Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you know the dipstick has 2 sides: one side with the L-H designation, and the other "blank" side.

After running it, letting sit for 10 mins, the "blank" side indicates it's full (i.e., if there were indicators on the blank side, the oil would read H). However, on the indicator side, it barely reaches L.

What is going on? How can one side of the dipstick be in oil, and the other side indicate adding oil? Is it because it is angled somehow in the crankcase?

Any insights on this? I don't want to run on low oil.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Sounds like the stick is hitting the round guide hole and knocking some oil off. The MO stick design really needs a make-over. It always seemed to be a chore to get a good read on that.

Bob1

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
c-

The MO has one of the hardest-to-read dipsticks ever devised.

Are you wiping the dip stick dry, reinserting it, then pulling it out for the reading?

-njjoe

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I've inserted and wiped it 5 times, still getting the same thing. Should I go with the reading on the blank side or the indicator side? I don't want to overfill it.

I agree - worst dipstick ever.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
c-

The etchings serve two purposes - the obvious one is to mark the High and Low points, but the etching also serves to "catch" the oil and make the level more visible. I would ignore the non-etched reverse side.

Try this... turn the dip stick over when reinserting it. Are you getting the same result?

-njjoe

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Won't insert that way, already tried it. I guess I'll stick to the indicator side and hope for the best.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
The only reliable time to read the dipstick is a long time after the engine has been shut down. When I remember to check my oil, I do it in the mornings!

·
Registered
75 Posts
our dipsticks SUCK, you can't ever get a good reading off of it unless you do it after its been sitting for a long time. I usually like to check while I'm at the gas station which is basically impossible with the murano.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I wait a minute or so before putting the dipstick back in to recheck. The two sides are usually less than 1/4" apart when doing this. I fill until the high reading is to the full line which leaves the low side well above the low mark. I suspect that as you pull the dip stick out some oil is smeared somewhere along the path for the dipstick. Waiting allows the smeared oil to drain back down and decrease the chances of fouling up the readings.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
For the best accurate dipstick reading......Do it in the morning.:)

I also did a MO relearn............on myself :D..........."stop checking at gas stations its pointless".

I still find myself doing it at times.:8:

Maybe I have to do another relearn?:2:

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
In this day and age where we are able to measure the oxygen content in the exhaust stream you would think designers could come up with a reliable and inexpensive oil level gauge that could check the engine oil level just prior to turning over the engine.

-njjoe

·
Super Moderator
8,465 Posts
Whichever side of the dipstick has a solid oil reading that makes sense - use it that indication. The design sucks.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
As long as its been sitting for about 10 minutes, I have never had a problem reading the dipstick. Pull out, wipe, reinsert, pull out, read.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Worst dipstick design ever...

I have to chime in here and agree full heartedly that this dipstick on my '04 MO is extremely frustrating to get a reading on.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have to chime in here and agree full heartedly that this dipstick on my '04 MO is extremely frustrating to get a reading on.
I've run into the same thing as all have said, but did en experiment before the last oil change. Pulled the stick, wiped, and pushed back in and checked. Below the Low mark on one side and plenty of oil on the other. This was on a cold engine. Had the oil changed on a Saturday and checked the level the next morning. Oil was at the Full mark on one side and covered in oil on the other. I was concerned after reading earlier parts of this thread where some Mo's were very low on oil and didn't show any evidence of leaks. I now think my '04 is using a little oil and not showing any blue smoke.

JimB

·
Registered
53 Posts
And I thought I was the only one who hates this dipstick...

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
And I thought I was the only one who hates this dipstick...
Believe me, you are not alone.

Yesterday I changed the MO's oil for the eighth time so I can pretty much do it in my sleep, and everything was fine until I needed to verify the oil level via the dipstick. In my case the dipstick is 99.99% unreliable unless you let the oil settle for at least 5 or 10 minutes. It is very frustrating.

-njjoe

·
Registered
53 Posts
^^^ Agreed. I've resorted to being very precise with the amount of oil I add during changes b/c it's such a pain to get decent reading.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
I bought a low-end Sears snowblower yesterday and gave it a quick "once-over" in preparation for the Jersey Shore blizzards :rolleyes:. Anyway, out of habit with dealing with the MO I grabbed the flashlight, paper towels and a dry rag in preparation for pulling the dip stick to check the oil. Lo and behold I was able to easily see the oil level without having to jump through hoops. How is it that a relatively cheap, disposable, single-cylinder engine has an oil dip stick that is light-years ahead of the MO's??:8: If Sears sold a dipstick that was compatible with the VQ I would use it in a heartbeat.

Not to beat a dead horse, but how hard is it to build an easily-readable dipstick? This is not new technology. It is a component that has been around for a hundred years.

-njjoe

1 - 20 of 44 Posts