Nissan Murano Forum banner

141 - 144 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2009 Murano

There are 12 quarts of fluid in the CVT. A drain and fill is only 1/3 of that so I decided to do two about a week apart. That's about 50% new fluid. The old fluid was reddish brown.

After another year I did another drain and fill and replaced the external filter which is behind the drivers side fender liner.

I have now passed the 120,000 warranty period and have been advised by a Nissan tech, not dealership, to keep after the fluid changes. He also said the deterioration date analysis was not accurate.

Cheers, Kurt

·
Registered
76 Posts
So has anyone done this service on the third gen Murano using NS3 fluid? My car has 75k on it and I think a drain and fill would be good preventative maintenance

·
Registered
159 Posts
just did this today as per the pictures and instructions here.

bought 5qt (in Canada they sell them as Quarts too) from the dealer of Ns2 after debating about getting the Amsoil CVT. I only really had time. today and the dealer I went to yesterday gave me the bottles for $20/each.

got a new drain plug seal too.

So I warmed it up, leveled it out by jacking up the front slightly. bought a 10mm hex set (was on sale with like 20 pieces and sizes).

had to use a breaker bar to break the nut loose but once loose I could hand spin it off.

now here's the funny part, obviously there was some splash and spill while trying to catch it all but after draining pan into bottle and letting it drop until very slow drip (20min?) I reinstalled plug and washer.

it came out as exactly 5qt so I emptied every drop of the 5qts I bought in there.

fluid drained out red but when in back green. after finishing, lowered car, and started up. shifted gears up and down a few times then took it for a light then medium drive.

felt good, smoother. may look to do it again using the Amsoil later this summer and order the filter ahead of time as well.

I may have to top up a few drops but I'll ask dealer if they can give me an open bottle to top up with. otherwise letting it cool it measures weird. it's on the dots/etch lines but the word "hot" is way up the stick after the bends in the dip stick.

I assume it's good. I'll check it later tonight to see if it's too little and needs a top up.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Let me get you to speculate here.

1- Do you think, like most "auto" transmissions, there is a filter located in the pan area?
2- Do you think it is even possible to
a- remove the pan with the transmission in the car?
b- buy a new pan gasket?
3- Do you think the dealer, or some other shop, has the necessary equipment to totally flush the CVT?

What do you think?

Good job on the DIY instructions.

141 - 144 of 144 Posts