Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Enjoying the ride…
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Mo gang,

I have a little problem. I noticed when Mo is on the idle, the interior lights goes down (dimmed) every 5-7 min for about a second or so. Is this a sign of bad alternator??? Should I go to dealer and force them to change it? I am not sure what to do, because I had the same problem in my Maxima, but it was running fine for 4 years I owned it. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Put a voltmeter on the battery at idle, it should be at least 14 volts.
If it is, I wouldn't worry.
I had to come back and edit:
Why are you idling it that long?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Hmm...are you running the AC/Defrost. Sounds like AC compressor times. It would cause a similiar thing.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I was thinking the same thing.....but then I said, New York? I was thinking he wasn't using it there yet. Sure could have here today, but my windows were down and the wind was niiiize.

·
Enjoying the ride…
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Volmeter readings

I have a build in voltmeter in my Passport 8500. On the idle it shows 13.6-13.8, during the city driving (20-40 MPH) its 14.0-14.2, during highway driving (50-80 MPH) its 14.4. I have no defroster or AC running during those instances. And here is the short answer for the question why I am idling that long – traffic. Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Re: Volmeter readings

Murano_driver said:
I have a build in voltmeter in my Passport 8500. On the idle it shows 13.6-13.8, during the city driving (20-40 MPH) its 14.0-14.2, during highway driving (50-80 MPH) its 14.4. I have no defroster or AC running during those instances. And here is the short answer for the question why I am idling that long – traffic. Thanks

Hmmm I guess I should use my Passport 8500 to check voltages as well to see what I have.

·
Registered
85 Posts
my '03 did exactly the same thing and it was really annoying but i thought it was probably just normal for the mo but my '05 has not yet done it. :8:

·
Enjoying the ride…
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Viewmont,

For how long you had your 03 Mo? Did you replace the alternator or did you have any power related problems? Thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
i had it for just over a year and a half and the only thing i ever needed to fix was the driver's seat rattle. it is a great car and i had no problem letting my big brother have it. he will put tons of miles on it.

although i will say the reasons i wanted an '05 were selfish but minor things that he will not notice.

1: steering in the '03 was really stiff and the '05 has great steering.
2: i wanted pewter (or platinum) instead of silver.
3: i was hoping the dimming problem mentioned in this thread would be gone.
4: i missed the new car smell.
:cool:

re the dimming problem.... it kind of forced me to stop idling the car when my wife would go in the store but it really didn't bother me that much.

·
Enjoying the ride…
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. I think if my voltmeter reading are steady for every mod I should not be worry about it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The dimming thing happens on my 05 as well... I hardly ever notice it - but I did see it happen a few times.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
You should get about 13.6V at idle, higher than 14V while driving. I think the problem is, when the A/C kicks on, so do both of the electric cooling fans (the ones that blow on the rad), which seem to draw a LOT of power. That being said, my lights don't dim much when it happens.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Without going outside and looking under the hood to see if we have electric fans, it sounds like a radiator cooling fan is causing your flickering. I assume we have elect. fans.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
midnitexpress said:
Without going outside and looking under the hood to see if we have electric fans, it sounds like a radiator cooling fan is causing your flickering. I assume we have elect. fans.
We do have electric fans and the current draw causes the dimming.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
The dimming is normal... its just as others have said. A sudden load increase (i.e. AC or cooling fan) will do that.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Electric Fans.........Electric Fans! My fooking Electric Fan went out on me at ~3000 miles!:3:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts