Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to admit I haven't read the entire manual yet but when having the stereo on in my Murano - particularly XM which displays a lot of info about the song and artist - the display does not go all the way to the right. The artist's name and the song name will only be displayed up to a point even though there is plenty of room to the right to display more info.

Does anybody know if there is a setting I need to change or is it this way for everyone? Thanks.

·
Registered
282 Posts
It's just XM. As I understand, they don't provide much info for the screen. On the other hand, Sirius can show almost three screens worth of info when you scroll it (if the song title is that long). It was one reason I went with them.

·
4,664 Posts
Yup, that's the way it is... Sirius

Attachments

·
4,664 Posts
XM

Attachments

·
4,664 Posts
And my new Satellite Radio service, but I keep breaking rubber bands trying to get the satellites launched so I'm not sure if it will "get off the ground"... I'll have to see if MiniMe can help.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
MO Dale said:
It's just XM. As I understand, they don't provide much info for the screen. On the other hand, Sirius can show almost three screens worth of info when you scroll it (if the song title is that long). It was one reason I went with them.
Actually, the 10 Character limit displayed on the Murano is in the OEM XM receiver. Most of the older XM add on receivers will display up to 16 characters while the newer ones display up to 32. On the newer ones, there is also a stock ticker that can be displayed. I wonder if the newer Nissan OEM XM receivers are capable of this as mine, in an '03 has the 10 character limit.

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
rwm3100 said:

Actually, the 10 Character limit displayed on the Murano is in the OEM XM receiver. Most of the older XM add on receivers will display up to 16 characters while the newer ones display up to 32. On the newer ones, there is also a stock ticker that can be displayed. I wonder if the newer Nissan OEM XM receivers are capable of this as mine, in an '03 has the 10 character limit.
My '05 OEM XM Receiver still has the 10 char limit. Sure would be NICE to have more, but to be truthful I figure 10 chars is adequate.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Honda Accord XM not truncated

Hmmm. Interesting. My wife just got a 2004 Accord with XM already installed (they give you 3 months free as well) and she can see ALL characters. So I guess the suggestion that it's the particular "model" of receiver I got that is the issue. I had it installed after market at the dealership. Never would have thought to ask about something like character truncation as an issue or I would have gone another route. Because I'm up on music I usually know who the artist and song is - can figure it out - but not displaying all the info when the screen size is there is very very lame. I'm still gonna do some research though and see what I can find out. Seems like I should be able to get my $$$ back but they'd probably screw up my car doing it.

·
4,664 Posts
If you get an aftermarket XM receiver for the Murano, you get Zero characters on the Murano's display.

Depends what you want and if you like having another display and separate controls.

I agree it's lame, as it's only software in the receiver. The radio can do it...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bose (Clarion)

According to the dealership a Clarion (any relation to Bose) receiver was installed. They didn't give me any documentation other than warranty information. I guess this is considered OEM. If I understand correctly, if I had gone with some aftermarket product I would have had to have an additional display on the dash ? I don't see why they're all not the same.:3:

·
4,664 Posts
Re: Bose (Clarion)

MichaelMurano said:
According to the dealership a Clarion (any relation to Bose) receiver was installed. They didn't give me any documentation other than warranty information. I guess this is considered OEM. If I understand correctly, if I had gone with some aftermarket product I would have had to have an additional display on the dash ? I don't see why they're all not the same.:3:
Bose doesn't build the system, it's all Clarion. Clarion used to be majority owned by Nissan. Like Jatco is majority owned by Nissan. (Maker of the CVT.)

Clarion builds to Nissan spec, Nissan licences name from Bose, Bose probably made recommendations to Nissan.

I figure it went like this.

Nissan: Can we use these speakers? They seem to be adequate, handle decent power and we can get them really cheap.

Bose: Send us some. Yeah they look OK. Pay us money and you can put our name on them.

Nissan: Hey Clarion, Bose says those are OK, so supply them and here's the artwork for the radio from Bose.

Clarion: Yes Sir, will have them to you in X weeks. We'll build the Sat receivers to work on the CD changer interface and add some commands to support the track information.

Nissan: Sure, sounds good, but we don't know how many we'll sell, so don't go nuts on it, just make it work, OK?

Clarion, sure, we'll just grab the first few characters and send those. Should be good enough. We'll use the same software routines we use for reading CD track info...

Nissan: Sure, whatever... As long as it has a SAT button on it, the sales bozos can point to the button and get the customer to sign...

Of course, this is the "jaak" version, but I doubt it's far off...:p

·
Registered
78 Posts
Re: Re: Bose (Clarion)

jaak said:

Clarion, sure, we'll just grab the first few characters and send those. Should be good enough. We'll use the same software routines we use for reading CD track info...

Nissan: Sure, whatever... As long as it has a SAT button on it, the sales bozos can point to the button and get the customer to sign...

Of course, this is the "jaak" version, but I doubt it's far off...:p
I think the 10 Character limit on XM went this way. I recall reading someplace that the first generation XM codec chips and receivers could only decode 10 characters. The next generation chips could handle 16, and now the current can process 32 characters. That leads me to think that the Clarion OEM XM receiver for Nissan is using the first generation chips. I was hoping the latest OEM receivers might have second or third generation chips, but from what I read in this thread, that must not be the case, or else Clarion has not rewritten the code to use the extra characters.

·
4,664 Posts
Ahh... That sounds likely.

I would expect they won't change it until they deplete their stock of chips and are forced to roll the design.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
now what

jaak - Your sarcasm was great. And you're probably right. I'm the same way. Some call it negativity. I call it reality.

RVM - you reply sounds right on. Great summation of the technical reason.

Now I have to ask - how do I fix the situation without buying all new hardware ? :3:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts