Nissan Murano Forum banner

What is the price range you would expect to pay for a muffler-delete mid-pipe?

• Sub $200

Votes: 23 82.1%
  • $200-300

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $300-400

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • $400-500

• $500+

• I don't know, just start making them already damn it.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Sorry, not interested in making my Mo look that cool.

Votes: 3 10.7%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mech Michael from MWS Motorsports is pondering trying to productize a Murano mid-pipe replacements modeled on the system we built for my Mo. So we need a little marketing research here....would you be interested? What do you consider a reasonable dollar amount is to pay for one?

Note that as described my write up, this would be a complete system from flange to flange, from behind the Cat to just in front of the primary muffler. No cutting or welding or anthing unusual would be required for install, total DIY.

Not sure exactly what it'll be made out of, that depends on what price point seems to work best. Could normally bent mild steel, all the way up to mandrel bent stainless. Either way it definitly WON'T be the frankenstein mandrel bent one-small-chunk-at-a-time setup we did on my system though, that took almost a full day to make :p

·
5,244 Posts
Carl,

it looks great. I have been thinking about getting rid of the mid muffler for some time now. What keeps me from doing so is concern about the noise increase. But from your site I see there is no problem with that.

Just one question. You published 0 - 60 @ 6.905 sec. Do you trust you G-Tech? I have my doubt. When you look at the grapf you will see that at time 0 sec car is already moving ant a speed of 5 mph ot so. It seems to me that you need to add approximately 0.5 sec to your final time to get the real time. Or am I missing something?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The G-Tech calculates a true 1/4th mile track environment, and yes there is a slight delay before you trip the 'start' beam at the track.

Regardless, it's consistant in how it measures things, so the improvement is very clear.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I'd throw $150-$200 at it, mild steel of course. I would think that at that price ur bud could still make a nice profit. I wonder if a few coats of VHT paint would keep it from rusting too badly.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's certainly a very economical option.

However, you don't get as much ground clearance improvement in the mid-muffler area and around the rear suspension as with a full length custom pipe, you don't get as much performance improvement, and you don't get the easy reversability of a purely bolt-on solution.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
MightyMo said:
That's certainly a very economical option.

However, you don't get as much ground clearance improvement in the mid-muffler area and around the rear suspension as with a full length custom pipe, you don't get as much performance improvement, and you don't get the easy reversability of a purely bolt-on solution.
MightyMo-

Why do you say you "don't get as much performance improvement" when replacing the muffler with a straight pipe as compared to replacing the entire pipe as you propose? I don't see the logic.

-njjoe

·
5,244 Posts
You are right Carl. I like the idea of a fully swapable pipe. So how much it would be? Do you have an indication of the price? Remember, this item will be long so shipping charges will be a factor.

PS. I had a second look at your car, I like the side view more and more......:D

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You're right Kris, it would be way long to easily ship. My guess would be another pair of flanges would be added in the middle so it could be split in half.

As for performance, reducing the number and angle of bends, using a better tubing size (the stock system is big coming out of the cat and then abruptly necks down), and possibly mandrel bending instead of crimp bending.

Side shot from my caliper painting project is another good example of the missing mid-muffler, and also shows how my skid plates protect the fuel tank similar to Nissan's new sheilds: http://www.zfilms.org/temp/MoCaliperPaint/HPIM0836.JPG

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:D

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Fresh said:
is it possible to pass aircare if you remove the mid muffler.
Aircare? Is that a form of emissions inspection? If so, then your MO should still pass with flying colors. The muffler has no bearing whatsoever on the pollution content of the exhaust gas.

-njjoe

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would pay right around $200. I'm not trying to be cheap or anything, but the only materials being used are exhaust piping, and the flanges. The rest is purely labor and once there is a template made, the rest of them should not take a whole lot of it to make.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Fresh said:
is it possible to pass aircare if you remove the mid muffler.
Fresh, you must be from BC!

Air Care is our Government regulated Vehicle Emissions measurement Cash Cow.

Oh and I'd be willing to pay for a Stainless Version. Miled Steel would last about 2-3 years up here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts