Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was trying to find out something on nissan's web site today, and i went to nissan.com
of course the title caught my attention...nissan motor's lawsuit...
after reading the court cases at http://www.nissan.com/Digest/The_Story.php
i didn't know that my favorite car maker is one of those big corporations that likes to flex it's muscle against the smaller companies.
my first car was a datsun 200sx, so i do remember back in those datsun days...
does anyone know the true story behind this nissan.com lawsuit?

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
That is the true story. The link you posted is the true story behind Nissan the corporate giant versus Nissan the little guy. Personally I think it is shameful what Nissan (the behemoth) has done (and is still doing) to the little Nissan guy.

Several threads have been previously posted on this ongoing story. However, it is good to see it again. We should be reminded from time to time just how "friendly" the Nissan corporate people are.

-njjoe

·
Registered
25 Posts
As much as I hate frivolous lawsuits, I'm kind of torn here. I would think that Nissan Motors probably offered to purchase the name from him before filing suit.

When typing in nissan.com I expect to find information about Nissan cars.....not some little computer shop. He's holding onto the domain because he knows that folks will go to that name looking for Nissan Motors and see his business instead, thereby creating more traffic for himself off of users looking for an unrelated business.

I'd bet that he could have easily sold the domain for good money to Nissan Motors back when this whole thing started and have walked away with some cash and a new domain better pertaining to his business.

Just the opinion of someone who HATES finding false positives on the web.

·
Registered
113 Posts
As much as I hate frivolous lawsuits, I'm kind of torn here. I would think that Nissan Motors probably offered to purchase the name from him before filing suit.
So? He registered it first, has a legal claim to the Nissan mark in his industry, and does business using it. Also, don't assume they offered him a large sum of money. If they did, then it is still his prerogative to decide if he wants it or not.

Just because Nissan is a big business and is well known does not mean they have the right to take something from the little guy.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
762x51 said:
When typing in nissan.com I expect to find information about Nissan cars.....not some little computer shop. He's holding onto the domain because he knows that folks will go to that name looking for Nissan Motors and see his business instead, thereby creating more traffic for himself off of users looking for an unrelated business.

I'd bet that he could have easily sold the domain for good money to Nissan Motors back when this whole thing started and have walked away with some cash and a new domain better pertaining to his business.
Did you read the whole story? This is not a case of "cyber-squatting".

I doubt very much that Mr. Nissan is holding on to the Nissan.com website because he believes it will get him more business. When someone is car shopping or looking for info on Nissan vehicles I don't think they are going to stop what they are doing and browse his website for computers. He is a small "Mom and Pop" shop in North Carolina. There are no bargains to be found on that website.

I think what he is doing is admirable. He had his website up and running for 5 years before Nissan (the car-maker) even approached him.

Sure, I bet Mr. Nissan could have sold the rights to nissan.com for a huge sum and avoided all of these headaches. Obviously this man is very proud of his name and did not want to sell. I figure he is a man of principle who believed doing what he felt to be right was more important than selling-out.

Chalk up a win to the "little guy". :claphead:

-njjoe

·
Registered
29 Posts
bkburns said:

Also, don't assume they offered him a large sum of money.

I agree. I worked for a rather large corporation who wanted a domain someone else owned. They offered them $5k for the domain name....not exactly big bucks coming from a large corporation.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have known this problem for long time... Once I wrote Mr. Nissan an email and told him I support him 100%. He wrote me back a nice email too.... Nissan is his last name but Nissan auto is not man's last name, it is more like a Japanese acronym for Japan Industry. Let Mr. Nissan keep his last name on the WEB...

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
I am inspired Go Little Mr. nissan

I'll email him support.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Well...even in war the Japanese have been known to be quite brutal. I work with two Japanese companies in the aerospace industry and they're quite difficult to work with sometimes.

It's not uncommon to see big companies try to sue for name rights. There was an individual in Scottland with the last name of McDonald. His family name extended back generations and was considered the oldest and original McDonald blood line. I remember from the fast food restaurant documentary that McDonalds (yes the cheap burger company) tried to sue this guy for rights to his name. They lost of course.

Makes me wonder what goes through the minds of the rich sometimes. I actually find their food quite gross!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts