Nissan Murano Forum banner

81 - 100 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
I realize that the NS-2 fluid is not cheap (15 to 20 $/bottle depending on where you get it).
The only place I've been able to find it is at the local Nissan dealer and they charge $29.95 plus tax per liter.
No surprise really since they are liars, thieves and worst of all utterly incompetent.

After talking to Parts, I asked Service how much to change the CVT fluid.
"I don't know, we have never done a change on a Murano. There is no need, none of them have shown up on the computer as needing changing. We see 2003 models with high miles, no need to change"

"If you did change it, how much would you charge?"

"About $200"

I thought hmmmmm, I'll need nearly $200 worth of fluid alone , so the labour is free.

"So, it is $200, when can you book me for the fluid change?"

"Uh, it will be more than that...."

"How much more, don't you have a flat rate?"

"I'd have to check how much more"

"I'll wait"

5 minutes on hold later "Hello, West End Nissan, how can we help you?"

The service advisor had left me on hold and gone for lunch. This is actually one of the better treatments I've had at this dealer. It is an astonishing business, really- no idea how they have both survived and apparently prospered. Because of them, I'll be unable to ever buy another Nissan, nor will any of my large family and extended circle of friends.

I actually like my Murano but I'd be a fool to ever buy a Nissan again.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
They are probably saving their attention for ignorant customers who are not as well informed as you are about how much parts and fluids costs. After all, how else will they screw people over with unnecessary services if customers even know their Murano has a CVT transmission (I am willing to bet the average MO owner has no clue what a CVT is, or that they even have one).

bruno said:

The only place I've been able to find it is at the local Nissan dealer and they charge $29.95 plus tax per liter.
No surprise really since they are liars, thieves and worst of all utterly incompetent.

After talking to Parts, I asked Service how much to change the CVT fluid.
"I don't know, we have never done a change on a Murano. There is no need, none of them have shown up on the computer as needing changing. We see 2003 models with high miles, no need to change"

"If you did change it, how much would you charge?"

"About $200"

I thought hmmmmm, I'll need nearly $200 worth of fluid alone , so the labour is free.

"So, it is $200, when can you book me for the fluid change?"

"Uh, it will be more than that...."

"How much more, don't you have a flat rate?"

"I'd have to check how much more"

"I'll wait"

5 minutes on hold later "Hello, West End Nissan, how can we help you?"

The service advisor had left me on hold and gone for lunch. This is actually one of the better treatments I've had at this dealer. It is an astonishing business, really- no idea how they have both survived and apparently prospered. Because of them, I'll be unable to ever buy another Nissan, nor will any of my large family and extended circle of friends.

I actually like my Murano but I'd be a fool to ever buy a Nissan again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2005 AWD with 56k miles on it. The CVT drain plug is on the bottom of the finned pan at the rear edge towards the centerline of the vehicle and uses a 10mm hex to loosen it. Takes a breaker bar. The plug has an 'o-ring' instead of a washer so be careful. Takes about 20 minutes for it to stop dripping. Very easy job. Took almost all 6 quarts to refill the trans.

Nissan says NEVER crack the pan. You will void the warranty. The local dealer does not have the authority to crack it either. If there is a problem, they ship it off and get a replacement. The first thing they check is if anything other than Nissan CVT -2 was ever in the tranny. The dealer has the ability to see if anyone added ATF to it. If they did, no warranty. The depot they send it to will also check.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I have a 2005 AWD with 56k miles on it. The CVT drain plug is on the bottom of the finned pan at the rear edge towards the centerline of the vehicle and uses a 10mm hex to loosen it. Takes a breaker bar. The plug has an 'o-ring' instead of a washer so be careful. Takes about 20 minutes for it to stop dripping. Very easy job. Took almost all 6 quarts to refill the trans.

So, how would you assess the condition of your cvt fluid? (color, feel, smell, etc.) Were there anything on the plug? Does the color look similar to the new one? With such a low mileage, it maybe just a waste of money to change it so early....but if it'll make you sleep better then nothing beats that I guess.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just to add a little on not removing the plug, that's crazy. Even if you use the cooler line method, you start by a drain and fill of the pan. Then you start the engine with the cooler line going into a bucket and add fluid.

If you just start the engine without fresh fluid in the pan, you're mixing old with new and it's going to take a lot more fluid to get 100% fresh fluid.

I did mine at an extremely early interval. I'm real big on getting any break-in material out. Same goes with the engine and coolant. I drained the coolant on the TL and Murano when they were pretty new and got a fair amount of sand out, probably left over from the casting process.

What I ended up doing was a couple drain and refills instead of the cooler lines. I should have about 70% new fluid in there. I just didn't have another person at the time to make sure the line did not spew fluid everywhere and fill it at the same time.

I used Redline non slip CVT fluid and have been on it for a little over 30,000 miles. So far much smoother operation and more consistant operation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I change tramission oil Eneos CVT about 1 month ago my nissan murano 2003,124000 miles. now drive about 950 miles, it is work good and shift gear properly no slip. Only makesure don't over fill oil, keep oil mark litle below hot mark on gauge. drive 25 mile check it. Flush tramission steps following.
1. take empty milk gallon or clear plastic gallon container, pourd 1 quart water, mark by black marker water level. empty container.
2. open trasmission pan drain bolt, drain out oil and fill 5 qt. Eneos CVT oil.
3. Securley jack up car and driver side 1/2" diameter black Trasmission oil cooler hose open at bottom of radiator carefully because radiator metal very soft metal. and buy 3 ft 1/2" vinal tube and attache at radiotor oil cooler side other end tube keep in a milk gallon.
4.Turn on murano about 45 sec. or watch mark on milk gallon. if oil come out at mark stop car. fill one qt.eneos oil at guage, repeate this about 5 to 6 time untill new red oil not come out in milk gallon.
5. connect back transmisson cool hose to radiator and fill about 2 qt. eneos cvt. drive 25 mile and check gauge mark. oil must little below hot mark when check oil level car must level surface.
6. Don't over fill oil because CVT gear change according transmisson oil pressor, if you fill more oil, gear change at higher RPM and you lose milage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

Those who have taken old CVT fluid to your local autoparts stores..recycling places... Is old CVT fluid considered as ATF, and they simply accept it? Or, did you have to find a particular place that would accept old CVT fluid specifically?

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Hi, I am new to this Forum. But I see a lot of good information. I nave a 2007 Nissan Murano all wheel drive. I have driven 101000 miles. I think I need to change the CVT fluid. I called the dealer and they told me if I want to change or flush the fluid,. I am afraid to flush the cvt. I am concerned that if I was to flush the cvt fluid i will mess uo the Transmission. Can anyone please help with it? Thank you .

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
AJK-

Welcome to the forum!

Although more costly, the flush is preferred because it will remove a significantly greater volume of the old fluid.

Also, there is no manufacturer's requirement to change the fluid at a specific mileage interval. The CVT's brain manages an algorithm that calculates a change interval based on variables that are known only to the Nissan engineers. It's called the CVTF Deterioration Date and from what we have seen the replacement interval is several hundred thousand miles! Check out this thread where I first found the CVTF Deterioration Date for my MO: http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/61-general-discussions/14870-cvtf-deterioration-date.html

Now having said all that, changing the fluid earlier than suggested by the CVTF Deterioration Date can only benefit the transmission.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Hi Guys, Please help. I have 2007 Murano with 100,000 miles. I am given two options. One to replace the CVT fluid and the second option is to flush the cvt fluid. Any suggestions. Should I just replace the fluid or get it flushed ? Thank you. with my other cars with high milage I was told not to replace the Transmission fluid because it can actually mess up the transmission. Thank you.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
sorry fellows. It is already replied by njjoe. My apologies.
AJK-

There is no need to apologize. Most requests for information are usually followed-up with numerous responses.

-njjoe

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Hi Guys, Please help. I have 2007 Murano with 100,000 miles. I am given two options. One to replace the CVT fluid and the second option is to flush the cvt fluid. Any suggestions.
If a dealer is telling you to do this based on the mileage and not after doing a CVT fluid analysis (or at least doing a physical check and explaining to you why the fluid needs to be changed, ie it's milky, dark in color, smells burned, etc), RUN, don't walk, to another dealer.

As Joe explained, there is NO change interval (either age or mileage) specified by Nissan.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
my 2004 murano has a hex wrench drain plug not a 19mm socket. Can anyone confirm what size hex it is?
10mm.

You must have the finned aluminum fluid pan versus the steel pan with the 19mm drain plug. On yours you won't need to replace the drain plug washer, you can reuse your original.

·
Registered
39 Posts
10mm.

You must have the finned aluminum fluid pan versus the steel pan with the 19mm drain plug. On yours you won't need to replace the drain plug washer, you can reuse your original.
I do have the finned pan. Thanks for the info on the tool. I'll buy one soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Decision on CVT fluid drain

I have read this thread front to back and it seems to be divided into two camps.

1. The "Remove the drain plug and replace around 6-7 quarts of CVT fluid"
2. The "Flush from the cooler hose while leaving the car running and replacing 10-12 quarts"

Not sure which I would choose. My situation is 03 SL with 131K. Bought from dealer at 64k. Unsure if the CVT fluid has ever been changed.

Recommendations?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Just drain and fill it bro. Don't even mess around with the cooler because its never really good to run the tranny close to being dry. Get it nice and hot, preferably right after driving some where then drain it for a few hours, fill back up with about 5-6 quarts.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
With 80K I flushed my CVT fluid today. Jacked up the front and removed the clips of the plastic cover/guard to show the bottom of the radiator. Removed the CVT drain plug with 10mm hex. Then, I removed the driver side cooler hose line under the radiator. Left it dripping for several hours cooked 3 dishes and came back after dinner. I got about 7 quarts from the pan and another 1/2 quart from the cooler line. Cleaned and reinstalled the drain plug and refilled 7 quarts into the dipstick hole. Attached a different hose--I used an old shower hose line thats a perfect fit-- to the aluminum nipple of the cooler line and secured it with a hose clamp. Got the wifey to start the car 5 times/1 quart a time---Filling in new fluid each time. Reinstalled the cvt hose line back to the cooler nipple and secured it with the clamp. Turned on the ignition and checked the cvt fluid level. All is good. Just a little over the upper mark. Test drove and checked for leaks and fluid level again. All is good and reinstalled the plastic cover. Login the work.

You can see on the pix the color of the old cvt fluid. Did not look so bad if you take a drop or two on paper but looking at a gallons worth the color is kinda scary. As it was draining and the sun hits the flow of the old fluid, the color of green is still there and so generally it did not look too bad. No sludge and very little metal shavings found at the bottom of the drain pan. So I am glad I changed it for my peace of mind. Got the NS2 fluid from ebay. A six pack for $67 and another six pack for $75 shipped.

Next project spark plugs 25k from now....

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
With 80K I flushed my CVT fluid today. Jacked up the front and removed the clips of the plastic cover/guard to show the bottom of the radiator. Removed the CVT drain plug with 10mm hex. Then, I removed the driver side cooler hose line under the radiator. Left it dripping for several hours cooked 3 dishes and came back after dinner. I got about 7 quarts from the pan and another 1/2 quart from the cooler line. Cleaned and reinstalled the drain plug and refilled 7 quarts into the dipstick hole. Attached a different hose--I used an old shower hose line thats a perfect fit-- to the aluminum nipple of the cooler line and secured it with a hose clamp. Got the wifey to start the car 5 times/1 quart a time---Filling in new fluid each time. Reinstalled the cvt hose line back to the cooler nipple and secured it with the clamp. Turned on the ignition and checked the cvt fluid level. All is good. Just a little over the upper mark. Test drove and checked for leaks and fluid level again. All is good and reinstalled the plastic cover. Login the work.

You can see on the pix the color of the old cvt fluid. Did not look so bad if you take a drop or two on paper but looking at a gallons worth the color is kinda scary. As it was draining and the sun hits the flow of the old fluid, the color of green is still there and so generally it did not look too bad. No sludge and very little metal shavings found at the bottom of the drain pan. So I am glad I changed it for my peace of mind. Got the NS2 fluid from ebay. A six pack for $67 and another six pack for $75 shipped.

Next project spark plugs 25k from now....
I am not sure if my last post was saved since I may have accidently hit the enter key before I was done. Sorry. Your post was very helpful but I need some clarity on the part after you disconnected the cooler hose. Did you add 5 more quarts? Did you run it only long enough for 1 quart to empty out, then turned the engine off so you could add in 1 quart, then did that 5 more times? That would mean you added a total of 7 +5 = 12 quarts. The manual only says that the total capacity is about 10.5 quarts but I think that's using the continuous flush method without removing the drain plug and that wastes more fluid. Please clarify.

81 - 100 of 147 Posts