Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are your rodars holding up??

I have loaded 05 MO with 6000 miles. Now when I step on the breaks the steering wheel shakes.Do I have bad rotors I will now have to go to the dealer.Does anybody have his issue?

The only other thing is the drivers seat creaking when stopping and starting.This has been a TSB on 03 04 but what about

:( :(

·
4,601 Posts
If your rotors aren't too worn, your dealer can machine them so they don't vibrate when you use the brakes.

Also, Nissan rotors often can be warped if the wheels aren't torqued to specification. Over torquing them puts undue stress on them and they warp. If you've had the wheels off recently, it could be due to the last person who put them back on.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have bad rotors??04 TSB apply to 05?

I have loaded 05 MO with 6000 miles. Now when I step on the breaks the steering wheel shakes.Do I have bad rotors I will now have to go to the dealer.Does anybody have his issue?

The only other thing is the drivers seat creaking when stopping and starting.This has been a TSB on 03 04 but what about

Thank you for any replys.
:( :(

·
5,244 Posts
I have 03 and the rotors had to be turned at 27k miles. Under warranty though. You definitely have a problem. It should be fixed under warranty.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I have 14k and feel juuuust a slight shimmy.

·
4,601 Posts
If the thread looks a little funny, it's because I've merged two on the same topic.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Warped rotors on low mileage Muranos may be the result of the ways the vehicle is test driven. My guess is that the salesman is telling test drivers to slam on the brakes to demonstrate the brake assist and ABS functions. Such hard braking on new rotors can often warp them, esp if the brake pads have not been properly bedded yet.

Warped rotors fall within the one year/12,000 mile adjustment period. Your dealer should take care of it. If outside of the period, its up to the dealer whether they will repair it under the standard bumper to bumper warranty, or screw you over and call it "normal wear."

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
I had the slight chimmy when I bought my Murano but I had noticed a bit of rust on the rotors so I decided not to turn them and give them time to be cleaned up by the pads. Sure enough, the chimmy was reduced and finally went away by about 5 or 6k miles. Since then I have been "chimmy free". I now have 18k miles.

I think I may have talked about this on another thread a long time ago but last weekend after I washed my MO, as I was cleaning the wheels I noticed a haze of rust on the rotors! I am sure the haze was not there when I started washing and went away after driving and applying the brakes a couple of times. These rotors rust really fast. has anyone else noticed this?....:3:

·
5,244 Posts
Yep, they do. It takes only a few minutes. I surprised me also.

PS. zebelkhan,
your previous avatar was much better. But it is your choice..........

·
Registered
25 Posts
Rotors on Unsold Murano....

When looking for our '05 Murano, I noticed rotors on some Brand New Muranos, with almost no miles on them, had grooves already on the entire rotor.. :confused: :eek: :confused:

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Re: Rotors on Unsold Murano....

L8Shift said:
When looking for our '05 Murano, I noticed rotors on some Brand New Muranos, with almost no miles on them, had grooves already on the entire rotor.. :confused: :eek: :confused:

Salesmen + brake assist = warped rotors. :D

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Originally posted by Kris PS. zebelkhan,
your previous avatar was much better. But it is your choice.......... [/B]
You got it...The cat is back...:)

Edit: Or did you mean Christina...:D

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
zebelkhan said:

Love your roving post count. Which one is it??? No one knows!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

·
5,244 Posts
zebelkhan said:

He he, you really want to know?.............

·
Registered
111 Posts
When I test drove my MO...they had to take the plastic off...in fact, I DIDN'T even test drive it...I drove to the lot, with the internet lease deal, told them if they could do that deal on the specific MO I found via the www.nissanusa.com site, that I'd drive it off the lot. About 45 minutes later, the paperwork was done, and I had to wait until later in the afternoon to come and pickup the prepped MO. I've got 2000 right now, and the rotors seem fine, no play in the driver's seat, and few creaks, rattles, and pops. I have noticed a louder "roar" in the engine on cold mornings...but given that normally you can't even hear the engine, its a neat "change" (makes me feel all "racey" and everything).

So far my 2005 has dodged ALL of the woes I've heard...maybe they got it right in 2005?

Regards,

Big

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have always had problems with warped rotors on every vehicule I have owned to date. Nothing seemed to hold up very well with my driving style. The MO is surprisingly not the case and the brakes are a smooth as silk even after 39,000 km. :D

·
Registered
118 Posts
Larry,

If you can, get them to replace the rotors or cut them on a standard brake lathe.

My '05 had the brake shudder from the first test drive. In addition the rear brake rotors appeared glazed and there was a groove starting to wear into them. The sales guys agreed to replace all 4 rotors as a condition of the sale. When I brought it in, the service department only re-surfaced the front. After I complained to everyone in the sales chain of command, they ordered 4 new rotors. Good thing. I had the re-cut rotors for over month and I could feel them grind every time I stepped on the brakes. They also made a shudder and grinding noise on first use on cold damp mornings. The process of re-surfacing the rotors ON THE VEHICLE leaves a very rough surface. It probably is quick and easy for the shop and might make up for imperfections in the hub, but I believe it causes these other problems.

JeffC

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
JeffC said:
Larry,

If you can, get them to replace the rotors or cut them on a standard brake lathe.

My '05 had the brake shudder from the first test drive. In addition the rear brake rotors appeared glazed and there was a groove starting to wear into them. The sales guys agreed to replace all 4 rotors as a condition of the sale. When I brought it in, the service department only re-surfaced the front. After I complained to everyone in the sales chain of command, they ordered 4 new rotors. Good thing. I had the re-cut rotors for over month and I could feel them grind every time I stepped on the brakes. They also made a shudder and grinding noise on first use on cold damp mornings. The process of re-surfacing the rotors ON THE VEHICLE leaves a very rough surface. It is quick and easy for the shop and might make up for imperfections in the hub, but I believe it causes these other problems.

JeffC

Strangely, Nissan recommends the use of an on car brake lathe, as opposed to one where the rotors are removed. I'm not sure why, maybe someone else here could shed some light on this.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Erik,

They told me that it eliminates any runout that might be due to the hub or related components. That is probably true, but the surface it left on mine was too rough and I'm sure it caused the groaning and grinding that I experienced. Maybe the shop was at fault, I haven't been too impressed with any of the techs that I have met at this dealership. Could be that they skipped a step like putting a finishing fine cut on the surface.

JeffC

1 - 20 of 25 Posts