Nissan Murano Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Rear Hatch Handle

I have this problem as well and I wonder how wide spread this issue is. I have a 2004 with 66k miles that has always been garaged. I also have other rust issues that really seem excessive for the age, mileage and how this vehicle has been treated. Does anybody else feel this way?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Re: Rear Hatch Handle

Rayt said:
I have this problem as well and I wonder how wide spread this issue is. I have a 2004 with 66k miles that has always been garaged. I also have other rust issues that really seem excessive for the age, mileage and how this vehicle has been treated. Does anybody else feel this way?
I too have an 04, and mine currently has 78K miles. A few years ago when I saw that the rear hatch handle rusting was a potential problem, I started spraying mine periodically (every 6 months or so) with WD-40. So far so good.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
zebelkhan said:

From inside or the outside?
From the outside. I just stick the long spray nozzel (tube) into the latching mechanism and spray the you-know-what out of it. I keep a rag handy to soak up the excess WD-40 that invariably leaks out and (of course) coats the outside of the latch as well. I then remind my wife that, if she uses the rear hatch, be prepared for a little surplus lube when she touches the latch handle. In a few days, it's all gone however.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hatch door handle

Great project.... took 30 minutes and now I've got my hatch back in order. Thanks. I figured I would add some photots to assist...

Here was my old handle and then of course the new one.
I can't see your link to buy that handle. Can anyone help me on this. What is the part # or the exact name of it ?

Any good part website would help... from Canada would even be better, but it doesn't matter.

Thanks !

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The handle is still going great! I lost my luggage lights recently but I may just have to find the contact and clean it.

The part number is on my first post. I think I bought it at Courtesy Parts, I'm in Canada and didn't get hit at the border for it. Make sure it gets sent USPS. UPS has the huge fees at the border.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My rear hatch locks sometimes and won't open even if
I push unlock. Also, my rear doors sometimes don't
Unlock as well. Anyone have a clue what's going on

·
Registered
5 Posts
DIY replacement

This post helped a ton diagnosing and replacing my hatch handle on the MO I just bought. My handle looked similar to yours but more rust/junk on metal. Thank you for your awesome post!

KJ

·
Registered
40 Posts
The part number is on my first post. I think I bought it at Courtesy Parts, I'm in Canada and didn't get hit at the border for it. Make sure it gets sent USPS. UPS has the huge fees at the border.
I can't find that part number, can you give it again please. Also, any advice on where to buy it at good price in Canada ?

Thanks

·
Registered
115 Posts
Nice writeup! I bought an '04 SL a few weeks ago and had the sticky rear latch issue too. I pulled the handle out and tried everything to get the gunk and rust off... wire brush, frame wire, PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, Evapo-Rust, Dremel... nothing worked (though it did look cleaner). I was about to give up and order the part.

As a last resort I stood the handle assembly on it's side with one end of the hinge pin on the garage floor and tapped the other end of the pin with a hammer. Voila! Instant fix! Sprayed some silicone lubricant and it was good to go. Give this a try before ordering a new part!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Rebuilding rear hatch handle

We also encountered a failed rear hatch handle today. The spring was badly rusted and therefore lost most of its tension to spring back. The rest of the handle look fine. I repaired it by replacing the spring.

Here is what I did and some pictures:

1. Follow the instructions described above to remove the handle.
2. Remove the long pin, you can do this by undoing one of the pinched end so it can slide out, I used a table vise to do this.
3. I used a spring from a mouse trap. found to be a perfect fit and the correct tension.
4. Install the spring, the ends of the spring will hang out a bit, you will need to trim them off.
5. Re-pinch the pin's end with a table vise.
6. Apply some synthetic lubricant on the spring to prevent rust.
7. Reinstall, works like new again!

The took me about 30 minutes.

Hope this helps,
Holden

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Trunk handle

Wow! Just curious, would it be possible to replace the older model handles with the 2005 or newer which now have rubber electrical puh switch = no rust?
I have 2006 Murano with same rubber electrical push handle. Have you fixed your problem? Would it be same procedure to replace this as older version?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I have 2006 Murano with same rubber electrical push handle. Have you fixed your problem? Would it be same procedure to replace this as older version?
yes

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
About this Discussion
41 Replies
22 Participants
The DA
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing