Nissan Murano Forum banner

21 - 40 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
You will only need 1 1/2 of that 12 oz bottle. You are not flushing the fluid just topping off what drained from the pressure line. Capacity is just a little over a quart--check you manual.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same problems here too..

I have a 2006 Murano and i am surprised to read how common these problems with the power steering equipment really is. Why isnt Nissan looking into some kind of recal since its not covered under the warranty or even by the extended warranty. I also have the broken driver seat bracket problem too which is not covered either. However i was lucky when my driver side door handle broke and my extended warranty covered it because if not i most likely would still be driving around without it to this day. I couldnt beleive my ears when they told me it would of cost $180 for the part plus labor, that much just for a peice of cheap plastic that looks like it is, priced like it was, but only wishes it actually was, really made out of chrome. What a joke...

·
Registered
4 Posts
2005 PS HP Hose Leak

My wife's car has this problem.
It's an 05 SL 2WD MO with 120K, nothing has ever been an issue except front tires.
Last payment made this past summer and wow....
1. Last oil change the guy tore open the passenger side CV boot with the filter wrench, and that caused all the grease to go bye bye. Found rebuild kits but that' too hard of a job to rebuild both sides. So I found two NEW drive shafts for $95 each replaced them myself.
2. That's when I found the bad PS leak.
3. Both front rotors warped beyond repair, installed new rotors all four wheels and pads all the way around.
This car has been a really good car just a lot went wrong all at once, but I am not complaining, not with the miles on her.
Came here and found the answer to the problem thanks for the great wright up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did this repair myself today , ordered hose from Ebay...$101 shipped , not to bad.
in process of this repair found a bad tie rod end, have had a clunk for a few months glad I found it...easy fix about $35 .
pics and info from other posts helped greatly

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this posting is late, but I agree with Nissan doing a re-call to improve this hose. You can see that a bracket or hose re-routed would be appropriate. The leak my wife experienced on her Murano after only 45 thousand miles is ridiculous. I know things wear down, but really, this was a winner for Nissan to do these hoses right where they did it. Nice and easy to charge folks as much labor as they do. Great post on the how to. I downloaded the service manual, but wow, I wish I would have read on here first. Thanks for posting it.

D

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had mine done last week, total cost $260. I purchased the hose on ebay for $100 shipped and paid $160 in labor to have it done.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I just replaced my leaky ps fluid hose on my 03
murano, kind of a messy project but I am happy
with the results.
saved myself about 800 bucks by replacing the
lower control arms as well, both bushings were cracked
and one of the ball joints was bad, my mo was making
an awful clunking noise due to bad lower control arms.
Thanks Mello your write up, it helped me alot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Noise after PS Line was replaced

Of all of you who replaced the hose, did anyone experience, noise when turning left and right? Rubbing noise? I also had the line replace, however, it makes this noise and is getting hard to turn now.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Of all of you who replaced the hose, did anyone experience, noise when turning left and right? Rubbing noise? I also had the line replace, however, it makes this noise and is getting hard to turn now.

My MO had no issue/noise prior to and after the hose replacement. It was just leaking. How about yours? Did you follow the directions to the letter? Possibly trapped air in the line--you need to flush it via the gear box--area where the hard tubing is connected.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, it was leaking, no noise, I believe they put the wrong hose on and it has air trapped in the line. I'm considering buying another hose, the correct one, and replacing it again. If so, I'll print this out and take it to the mechanic.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Yes, it was leaking, no noise, I believe they put the wrong hose on and it has air trapped in the line. I'm considering buying another hose, the correct one, and replacing it again. If so, I'll print this out and take it to the mechanic.
If you believe the problem is air trapped in the line, you do not need to remove the hose to purge the air.

The following procedure is excerpted from the Service Manual:

-njjoe

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I used oem parts and fluid so I don''t know how an aftermarket part would perform on this repair. But I would go with njjoe and flush the fluid first and see if that fixes the problem. If not, then you have to find out what pressure line part they put in there and if there is damage with the PS pump. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The instructions really don't explain how to change the fluid and will I see the bubbles in the reservoir where you pour it in? I'm a lady who is pretty good at fixing things with the proper instruction. Was trying to save some $$ & every time I do this I end up spending more. UGH! Also, can I get the correct fluid at Autozone?

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
The instructions really don't explain how to change the fluid and will I see the bubbles in the reservoir where you pour it in? I'm a lady who is pretty good at fixing things with the proper instruction. Was trying to save some $$ & every time I do this I end up spending more. UGH! Also, can I get the correct fluid at Autozone?
ts-

1) Yes, you are to look in the plastic reservoir for evidence of foam/bubbles.

2) Yes, Autozone is a good place to source the power steering fluid.

-njjoe

·
Registered
9 Posts
I went to the auto parts store and they tried to sell me transmission fluid, if this is correct please advise because, I'm pretty sure the guy who replaced the line, replace the fluid with PS fluid not transmission fluid. If they used the wrong fluid could this cause more damage? It's been almost 3 months ago and the rubbing sound continues and recently I started to smell something that could be getting hot.

·
Super Moderator
8,067 Posts
I went to the auto parts store and they tried to sell me transmission fluid, if this is correct please advise because, I'm pretty sure the guy who replaced the line, replace the fluid with PS fluid not transmission fluid. If they used the wrong fluid could this cause more damage? It's been almost 3 months ago and the rubbing sound continues and recently I started to smell something that could be getting hot.
You realize the info you need is in your owner's manual, right???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Duh Pilgrim! I'm just trying to get help. Yes, it says Nissan PSF. By the way you said that I guess I just don't get it. The mechanic put regular power steering fluid in the vehicle, but from reading this site, the Nissan PSF fluid is different. I want to change the fluid to see if that is what is causing the rubbing noise. When I tried to buy the new fluid, the auto store tried to sell me transmission fluid. I guess I'll go the dealer tomorrow and get my head taken off!

21 - 40 of 128 Posts