Nissan Murano Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Yes, I am a technician at a Nissan dealer.

FWD Muranos are almost as rare as hen's teeth. You have better odds of finding a stick Maxima. The few I've seen lack all desirable options as well.
My dealer had a couple when I bought mine. And if they don't, they'll get them.

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
I do agree that it's specious of us to advise buying a different car than the OP already has...even though I may have been one who made that crack earlier. I think there have been good suggestions and arguments pro and con - he can make up his mind about whether he wants to mess with it.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are more FWD Muranos in southern and good-weather states, as there is less need for AWD in those areas. However, dealers like to order cars with more features, which may counteract that.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
The dirty little secret is the real problem with the seal is that there is nothing in the CVT for it to seat against, and keep it square. There is a little lip, but only on about 40% of the circumference. Thats not enough. It is an absolute pain to get the seal in square, and then you have to not bump the damn thing when re-installing the PTU.
Yup, absolutely right. That stupid seal has nothing to sit against and really easy to install crooked. Its up to the tech to be aware of what they're doing and install the TC in carefully not disturbing it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Holy hell, for some reason I totally forgot about this thread. Anyway I haven't done anything to mine, as I believe the real cause of TC/CVT failures is due to lack of fluid. I rag on the car a lot more than the typical driver, and nothing has given me problems, and I'm at 82,000mi. Off-road, WOT launches, over-excessive turning speeds, high-speed acceleration, more I probably shouldn't state. Overall, I'm very pleased the car hasn't given me any real problems.

Forgot about just taking the driveshaft out though. :29:

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
Glad you're doing well. Sorry for the unhelpful comments earlier.

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
Sorry, but I need to return to my previous position...AWD Murano is not an appropriate car for towing behind an RV.

To answer the question, it depends on how you "disable" it. You'd have to eliminate any mechanical connection between the front and back wheels, which would mean removing the driveshaft. That may or may not cause the fluid to leak out of the front end - with some vehicles, removing the driveshaft allows the transmission or transfer case (wherever it connects) to drain. I haven't removed a driveshaft from one so I can't tell you whether or not it will.

It seems unlikely that you would want to do this, as it would require some kind of lift, time and tools to accomplish even if it doesn't drain the assemblies on either end. I can't imagine that this would be a good solution...and you'd have to do research on it before trying it out.

The fact is, the AWD model of the Murano is simply not made to do this. A FWD Murano wouldn't be a problem as far as I know, as the drive wheels would be off the ground on a dolly.

I would suggest an older Honda CR-V as an option - some models were made with a Neutral setting for the transfer case, just like Jeeps. You can tow them with all four wheels on the ground without harming them.

Another option would be to hit Craigslist and find a used Jeep Cherokee (production ended in 2001) with 4WD and a nice neutral position designed to do exactly what you want. For under $3000 you could have a decent one that you use only for towing behind the RV.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I have to fully agree. If you must tow an AWD Murano behind you, all 4 wheels must be off the ground. I'm won't pretend to know enough about its AWD system other than you'd have to physically somehow disconnect the rear wheels from the system. Not sure how or if that can be done. If you have aa AWD Murano that's an 09 or newer, and I've mentioned this before, it's automatically in 50/50 AWD every time you pull away from a dead stop. So I'd imagine there'd be some major damage done by towing it the way you've described.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts