Nissan Murano Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,469 Posts
The dipstick in the Murano's Nissan V6 motor is the sorriest excuse for a functional item I have seen in 44 years of driving and working on cars. That includes the dipsticks I've seen in Studebakers, Fords, Pontiacs, Fiats, Mercedes, Oldsmobiles, Datsuns, Audis, BMWs, Chevys, Austin-Healeys, Dodges (that's a nearly complete list of the brands my family and I have owned during that time) and every car I pulled one on during two years of selling cars.

Whoever designed it is an idiot and had no consideration for making it a useful tool. It boggles my mind that I can't pull into a gas station and get an accurate reading on a dipstick after letting synthetic motor oil settle for five minutes in a hot motor! That motor must have oil passages the diameter of human capillaries! It's flat-out ridiculous that it takes so long for the oil to drain down and the dipstick to register a meaningful level.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same problem on my '07 MO. Can't get an accurate reading off the dipstick, even after it has sat for a couple of hours which is Un-friggin-believable! I change my own oil and likewise am very careful how much oil I put in. With a filter change, my manual calls for 4 3/4 quarts. Are there others out there who agree that this is the correct amount?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I'm still puzzled about the dipstick problems. I have had no issues at all reading the dipstick on my 03.

·
Registered
123 Posts
yeah like everyone says, try checking in the morning, althgouh wiping and reinserting like 3-5 times works for me...

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
For an engine that gets such rave reviews, the dipstick is pathetic. It wasn't like that on my 2005 Max.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Just thinking out loud, has anyone tried using a different dipstick on the MO? Is it possible? A different dipstick that's compatible? ie. same length and a compatible cap/stopper on the other end? I should look into it...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just to share my findings on another similar thread. My best reading would be in the morning (after the MO slept overnight). The usual stuff; took out dipstick, wipe clean, reinsert and quickly took it out again. In my case, I can see the oil level clearly on the etched marks between the L and H.

Did a few times just to be sure and it was consistent.

Note: Checking the other side of the dipstick (side facing engine, without etching) will always show the oil level WAY over the H mark. At least that's in my case.

·
Super Moderator
8,469 Posts
Nah, I just take the highest reading and go on driving. It's never the same on both sides, but somewhere the oil has to be high enough to leave a high mark - so I just use that one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
In this day and age where we are able to measure the oxygen content in the exhaust stream you would think designers could come up with a reliable and inexpensive oil level gauge that could check the engine oil level just prior to turning over the engine.

-njjoe
My 1998 Corvette has a low oil level warning light. It is very useful, I don't know why more cars don't have this. It also has a low coolant level light.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I agree the design is bad.

Have you ever noticed the warning on the engine DO NOT REMOVE THE DIPSTICK WHILE ADDING OIL, what's with that, would it come out of the dipstick hole?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Nah, I just take the highest reading and go on driving. It's never the same on both sides, but somewhere the oil has to be high enough to leave a high mark - so I just use that one.
I'd think it would be a better idea to use the low reading.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
I agree the design is bad.

Have you ever noticed the warning on the engine DO NOT REMOVE THE DIPSTICK WHILE ADDING OIL, what's with that, would it come out of the dipstick hole?
Hmmm... on a Chevy V-8, not possible. On the MO's VQ, it's plausible. I just do not want to find out first-hand. ;)

-njjoe

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am suffering the same problem, dipstick shows nothing, but on the blank side, it always shows something...... after running for 2-3 minutes, stop the engine, pull it out, it is full of oil on the dipstick that i can't read it at all.

·
Super Moderator
8,469 Posts
I'd think it would be a better idea to use the low reading.
How about taking both and averaging them? As they say, "It's not rocket surgery." :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Is there not someone who makes an aftermarket dipstick that works better than the OEM? I never have a real problem with it other than getting my hand in to be able to pull the dipstick out.

·
Super Moderator
8,469 Posts
:28: I'd still use the low reading. Oil is cheap, engines are not.
I understand. I wish the dipstick were easier to read, because it's hard to say whether it's less hazardous to run a quart low or a quart overfilled. My vote is for a quart low, and here's why:

- Oil provides two things: lubrication and heat dissipation. Yes, it's part of the engine's cooling system.

- Running a quart low doesn't affect lubrication at all. You'd have to get much lower before you ran the risk of losing oil pressure.
- Running a quart low does increase the risk of losing oil pressure if it's done over an extended period of time and no one checks the oil. Since that's never going to happen on any car I drive, I'm not concerned about this.
- Running a quart low does reduce the volume of oil available for cooling. Reducing the heat sink inherent in the oil volume might mean the engine runs a very few degrees hotter. Not likely to be a problem.

- Running a quart overfilled has one major hazard: if the rotating crankshaft contacts the oil and whips it allowing air to mix in, the entire lubrication system is compromised because air in the oil film allows the film to collapse and bearings can make metal to metal contact. This is very, very, bad.
- I have yet to read any account of how much overfill a Murano V6 can tolerate. I don't want to be the one who makes that discovery.
- Running overfilled would have one minor benefit: it would increase the amount of oil available to cool the engine. Not worth the risk in my book.

Let's all remember that the crankcase and filter hold around 5 quarts of oil. Running 4 quarts isn't going to hurt anything.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm well aware of the foam issue and I've heard of people running more than 1 qt low with no issue. The reason I going to stick with the low reading is because if I let the car sit long enough the two sides are less then 1/4" apart and 1/4" over is not going to be an issue. Also my experience is that the low side readings are always far more consistent.

·
Super Moderator
8,469 Posts
I'm well aware of the foam issue and I've heard of people running more than 1 qt low with no issue. The reason I going to stick with the low reading is because if I let the car sit long enough the two sides are less then 1/4" apart and 1/4" over is not going to be an issue. Also my experience is that the low side readings are always far more consistent.
Well said, and given the details, no argument from me!

I wish my dipstick marks would even out as closely as yours do.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts