Nissan Murano Forum banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I'm resurrecting this thread...not quite dead yet :D

I should have dug in this forum to find this thread. I just had the shield recall performed and boy am I pissed off! :3:

That damn plastic shield is a total eyesore!!! I'm goign to call back the dealership that did the work and ask them to install the quality metal ones. I don't think I can look at my MO the same with that "snow plow" like protector they put on.

Seriously, what kind of engineer would design such a crappy thing? I guess the plastic was cheaper than the metal one for a general recall.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Warhammer-

The metal shields have been superceded by the plastic ones. The dealers can not supply the metal shield.

However, you can buy the metal shield from ABC Nissan for $20.22 (including shipping). An excellent deal!! I bought them a year ago and the dealer put them on for no charge.

-njjoe

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Thanks Njjoe...as usual, you're prompt, reliable, and and full of wizdom. :6:

The dealership states that they must adhere by law to the instructions of the recall. If they don't they could get in big trouble. So no go on the dealership ordering the part I want and installing it.

The A7285-CC25A part number found earlier in the thread as still exists on the www.abcnissanwholesale.com website! The same part number also works on www.worldpartsexpress.com! :D

But...I have just one thing that needs to be clarified. If I place the order will I receive both the right and left shield at once? If so...wonderful!

Here's why:

The parts guys at the dealership took the time to look up the shield part numbers for the 06-07 MO. They want $120.54 for each individual one! The part numbers are 17285-CC21A for the right and 17285-CC22A for the left. Their part numbers line up with other websites like www.worldpartsexpress.com and www.abcnissanwholesale.com.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Warhammer said:
But...I have just one thing that needs to be clarified. If I place the order will I receive both the right and left shield at once? If so...wonderful!
I can only speak for ABC Nissan.

When I ordered the fuel tank shields through them the part was listed as "PROTECTOR FUEL". I sent an email requesting confirmation that they were the metal shields and recieved an acknowledgement from George Capito.

Their "PROTECTOR FUEL" consists of both the right and left sides.

And at only $15.23 per set (plus shipping), this is a real bargain. I can only imagine what Nissan was charging for the same shields.

-njjoe

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
EXCELLENT!!! Less than $30.00 is waaaaaaaay better than $240.

:claphead:

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
So I placed my order this morning for the fuel tank shields with www.worldpartsexpress.com. I called and confirmed that both shields would be included. The part was about a dollar cheaper than at www.abcnissanwholesale.com.

I think that I'm going to take that plastic snow plow the dealership installed and use it for target practice. I'll post a picture of it after I blow some serious holes through it! :D

:11:

Thanks again! This thread saved me quite a bit of money!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thanks for bringing back this thread! I had no idea there was an alternative to the ugly plastic snow plow. For those that have installed it has it rusted at all? I'm thinking I'll paint it black before I put it on just too keep the salt from eating through it.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I don't think it's necessary to coat it unless you want to. I might do it just to darken it up for cosmetic reasons.

The shields are made out of aluminum so there may be some corrosion but probably not that much. It really depends on where you are. My MO came from the east coast where rust and corrosion are pretty common. I looked under my MO and noticed the heat shields between the mufflers and the floor boards were getting a bit brittle.

It would probably benefit you in the long run.

Here is a picture of what it would look like with the coating. One of the members here did it.

http://www.nissanmurano.org/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=2868&papass=&sort=1&size=

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
BlackOut said:
So if I print this TSB, can I have a local dealer take care of this for free?
TSBs are not recalls. If you are under warranty, regardless if you have the TSB or not, they will repair it for free. If you are out of warranty, they will charge you for the repair. The TSB is just a set of updated instructions they follow to do the repair.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
But the fact that a TSB exists is indicative that Nissan knows there is a problem and has (ostensibly) come up with a solution that the TSB will address.

Even if your warranty has expired, knowledge of a TSB can help you `negotiate' a repair solution with your dealer.

I had a case with one of my Maximas many years ago (before such things as these forums existed) with an alarm system that was going off intermitently on its own. After much complaining on my part (the car was brand new), the dealer finally admitted that a TSB had been issued for that very problem, and fixed it.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
So they're in! Definitely look a lot better than those snow plow plastic jobs the dealer installed. Old ones off and new ones in under 15 minutes.

Now off to the firing range to "take care" of the plastic ones! I just cleaned my over/under 20 gauge and my 22 long rifle.

:11:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hey,

I cant seem to get ABC or WORLD PARTS to ship to Canada. Is it just me, or do I have to find a local parts store (Napa) to get it for me??

Thnx

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Might have to be done that way. Unless there is another forum member that lives close enough to you on the US side that wouldn't mind getting it for you and then shipping it to you. I would but I'm all the way in New Mexico. A bit too far south. :)

In regards to painting the shields...what would be the best product to use?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm in Nova Scotia and had no problem with ABC sending it. They sent it UPS which of course costs about $25 at the border.

As for painting it, I used undercoat paint. It has a thick rubber-like asphalt consistency that I think will hold up well.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Eric L. said:

TSBs are not recalls. If you are under warranty, regardless if you have the TSB or not, they will repair it for free. If you are out of warranty, they will charge you for the repair. The TSB is just a set of updated instructions they follow to do the repair.
So is this a TSB or a Voluntary Recall? The first post shows a Voluntary Recall from Nissan. Are they one and the same? I thought parts/labor for Voluntary Recalls, like Mandatory Recalls, are completed for free (like the current Intake Voluntary Recall). Please tell me I won't have to pay for either!
:32:

Thanks for the clarification,

Patrick

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
I think the TSB is referring to some other discussion. Fuel tank shields are installed under a recall and dealer will install them for free. However, they will install plastic ones.

·
Registered
108 Posts
NICE! I bought my Mo with the plastic ones on it, and never realized this was an added part. Totally horrific to look at. people always comment, they think something is falling down... I hit a raccoon while on the highway, and mine broke. now when I am on the highway, it rattles in the wind! annoying. I will be looking for these. And will spray - tar them before install.

Edit: does anyone have a side view of the car from a distance with the new metal shields? I veiwed kris`gallery and didnt see a good view. how many people just run without them?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
g1teg said:
NICE! I bought my Mo with the plastic ones on it, and never realized this was an added part. Totally horrific to look at. people always comment, they think something is falling down... I hit a raccoon while on the highway, and mine broke.

how many people just run without them?
You don't have to use any fuel tank shield at all - it's your choice. The recall is totally voluntary.

But if you're driving around on highways with raccoons on them, I'd say you NEED this shield - plastic or metal.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yeah I want to have the metal ones added, but am thinking of removing my current ones till I recieve them. It really is a pain to listen to!

Thats the only racoon ive ever hit, or animal at all for that matter, though they are abundant. Deer more likely than anything else and I dont think the plastic or metal one will help in that situation...

41 - 60 of 77 Posts