Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had quite a few people who drive my Murano complain about the almost non-existant light for the gear selector indicator light. I had the console apart yesterday to change a blown coin tray bulb, and noticed the shifter light is exactly the same bulb. The last time I had the console apart, I had removed the orange rubber cover from the bulb in the hopes of making it brighter, but it had no effect. While I had the console apart yesterday, I tested the shift indicator light, and it was barely lit. I took the same bulb and put it in the coin tray socket, and it became much, much brighter.

An idea I had for those who want a brighter gear selector indicator, would be to disconnect the bulb from the wires it's supposed to be attached to, and connect wires from the coin tray connector in order to make the bulb full bright.

There are 2 problems I see with this approach:

1. Cutting and soldering a stock harness, frowned upon unless you own the vehicle.
2. With the bulb at full power, with the orange rubber cover on, it may get so hot it could burn the rubber.

Thoughts anyone?

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another idea I just had would be to use a white LED instead. I'll try this on the weekend maybe. I'm not sure of the voltage/current available to that connector, and what dimmer settings would be suitable, but I like my dash lights pretty dim.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
What is the dimmer set at?

I believe the coin box light is full power all the time and the gear shift selection lamp is dimmeer controlled. I replaced the bulb with another after removing the cover. The # of the bulb is Lost to me but I posted it when I did it. It made the indicator about 505 brighter. No problems it was a Sylvania bulb and I foound it by going thru the catalogue and selecting the same base but more candelpower. Wish I could remember the number.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dimmer is probably about 3 above the lowest setting. I can barely read the odometer in the daytime. I have very sensitive eyes, and don't want the glare to blind me at night. A brighter shift indicator wouldn't bother me, because it's not in my line of sight.

Thanks for the info, I'll try and dig it up.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm a little confused now. The original lamp is a 1.4W lamp. Which would be brighter?

The 2722 which is a 2.04W lamp and is rated at 1 MSCD (brightness), or a 2721 which is a 1.2W lamp and is rated at 0.6 MSCD?

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Tyler_Canada-

From what I understand, the 2722 lamp will be brighter because the MSCd is greater (1.0 vs. 0.6).

-njjoe

·
4,994 Posts
2722 Go!

And for max brightness wire to full time 12 volts bypass the dimmer

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Grip, I found your earlier post saying you had purchased a 74 bulb. Good thing, I couldn't get the 2722, so I picked up a 74. I'll install it today and see if it's any brighter.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, put in the 74. The bulb is slightly larger than the OEM, but it fits fine. While I had it apart I played with the brightness settings and found I was at the minimum (one step above OFF). I turned it up to 3, and I can now see the shift indicator lights even in a dimly lit garage (brighter than night outside). Hopefully the dash lights aren't too bright for me at that setting, but the bulb does seem a fair bit brighter.

Thanks Grip for the info.

·
4,994 Posts
Glad you liked it

Tyler_Canada said:
Ok, put in the 74. The bulb is slightly larger than the OEM, but it fits fine. While I had it apart I played with the brightness settings and found I was at the minimum (one step above OFF). I turned it up to 3, and I can now see the shift indicator lights even in a dimly lit garage (brighter than night outside). Hopefully the dash lights aren't too bright for me at that setting, but the bulb does seem a fair bit brighter.

Thanks Grip for the info.
PS the gentleman that bought my MOD MO says it still has not burned out.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's good. If the bulb I canibalized from the shift indicator for the coin tray burns out, I'll just use the second 74 that came in the pack :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts