Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone dared to see how far they could go on an empty tank after the distance to empty reading dissappears?

I personally went another 20 miles before I got nervous and then stopped at a gas station!

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
no kiddin!

The other day mine was below the E line and the panel said I had 70 miles left...if I was in central Florida on that 30+ mile stretch of 75 with no service stations I think you could probably take my pulse from the outside of the car if I was seeing the same thing.
That said....
I went and filled up and only squeezed 18 gallons into it so the analog gauge is off a bit.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
This is really dependent on where you are, how you are driving and road conditions. I would always feel comfortable with about 40 miles. On a level road, I think the light comes on with about 2 1/2 gallons of fuel left.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Oh MY GOD!!!

I drive 65-70 miles a day to work between NY and NJ, gas is a lot cheaper in NJ so I generally fill up in NJ......around $2.05 for premium at a local station. NY is around $2.39 for premo gas.
Well I was supposed to get gas one evening before I left Jersey, only to find myself knee-deep into a phone converstion and foundmyself half way thru the Holland tunnel into Manhattan. At this time the DTE read 60miles to go. By the time I got home, the DTE read 20 miles. I simply refused to buy gas in NY so I went back to work (34 miles) without refueling and was so nervous that I would stall somewhere that I kept starring at the gas gauge which by this
time was below "E" and pegged out. The DTE was a * and any minute now the engine is going to sputter, cough and go silent. All I can imagine is my car coasting to a stop in the middle of the highway, telling the first cop on the scene that I ran out of gas (looking like the dumb a$$). I know it was extremely foolish over a few cents worth of gas but it became a vendetta for me.
By the time I reached the nearest service station across the Hudson river, the middle eastern gas attendant asked me how much, I was like FILL her up quick!
We both watched the pump go, and go, and go................
By the time we heard the "click" of the fuel nozzle, amazingly my MO drank 20.79 gallons at a cost of $43 bucks.....whewww!!!

:cursin: damn, it use to cost me about $28-30.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Re: Oh MY GOD!!!

Boobaba said:
I drive 65-70 miles a day to work between NY and NJ, gas is a lot cheaper in NJ so I generally fill up in NJ......around $2.05 for premium at a local station. NY is around $2.39 for premo gas.
Well I was supposed to get gas one evening before I left Jersey, only to find myself knee-deep into a phone converstion and foundmyself half way thru the Holland tunnel into Manhattan. At this time the DTE read 60miles to go. By the time I got home, the DTE read 20 miles. I simply refused to buy gas in NY so I went back to work (34 miles) without refueling and was so nervous that I would stall somewhere that I kept starring at the gas gauge which by this
time was below "E" and pegged out. The DTE was a * and any minute now the engine is going to sputter, cough and go silent. All I can imagine is my car coasting to a stop in the middle of the highway, telling the first cop on the scene that I ran out of gas (looking like the dumb a$$). I know it was extremely foolish over a few cents worth of gas but it became a vendetta for me.
By the time I reached the nearest service station across the Hudson river, the middle eastern gas attendant asked me how much, I was like FILL her up quick!
We both watched the pump go, and go, and go................
By the time we heard the "click" of the fuel nozzle, amazingly my MO drank 20.79 gallons at a cost of $43 bucks.....whewww!!!

:cursin: damn, it use to cost me about $28-30.
Let's see, so you drove 70 miles, to save 30 cents a gallon on gas. Assuming you get 20mpg, that would have used 3.5 gallons, and it is unlikely you ended up even saving money on the fillup (since you used about 15% of the gas in your tank to save 15% on gas). Oh well, at least it made for an exciting adventure! I guess we make any excuse to drive our Muranos! hehe

·
Registered
443 Posts
If you read his post, he didn't drive just for the gas, he was on his way to work the next day.

Also, the concept of buying at the lowest price station isn't just the few cents you save; it is that you reward the vendor with the lowest price by giving him your business. (Or in this case, the state with the lower tax).

Some people get worked up about running nearly empty because the crap that is floating around in your tank will drain and possibly end up in your fuel pump. However, I can't imagine how doing this once or twice, particularly on a new car, is going to matter all that much... unless you intend on keeping the thing for 10 years.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Running on Empty

This whole thread reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer was test driving a Saab for Jerry and told the Salesman that Jerry doesn't like to have to fill up too often and he had to see how far it would go on "E". Salesman asked where they were going, Kramer's response: " A litlle place I like to call You'll See" . Classic episode!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Halo--- If you read his post, he didn't drive just for the gas, he was on his way to work the next day.
:29:
Thanks Bro....................

Halo was right, I went BACK to work on vapors, determined to buy the lowest price gas I can find. Paying $40-$43 bucks at every fill-up is better than paying $50. I drive 350 miles a week so I have to fill up every six or seven days. Again it was only a vendetta for me to NOT buy gas where I feel that we as NYers are paying too much already on EVERYTHING!
Believe me, the $7 bucks is not alot of money to save when I'm driving a $31K+ automobile so don't think it was all about the money.
Halo, u hit the nail on the head: If another service station or State has a better or less expensive price, that's who gets my business.
NOT the price gougers!!!!!:14:

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've already run on 'E' twice in about 1500 miles. The first time, it just flipped to '*' on DTE as I pulled into the pumps. It only took 72 liters to fill vs. the 82 the manual says is the capacity. That means 10 liters, more than 2 gallons still in the tank...... At least 40 miles of reserve.

The second time was much more nerve wracking. I'd been on empty for awhile, got to the gas station only to discover that the fuel tank door would...not....unlock. No way, tried everything in the manual - would not open. I had a long drive to the dealers in the morning, expecting to run out in the middle of rush hour. They claimed to have fixed the problem, this time it took 79 liters.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Bruno,

That's great info that you relayed to us MO-iesters!

Now, I won't sweat at all when I'm a hair above the Empty peg and 5 miles from the nearest gas station.

:2: :4: :1: :4: :2:

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have done about 30+ miles city driving with the * on display wasn't lack of gas stations just got distracted and realized I forgot to fill up first thing in the morning as I intended. It was on the * when I parked the night before.

It sure would be nice if the display promted you to fill up. If you are listening to the cd the dte does not show and the fill warning light is a zero with no chime.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i dont own this car (yet), but out of curiosity, how much does it cost you guys (on average) to fill this car up from E to Full.

My brother has an FX35, cost him 70(cad) easy, and i am also thinking of the new pathfinder but since gas a serious factor in my decision, murano is still #1 choice.

·
5,268 Posts
US$40.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
IMHO I would rely more on the low fuel light than the DTE indications. I agree with above post that the light comes on ~2½ gallons remaining.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you ever notice that the miles to empty accelerate when you get towards 0. For instance, the MTE ticks down consistently (mile for mile) until it gets to about 10. Then, it starts to tick down 1-1/2 to 2 miles for each mile driven.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Tintin said:
i dont own this car (yet), but out of curiosity, how much does it cost you guys (on average) to fill this car up from E to Full.

My brother has an FX35, cost him 70(cad) easy, and i am also thinking of the new pathfinder but since gas a serious factor in my decision, murano is still #1 choice.
Last fillup for ~18.5 gallons of super at 2.46/gal was almost $50US. Unless you drive long distances and light foot it, you'll never achieve the EPA mileage ratings in any car.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
dillrob said:
Did you ever notice that the miles to empty accelerate when you get towards 0. For instance, the MTE ticks down consistently (mile for mile) until it gets to about 10. Then, it starts to tick down 1-1/2 to 2 miles for each mile driven.
Actually, I made it about 10km after my gauge said 5km DTE and another 14km after it read *. I was really lucky to make it to a gas station (I had long given up on making it), by driving really easy on the throttle and more slowly than usual.

Also, if your engine is cold, it will be running rich, which seems to make the DTE drop FAST when it's almost empty. I guess the calculations don't take that into account.

I guess it all depends on conditions, but the calculation is just a rough guess.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
So many factors in the DTE.... current speed throttle position gas it thinks is remaining.... I'm sure its accurate for that moment but things change.

IMHO it would be more valuable to know exactly how much fuel was in the tank and let me do my own calculations. My be the pilot in me.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I'd rather just stop and fill up.

Keeping the tank somewhat full is good for a couple reasons. Keeps the pump cool. Keeps from sucking up any crap in the tank - or at least a better chance of not.

I prefer to keep a 1/4 tank in any car I drive.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts