Nissan Murano Forum banner

141 - 147 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 2009 Murano

There are 12 quarts of fluid in the CVT. A drain and fill is only 1/3 of that so I decided to do two about a week apart. That's about 50% new fluid. The old fluid was reddish brown.

After another year I did another drain and fill and replaced the external filter which is behind the drivers side fender liner.

I have now passed the 120,000 warranty period and have been advised by a Nissan tech, not dealership, to keep after the fluid changes. He also said the deterioration date analysis was not accurate.

Cheers, Kurt

·
Registered
76 Posts
So has anyone done this service on the third gen Murano using NS3 fluid? My car has 75k on it and I think a drain and fill would be good preventative maintenance

·
Registered
159 Posts
just did this today as per the pictures and instructions here.

bought 5qt (in Canada they sell them as Quarts too) from the dealer of Ns2 after debating about getting the Amsoil CVT. I only really had time. today and the dealer I went to yesterday gave me the bottles for $20/each.

got a new drain plug seal too.

So I warmed it up, leveled it out by jacking up the front slightly. bought a 10mm hex set (was on sale with like 20 pieces and sizes).

had to use a breaker bar to break the nut loose but once loose I could hand spin it off.

now here's the funny part, obviously there was some splash and spill while trying to catch it all but after draining pan into bottle and letting it drop until very slow drip (20min?) I reinstalled plug and washer.

it came out as exactly 5qt so I emptied every drop of the 5qts I bought in there.

fluid drained out red but when in back green. after finishing, lowered car, and started up. shifted gears up and down a few times then took it for a light then medium drive.

felt good, smoother. may look to do it again using the Amsoil later this summer and order the filter ahead of time as well.

I may have to top up a few drops but I'll ask dealer if they can give me an open bottle to top up with. otherwise letting it cool it measures weird. it's on the dots/etch lines but the word "hot" is way up the stick after the bends in the dip stick.

I assume it's good. I'll check it later tonight to see if it's too little and needs a top up.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Let me get you to speculate here.

1- Do you think, like most "auto" transmissions, there is a filter located in the pan area?
2- Do you think it is even possible to
a- remove the pan with the transmission in the car?
b- buy a new pan gasket?
3- Do you think the dealer, or some other shop, has the necessary equipment to totally flush the CVT?

What do you think?

Good job on the DIY instructions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Changed the CVT fluid on my 2011 Murano SV with 51k miles over the weekend. Had the car since new and feels that it has lost some of its smooth and responsiveness after a few years. Wanted to see if replacing the CVT fluid would restore some of that new car feel! :laugh:

Had some trouble removing the locking CVT dipstick, but after re-examining photos posted, realized I was pressing on the wrong tab! Once it was removed, I checked the CVT fluid and it was quite low. After 10 minutes of driving and shift into all gears, the fluid was still a tad below the MIN mark! Damn, should’ve checked this sooner. The service manual said to only use lint-free paper to wipe the dipstick, so I did. On the paper it looks quite clear, with a hint of darkness around the edge of the mark.

Jacked up the car, took out my newly purchased 10mm HEX bit socket (always looking for excuse to buy new tools >:D), and carefully opened the drain bolt. The bolt was much larger in diameter than the oil pan bolt, and lots of dark fluid came gushing out. Although the fluid looked clear on paper, what came out looked pretty dark to me. About 4.3qt of fluid came out.

I filled with 4.5qt of Nissan NS-2 CVT fluid (clear water-like green color), the level is right around the low mark. With 5qt, it’s a tad below the hot mark after 10 minutes of driving, and I left it there.

Now we came to the most important part of the post. Did I notice a difference? Yes, ABSOLUTELY! The car feels quieter, lighter, and more responsive. On local stop/go traffic, the difference is not as obvious, but as soon as I started accelerating, the difference becomes quite clear. The car responds a lot faster, and accelerates a lot more effortlessly. Wow! While I can’t say it’s good as new, I feel I’ve definitely gotten back some of that new car feel!

So, is $110 (5 qt of CVT fluid) worth it? For me, that’s a definite yes. After all, I do these things not because I want to save money, but because I want the car to perform well. So if you are contemplating whether to replace your CVT fluid or not, and you can afford the cost, I’d say why not? You’ll prolong the life of the CVT, and likely gain some noticeable improvement in performance. Where else can you find such performance gain for $100 and simple work?

Anyway, here are some pictures:

CVT dipstick inserted 180 degree no locking:

10mm CVT drain bolt:

Almost done draining:

CVT drain plug (M??)
and oil pan drain plug (M12-1.25)

CVT rubber gasket, oil pan crush gasket:

Now, the real question is, should I do this again? After all, only 50% of the fluid is new. :D But at $100 a pop, I think I'll let the frugal side of me take over and ponder about this for a year or two.​
Did you replace the rubber o-ring on the plug? If so, do you recall the size of the o-ring? Thanks.

141 - 147 of 147 Posts