Nissan Murano Forum banner

21 - 40 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Gonzo said:
Interesting... what and where can we determine is the CVT detoriation date?
Gonzo-

I hope you are referring to the CVT fluid deterioration date. I want to believe the CVT itself will last quite a long time. :p

The CVT "brain" uses an algorithm to determine the remaining life of the CVT fluid. The Consult-II tool interrogates the brain and if the "CVTF DETERIORATION DATE" is greater then 210,000 the fluid needs to be changed.

-njjoe

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Gonzo said:

I wasn't implying the it had a filter but leaving much of the fluid in the system as it would occur if an oil filter was left on after an oil change. I wasn't very clear.

I want "maxium flushage" for a tranny fluid change.... if that is even possible.
Gonzo-

If you follow the procedure in the Service Manual and want maximum "flushage" the SM indicates "about 30 - 50% extra fluid will be required". That is quite a bit of $$$.

-njjoe

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
njjoe said:

Gonzo-

If you follow the procedure in the Service Manual and want maximum "flushage" the SM indicates "about 30 - 50% extra fluid will be required". That is quite a bit of $$$.

-njjoe
True but the CVT is quite a bit more of $$$.

·
5,268 Posts
Gonzo,

I believe that to do it right way you need to take off the CVT pan and clean it out. Then flash the system. And I do agree with you that the extra $$$ for 50% more CVT fluid is a small price to pay.

Just my 2c.....

·
Love to live w/ MO
419 Posts
well, i started working towards my CVT flush.... although at 47,500 KM, but still this deal was awesome.... a pair of 2 ton axle stands..... for 9.99$.... so i got 2 pairs.... will be handy for any other projects as well, i.e tire rotation etc

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I had a set of $9.99 jackstands in the beginning as well, but quickly found that I needed some really beefy jackstands that could raise the car high enough (these only went up to maybe 14-15") to really work underneath it (without the crossmember being 2" from my nose) I opted for a set of high jackstands (20" lift) with 4 ton capacity. They cost around $50 a pair, but the extra space underneath made them really worth it. Matches nicely to the jack I use, which can lift up to the same height I think.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Get the rhino ramps from Walmart and just put in front of the front and rear wheels and drive up if you want to raise all four. Much safer and easier than sittin on four jack stands which leaves you with no tires to chock. Probably gives you more room underneath as well and I believe they were fairly cheap when I bought mine. Just a though for anyone who likes to work underneath there car. If you figure you would need two any way to do the front end work, it only leaves you buying one extra set.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just did a CVT fluid drain and fill on my 2003 MO. Took just shy of 6 quarts. At 53,000 miles, the fluid in my 1 gallon containers looked like dirty motor oil. Made me cringe... For $135 bucks, it's still cheaper than a new $6000 CVT. Afterwards, CVT dipstick looked much clearer. The dealer here says change it every 60,000 miles. I see why...

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Pat03MO said:
Just did a CVT fluid drain and fill on my 2003 MO. Took just shy of 6 quarts. At 53,000 miles, the fluid in my 1 gallon containers looked like dirty motor oil. Made me cringe... For $135 bucks, it's still cheaper than a new $6000 CVT. Afterwards, CVT dipstick looked much clearer. The dealer here says change it every 60,000 miles. I see why...
Congrats - yeah my CVT fluid didn't look too hot after even 30,000 miles. I am glad I changed it.

·
5,268 Posts
The look of the fluid does not mean much.

However, I still would drain-and-fill it every 30k miles. It is a cheap insurance......I did it with the FX as well. Money well spent.

I know Joe will not agree with us but....;)

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Kris said:
The look of the fluid does not mean much.

However, I still would drain-and-fill it every 30k miles. It is a cheap insurance......I did it with the FX as well. Money well spent.

I know Joe will not agree with us but....;)
:2:

-njjoe

·
Registered
16 Posts
When I mentioned the color of the CVT fluid, I was in my mind (probably incorrectly) comparing it to the color differences in good 'ol red automatic transmission fluid. When its fluid color gets darker, it gives a fair indication of when it's (past?) due for a fluid change. Thanks all for the input. Bottom line is we all agree that changing it early is good insurance against having to spend thousands of dollars for a new CVT out of warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here is another option for CVT fluid manufactured by Nippon Oil, the largest oil company in Japan. They supply the factory fill engine oil, transmission fluid to Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mitsubishi, and Hyundai.

They recently launched ENEOS - their first aftermarket brand of fully-synthetic engine oils and ATF including CVT fluid.

It is an alternative to the $18-25 per quart from the Nissan dealership.

Here is more info:
http://www.eneos.us/web/cvt_fluid.aspx
http://www.ChrysanStore.com

Full disclosure: Yes, we are a distributor for ENEOS! :)

- Suk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Looks like a good alternative, since it does list it as being a replacement for the NS2-CVT fluid.

Do you know if they are the source for Nissan OEM fluid?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can't say for sure about a specific product (i.e. the OEM CVT fluid) due to confidentiality agreements. But, this is what ENEOS says on their home page: www.eneos.us

"We are proud to supply leading car manufacturers on a factory fill basis. NOC develops oils for Japanese automobile and motorcycle manufacturers: Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Yamaha, Hyundai. NOC is the major supplier of lubricants in Japan, USA and other countries."

So, I interpret this as they supply some or all of the OEM fluids to the Asian car manufacturers. It may be engine oil, transmission fluid, CVT fluid, or a combination of these fluids.

Hope this helps.

- Suk

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Hmmm, the first alternative for Nissan's NS-2 fluid. I wonder who will be the first to give it a try.

·
5,268 Posts
Eric L. said:
Hmmm, the first alternative for Nissan's NS-2 fluid. I wonder who will be the first to give it a try.
ye, it is an interesting question. It is quite likely this is the same fluid.....

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Eric L. said:
You guys know sure as hell it ain't gonna' be me. At least not until she hits 150,000 miles. :D

-njjoe

·
5,268 Posts
Joe,

you would be last on mine mind when it comes to CVT fluid change...:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the replies & feedback, everyone

I understand that the dealerships & quick lubes want you to come in as often as possible and they recommend a CVT flush every 30,000 miles.

But $300+ for a CVT flush at the dealership is tough to swallow.

This is another source of CVT fluid from a very reputable oil company (Nippon Oil) where previously there was no other choice but the dealership.

Quite a few Toyota/Honda dealerships are already on board on the West Coast. Check out a distributor in California: http://www.eneos.us/web/dealer_locator.aspx?state=ca

I will also check with ENEOS's technical guy for more supporting data specifically regarding Nissan CVTs.

Stay tuned.

- Suk

21 - 40 of 144 Posts
About this Discussion
143 Replies
55 Participants
fuioiks
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing