Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the opportunity to borrow a 2003 2WD RWD Durango while in Dallas, for a month.
The car had new Uniroyal Tires and it had 50,000 miles on it.
I put 1500 miles on the truck. There was no extra weight in the truck.
It was pretty well equipped with Power everything, 4 speed auto and V8.

First of all, this SUV is a truck.
It is a body on frame construction.
It is paramount that this be kept in mind.

Mileage - the truck averaged 11-12 MPG driving around north Dallas (Suburban). I average about 17.5 MPG in the Murano in similar driving.

Ride- this is a truck. It rode like one.

Handling - This is a truck. One thing it COULD do, is turn better than a FWD curb-to-curb.

Transmission - This is a truck. The tranny seemed to be a "heavy Duty" version of Chryslers auto.
As such it shifted fairly abruptly.

Seats - Above average.

NVH - Lots of noise, vibration, and Harshness.

Summary - This is a truck. If you NEED superior load carrying and towing, this is a typical vehicle.
It would be a difficult transition for a Murano Driver.

Homer

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
My father owns one (I think a 2001 model). I hate it. Can't stand to drive it. Huge, bulky, seems to jump around the road too much. I borrowed my neighbor's Diesel Ford F-250, and it felt very similar.

BUT, my dad loves it. He pulls a HUGE trailer around all the time, and the Durango handles it no problem. Plus he can fit 7 people in there when he needs to.

He also has a small Subaru, though, which he prefers to drive around town.

You can't really compare the Durango and the Murano. They truly are different beasts. And I'm not just saying that because I'm biased. I mean they are truly different. It'd be like me comparing the Murano to the little Del Sol that I drove before. You can't compare a car-based small SUV with a huge truck-based SUV. Just because the dealerships call both "SUVs" doesn't mean that they are similar in any way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just replaced my 2001 Durango SLT+ with my 06 SL AWD Platinum MO. The Durango was a TRUCK, rode like one & guzzled gas like one. It did work well hauling people ang gear. I used it off roads for camping and backcountry canoe trips, and pulled a trailer. But the mpg and the maintenance started building and got rid of the trailer, and the MO entered the picture. It took only a few milliseconds (and a good deal) to move away from the Durango.

Absolutely no regrets!!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
tgl73 said:
It did work well hauling people ang gear.
This is good to know. We are taking one of these 600 miles on a golf trip. 4 of us with golf bags and enough other stuff to last a week.

Think the Durango can comfortably handle the load? How does the hauling capacity (using 4 passenger seating) compare to a Trailblazer?

(We had a trailblazer last year and we had plenty of room...)

·
Registered
358 Posts
If you are hauling that much stuff and four adults. Get your hands on a Honda Pilot if you can.
The Boss Lady and I visited my stepson in FL at Christmas. We hauled 5 adults and four sacks o' bats and had plenty of room to spare.

The Pilot (EX) would be the only replacemet I could think of for my MO.

·
4,601 Posts
Yeah, got a bud who has one and it rides like a truck... I don't care for it... The Murano rides like a car, which is what makes it so much fun to drive!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
UncaDanno said:
If you are hauling that much stuff and four adults. Get your hands on a Honda Pilot if you can.
Unfortunately, that's not an option. One of my golf chums owns the Durango. I would take the MO, but I am driving down and flying home. Once we unload the suitcases, we'll be fine.

I will have the opportunity to use a Pilot on a different trip though, my friend in California just bought one. His twosome drives into Vegas and meets us there for another golf outing.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Durango will handle 4 linebackers, golf bags and luggage with absolutely no problem.

As I said, it is a truck.
But it is a good one.
Brawny and spacious.

Homer

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would load up my camping gear, and that of 3 other scouts along with an assortment of gear for my Boy Scout Troop and still had room for 4 or 5 passengers, and then hooked a 14' box trailer on the back and head out for a week in the wilderness. I never intended my MO to be involved with that kind of hauling, and I'm glad that I have others who are now willing to hook up the trailer. So bottom line you 3 three golfing buddies should have no trouble with four golf bags and suitcases in the Durango. It's still a truck, but is got the room and comfort to handle the heavy stuff. I have no regrets traiding my Durango for the 06 SL AWD, best move I've made with a vehicle.

TL

06 SL AWD
Platinum, Black Leather
Touring Pkg
VDC, TCS, TPMS

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Durango a good truck

Put 1000 lbs of houseboat balast in it AND towed a trailer with a 18 ft boat up AZ87 over the pass It did it all, no sweat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts