 19mph like the 03-04 models. It seems that there is excessive stress on the AWD system if its locked at higher speeds (above 6mph), causing premature damage to the transfer system.

This is very interesting information since it concerns the recent front transfer case leaks owners here have been reporting!

Transfer Case TSB (dated 11/4/04)
 

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
Joined
·
5,100 Posts
Another item to add to the 05 change list.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Hmm.. this sounds like a defect in the AWD system of the Murano... why didn't they just use the Nissan Skyline AWD version or the Infinity FX version???

Now I still don't understand why it would crack while using AWD. Weak case (like cast aluminum)? Too much torque? The system sounds rather basic, but perhaps that's the issue. It needs either computer controlled torque distribution or a center diff to handle the varying speeds of the input shafts as the vehicle turns...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Murano's AWD system is adapted to a FWD platform, whereas the FX is RWD from the boot. Besides, the point of the Murano's AWD is secure all weather handling, not performance track driving, where the ATTESA system in the FX/Skyline would be advantageous.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,092 Posts
So what happens lets say while driving on the highway and the AWD system detects slippage and kicks in... are we doomed with issues???? :(
 

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
Joined
·
5,100 Posts
Sounds like an 06 fix coming.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
631 Posts
Eric L. said:
I just read the latest TSB (see link) on transfer case operation, and it is interesting to note that the 05 Muranos with AWD in LOCK mode will return to AUTO mode at 6mph (10km/h) and not 19mph like the 03-04 models. It seems that there is excessive stress on the AWD system if its locked at higher speeds (above 6mph), causing premature damage to the transfer system.

This is very interesting information since it concerns the recent front transfer case leaks owners here have been reporting!

Transfer Case TSB (dated 11/4/04)
Not to mention, if they perform this TSB on an 03-04 Mo, they're supposed to replace the AWD switch and control unit as well with the one from the 05 model. Does anyone know if Nissan honors TSBs as preventative measures rather than waiting until something breaks? Sort of like a mini-recall?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TSBs are not recalls. They are updated repair procedures, for when a part on your car breaks down, unfortunately.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
631 Posts
Eric L. said:
TSBs are not recalls. They are updated repair procedures, for when a part on your car breaks down, unfortunately.
Pleh.. that's what I figured, but I had hope.

In the past I've been able to talk other dealerships into performing repairs/part replacements before they caused an actual problem. On my last car (Pontiac) I had them replace the hazard switch because it was causing an intermittent blinker short, and they just wanted to keep replacing blinker bulbs. Turns out, 3 months later, there was a recall on the hazard switch. I wonder if the local Nissan dealership would work with me. I've only ever been to that dealership once and I walked out because the sales staff was as slimy as they come. Unfortunately there's no Infinity dealer in Reno, so I'm stuck going to the Nissan place for service. Bleh!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
Re: Re: Different AWD LOCK operation in 05 models

special-k said:


Not to mention, if they perform this TSB on an 03-04 Mo, they're supposed to replace the AWD switch and control unit as well with the one from the 05 model. Does anyone know if Nissan honors TSBs as preventative measures rather than waiting until something breaks? Sort of like a mini-recall?
I'll let you know if they retrofit my 04 with the switch and control module when I get it back from the dealer.

Dave N.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
4,664 Posts
senza said:
Sounds like the transfer case (gears and or case itself) is a weak link in the AWD system....
Wow, the way I drive mine, I would have thought for sure, it would have broken by now....

Well if it happens, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jaak said:


Wow, the way I drive mine, I would have thought for sure, it would have broken by now....

Well if it happens, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised!

I think you should knock on wood, toss some salt over your shoulder etc....

Seems like you have dodged all the defect bullets so far jaak. Here's hoping you continue that streak! ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
522 Posts
Yeah, the way I've driven the Mo you would think I would have blasted that transfercase to pieces by now. I don't turn AWD on dry pavement, or even wet pavement, so maybe I'm just being a good boy and that's good enough...

I had hoped that the 19MPH cut-off was for safety issues and not durability issues, but I guess I'm very wrong on that count :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Different AWD LOCK operation in 05 models

Dave N said:


I'll let you know if they retrofit my 04 with the switch and control module when I get it back from the dealer.

Dave N.

Picking mine up today...... let you know this afternoon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
418 Posts
I thought the 19mph cutoff was to prevent the clutch pack from overheating / failing.....how many transfer case /gear failures have there been?...4 or 5 ?....the symptom seems to be gear oil leakage... maybe its a seal problem....gear oil leaks out and AWD operation strains the tranfer case/gears??
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top