Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One thing I noticed about the "digital radio" in the 03 MO.. there are no "traffic" or "info" buttons on the radio.. The local stations are now starting to broadcast the song names, but I can't get them in the MO....

AAGGHH.. talk about a rip off...

·
4,664 Posts
Yeah, the RDS implementation in the Murano sucks...

I borrowed a generator from work and created my own station with RDS data, and the only thing I could get to work was a station ID. It's almost misleading putting RDS on the face as it doesn't do much of it....

Attachments

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
So is this a warranty issue?
I don't think they sold it as a subset of RDS.

Homer

Nice job, how did you modulate it wth your personalized "callsign"?

·
4,664 Posts
I think because at least one function works from RDS, then it would be harder to fight than the SAT button which they have gone through great expense to claim doesn't work and printed out stickers to put on the vehicle to confirm the uh, misleading information.

I'm fortunate in that I had access to a R&S SMV signal generator which does most, if not all of the RDS formats. So I programmed up everything and tried different modes and all I could get out of the Murano was a station ID.

The interesting part, is there is an access point on the radio's board inside that is a data point for the RDS (it seems) so if someone really wanted to do something with the RDS data, it is accessable.

Bit of a pain, that it's not integrated. It would have just been a bit of software...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hey! My radio station ID doesn't display anything but the frequency. Argh!

I have a display mode on my CD display options that says "song title". It doesn't work either. How do I get either, or both to work?

I do not have a CD Changer, it is just the std. in-dash unit..

My Sirius Satellite radio displays just fine though...

Help?

Matthew

·
Registered
202 Posts
The RDS information and CD song title information won't display if there's nothing to display. Where I live, there are only a couple of radio stations that send out RDS information, and I've found precious few CDs (except the ones that I burn myself) that come with song title information. It's a shame, because that's a really neat function, even with the truncated titles!

Jeff

·
Registered
792 Posts
A lot of CDs aren't doing it.

If you put the CD in your computer for the most part all you see is Track 1, track 2, track 3......

Same thing your stereo sees.

We have a few stations that are broadcasting the name - most of them I know by the number so it isn't abig deal. It would be nice if the function worked - but I didn't buy the M to tell me what station I am listening to.

·
4,664 Posts
Yeah, I agree, I'm not heartbroken about it not working.... It would have been nice.

I have a DAB receiver (It's a digital version of FM radio) that shows the song titles and artist, and I really like the feature. RDS is capable of this, so it would have been really cool, just like the data on the SAT.

I have found a few CD's that also support the titles, but not most.

·
Registered
275 Posts
So, it sounds like it wold work if the CDs and radio stations provided the information to read. Thats cool. I just thought maybe I could activate it somehow. I am not dis-satisfied with it, just sounds like a kool feature. I use the SAT 90% of the time anyway and I am thrilled with the way it works.

Matthew

·
Registered
22 Posts
Have the upgrade Bose stereo and only complaint is that at a moderate but not overly loud level, the door speaker makes the door armrest vibrate. My other car (Acura) has a speaker in the same place but it must be better insulated because I don't feel anything on the door. Come on Nissan, a little better quality there please!

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Take it in.
They can probably fix it.
Mine doesn't do that at all even at a very loud level.

While looking for a door rattle I saw where a shop somewhere found missing clips on the door. Missing or broken clips, a loose mounting, any number of correctible things could do it.

Homer

·
Registered
22 Posts
Homer, thanks so much for the info!

I noticed you have a invisible bra...I presume that is a clear plastic adhesive product? If so, does the edges fray with time or darken in color due to dirt? Any disadvantages to it? Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
No disadvantages that I know of.
Has a 4 year warranty against any of that stuff.
In fact, if it is damaged in an accident, Ultrashield will replace the affected parts for labor only.

It is a material made by 3M.

I got a complete job.
Hood, bumper , back of Mirrors, Headlights, Fenders, and had them put a piece on the rear bumper in place of the black piece that is used as a cargo protector.

'spensive tho. Cost me $600+
The breakdown was
Hood, Fenders, Mirrors, Bumper - 550
Headlights - 75
Rear Bumper - 40
total - 665
-10% -66.50
FL 6% tax 35.91

Total - $634

I have no idea why I got a 10% discount.
Probably automatic although I did tell them that I got the info from their web site

http://www.ultrashieldusa.com/

Homer

Somebody, I think it is Xpel, sells the same stuff in a DIY kit for maybe $300.
UltraShield in your loc may sell a kit also.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Re: RDS works fine

familyman said:
I get the name of station, the singer, and the song when available.
It really depends on your station.
Can you let us know where you live and what stations you have seen this work on. I live in the DC area and have not been able to get any good RDS info on any station other than the name of the station.

·
4,664 Posts
Yeah, I'd like to know as well.

It would be good to know the build date of your Murano, and we may need to look up the firmware revision in the Radio as well.

Could be updated firmware....

·
Registered
34 Posts
i live in Seattle area and there are quite a few stations i get extended info. sorry but i can't recall the names though as i dont listen to FM usually. I will pay attention next time to provide more info.

·
Registered
466 Posts
102.7 KIIS FM does this in L.A. as well. I was on a trip to So. Cal. and sure enough the name of the song started scrolling....

·
4,664 Posts
OK, Guess I'll have to get out the signal generator again and run it through the gears. I couldn't get mine to display song and artist.

Then I'll have to call the station engineers and find out when they're implementing. I get station ID's only...

·
Registered
255 Posts
jaak said:
Yeah, I'd like to know as well.

It would be good to know the build date of your Murano, and we may need to look up the firmware revision in the Radio as well.

Could be updated firmware....
If they did a running change to the radio, I am going to really be pissed. Hopefully stations in DC are just behind and not broadcasting full RDS capabilities.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts