Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving back home and the distance to empty indicator read "22 miles" and I was just about 12 miles from home. Suddenly, it started dropping like crazy from 22, 21, 20 all the way to 4. I got scared and took the nearest exit into a gas station. By then it showed 2 miles. I don't know whatever happened.

Caution: Do not wait until distance to empty displays 20+ miles before you fill in. These electronic systems are stupid and crazy.

Also once it started calculating mileage arbitrarily 14.5 miles/gallon and suddenly 18.4, 19.5 etc within a few hundred feet.

·
Registered
522 Posts
20 miles is just a single gallon. Sloshing around is to be expected, you can't really expect it to accurately know how much fuel there is to the fractions of a gallon.

Also, don't panic when it gets to *, you still have at least around 2 gallons left, there's lots of reserve in that tank.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh! So it displays a * when it reaches the reserve. Never been in that situation though.

·
Registered
522 Posts
How much fuel did you put into the tank when you filled up?

·
Registered
43 Posts
BEWARE THE ALMIGHTY FUNNELING GAS TANK, nissans have this rep for building a gas tank like a funnel, they seem like the mpg is great , then when you get to 1/4 tank the gas gauge plummits......rapidly

·
Registered
72 Posts
Been there, done that. I let the gas gauge get low and at around 20 miles till empty, it went to the *. Filled it up quick and it took right at 18 gallons.

Marc

·
Registered
26 Posts
DTE Drops fast

This is my guess.....

The onboard computer probably determines your DTE based on how much fuel you are consuming at any point in time. Based on that point in time, it calculates what your estimated DTE is.

Because of this, it can change quickly if you are accelerating or going up hill.

Just a guess.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts