Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok,

i drove the murano down the street to drop off a letter in the mailbox by myself, no cargo. Heres what happened with the Distance to Empty display on the entire time:

-Turned car on, display says 324
-Drove 100 ft, display says 318
-Drove another 200 ft and stopped at stop sign, display says 311
-Drove 500 ft, display says 315
-Drove half a mile and stopped, display says 320
-Put car in reverse to make the uturn, display says 318
-Drove quarter of a mile and stopped at mailbox, display says 315
-Put car in drive from mailbox, display says 311
-Drove 500 feet, display says 309
-Parked car at house, display says 307

So now, does anyone agree that something might be wrong with my computer?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Not sure. I think the DTE computer works best when the vehicle is being driven for a consistent distance. I believe it averages your distance traveled versus fuel consumed versus fuel in your tank, trying to approximate how much further you can go at your current speed.

At least it didn't go from 324 to 250 :p

I had my DTE say 16 miles remaining once, while I was on the freeway going a steady 65 MPH. When I had to exit and got into stop-and-go traffic on the offramp, it started going down, all the way to 1 Mile Remaining. It held at 1 while I managed another -short- freeway distance and an overpass on my way to the gas station.

If I had kept going on that second short bit of freeway, the DTE would've probably worked itself out again.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
There is nothing wrong with your computer.

The range of the distance-to-empty (324 to 307) indicates that you basically had a full tank of gas.
So you did not have a lot of miles on this particular reading.
As your MPG varies, so does your DTE naturally.

If your tank held 20 gals and your "average" MPG was about 16
you would have started with 320 Miles DTE.

If your MPG dropped to 15.3 because of the four starts from zero,
15.3 x 20 = 307 miles to DTE.

All that says is that IF you averaged 16 MPG you could go 320 miles until empty and IF you averaged 15.3 MPG you could go 307 miles to empty and both statements are true.

Further, if over the next 160 miles, you continued to average 16 MPG the DTE would = 160 miles.
THEN if suddenly you put it out on the Highway and averaged 24 MPG the DTE number would likely not go down for a long time and may even go UP!
In the end, you would have averaged "About" 20 MPG and would have driven 400 miles on a tank of gas.

The DTE shows how much further you can drive based on the average fuel usage up to that point.

Homer

all of the above is just an example.
The tank is actually about 21.5 gals and it is likely there are some arithmetic assumptions made that are not strictly accurate.
But conceptually, the above is true.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have experienced many of the same issues. One time I filled up and it had the * symbol for about 10 miles even after I reset the fuel econ reading. My favorite is when it says 105 miles to empty for 20-25 miles. I can check the reading and it stays the same even though I am traveling a freeway speeds. I wish it was a real time, accurate indicator. I reset the MPG guage and drove down a steep hill and got 99.9 mpg, I wanted to see how many miles I had until empty and it didn't adjust.

·
4,664 Posts
Not on purpose, and I must admit I was quite concerned at the time, but I drove about 4 miles on distance to empty 0. I wonder how much over it is....

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have driven as much as 50km with ** showing on the distance to empty and only managed to put 71.968litres in on the fill when Canadian spec for the tank is 82 litres. The fill tube from the cap to the tank is only about and inch in diameter so I don't think it would hold much, so total capacity is probably pretty close.

I would sure like to see better warning for low fuel no ding? or maybe they could have had the low fuel trigger display of the DTE on the display

Mind you I had Dodge Caravan that experienced fuel sender problems courtesy of Shell and one of their new additives which turned the sender into a glob of gue three times for me before they finally fessed up that they had a problem and paid for everyones costs. The result was a gas guage that swung from full to empty about four or five times a minute complete with the low fuel chime going off. Dodge in there infinite wisdom built that chime into the largest controller board they could find and buried it deep, so there was no way to unplug it or even reach it to muffle it. I almost took an axe to the dashboard it was so irritating.

·
Registered
26 Posts
DTE Experience

On highway last week, at 65mph, I ran DTE down to **** then 10 miles past (by odometer). I was certainly concerned, but when I filled up, the tank topped out at 19.5 gallons. Does this mean that I had .5 gallons left (and 12 more miles)?

·
Registered
466 Posts
In the Murano service manual, it states that as soon as the low fuel warning illuminates, the DTE should read **. I don't know why they do this, but it is irritating. After all, DTE in my opinion should read DTE.

Also, has anyone had a problem with the fuel guage not going all the way full. Well, this is kinda hard to explain. After fill-up, the needle usually goes past the "F" bold line, correct? Mine always has until the last few fill ups. Now, it's barely touching the lower side of the "F" bold line, and then over time, it slowly creeps up to around the middle of the "F" bold line, and no further...:confused:

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
jaak said:
Not on purpose, and I must admit I was quite concerned at the time, but I drove about 4 miles on distance to empty 0. I wonder how much over it is....
Mine is currently reading this. I hope I can make it to the gas station on my way to the gym today.
I came out of work this morning and it read 13, then went to 22 and now its on 0. It's all my fault. After working overnight I was too lazy to get out in the cold at 6 AM to filllerup!

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
After several fillups you should have an idea of the range of your Murano under your driving conditions, regardless of the almost useless DTE guage. The low gas light comes on for me when I have about 2.5 - 3.0 gallons remaining.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
My experience is about the same ~3 gallons left in the tank. Hey what do you think the DTE would do if while on the highway going down a hill you put the MO in neutral? Ah never mind.... I just fill'er up at the 1/2 mark in my "Mr. like a full tank" personality. :4:

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
"Hey what do you think the DTE would do if while on the highway going down a hill you put the MO in neutral? "

It wouldn't do much.*

The DTE works on the Average MPG up to that point.
If you had gone say 100 miles at 20MPG and then could coast 1 mile with the Average MPG at say, 100MPG for 1 mile, you can see that you wouldn't affect the MPG hardly at all, therefore you wouldn't affect the DTE hardly at all, IMO.

Homer

*Now if you filled up and drove out of the gas station and coasted down a 1 mile hill , you would probably find out what the max read out was. 999 miles?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Wellllllll maybe I am the only one to run out of fuel so far. But I was busy as could be, driving with the wife and didn't want her to stop so I didn't say anything.
So, of course, the next day I had a lot to do and forgot about the fuel. I ran out after driving about 40 miles approx. So there is a lot of fuel left from when the light comes on to when you are FULLY out. Although, not like previous vehicles, there was no warning, just a barely heard sputter and no more, luckily I was on a slight decline, that went into a steep one for 1/4 mile and at the bottom was a fuel station. I had to push for the last 1/10, luckily a lady came to help as I was hurting pretty bad!!! (I have a bad disk!)
So after that lesson, I won't be forgetting again I am sure. I also have better knowledge on how far I can really sustain on E.
Chez

1 - 13 of 13 Posts