Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boy am I glad I found this forum. I am a new Murano owner and have been doing research on how to get a line in to the stereo for my iPod rather than use a crappy cassette or FM transmitter. Obviously the answer is one of the PAC units. My questions are:

1) Will installing one void the warranty?

2) Would a Nissan dealer install one?

Thanks!

Marcus

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Answers...

1) Will installing one void the warranty?
> I dont think so.
Worst, what you can do is take it out before you bring ur murano to claim for a warranty work on your electrical/sound system.

2) Would a Nissan dealer install one?
> Off course they will provide you the labor and you bring in thr PAC audio yourself including the instructions on how to do it. No doubt, dealer will charge you lots of $$$. They quoted me $135 to replace the $30 in cabin microfilter.
Installing the PAc is a bit more involve than changing the microfilter.

PAC audio interface is not a nissan official accesories. It is aftermarket audio product. A well established audio shop will know what it is and install it for you for a less $$$.

Or you can install it urself. ;)

Good luck.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Shouldn't put this here but can't resist. Grippee went into the MB dealer to get the oil changed and they showed her the bad driver side wiper blade. $12. So she says OK the bill showed $12 for the blade PLUS $15 for installation. lets see, that should be about $450 per hour for labor.

·
Registered
103 Posts
$135 to change the microfilter?!?!!!

I've changed mine 3 times on my Sentra. It LITERALLY takes me 3 minutes to do.

Is it behind the glovebox like it is on my Sentra?

Warranty work is one thing, but I NEVER EVER let Nissan do anything else to my cars....never.

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Jpalm, yes $135 for microfilter labor replacement...

I need to take off the glove box, (several screws, nuts and bolts) in order to access the micro filter container. Then take out the old microfilter, put in the new one and put the glove box back. Dealer says it will take them around one hr + to do. So, at $75 - $100+ per hr tax inclusive, the quoated price sounds like it.

Bottom line, it is an expensive venture to have ur dealer install the pac audio interface.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Re: Jpalm, yes $135 for microfilter labor replacement...

SugarRushMurano said:
I need to take off the glove box, (several screws, nuts and bolts) in order to access the micro filter container. Then take out the old microfilter, put in the new one and put the glove box back. Dealer says it will take them around one hr + to do. So, at $75 - $100+ per hr tax inclusive, the quoated price sounds like it.

Bottom line, it is an expensive venture to have ur dealer install the pac audio interface.
If you pay them that then you should kick yourself. Removing the glovebox is a pretty simple thing to do, at least on my Sentra it was. I'll take a look at the MO's tonight, I wouldn't think it would be any different. Like I said, maybe a 3-5 minute job.

If you want to check yourself, then just pull the glovebox as low as it goes (past the normal opening point). Then there are some plastic pin-type holders in the bottom corners, pull both in. Then pull down on the glove box and it should come right out.....again, this is on my Sentra though.

Just found this after my post:
http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthr...0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#Post67899333

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
I would imagine that installing a PAC *might* void the warranty on the audio head unit, and by a stretch of the imagination, perhaps any related electrical accessories.

However, this is extremely unlikely and I would not worry about it.

·
4,994 Posts
I guess you could get an "offical" opinion by calling NNA or ask a service manager at a delearship or remove it before taking it in if you have a problem.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I talked to Nissan because I was told by dealer,an after market alarm would void my warranty if not installed thru dealer.
Nissan said anything installed that is not Nissan would void the
warranty on directly related items if caused by installed device.

·
4,994 Posts
That's great that phrase, "IF CAUSED BY INSTALLED DEVICE" what more could you ask for.

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
From the sounds of it...

Nissan said anything installed that is not Nissan would void the warranty
Deducing from the way dealer handle our problems and how nissan not "recalling" the alternator failures, then for sure any faults in the car will be blamed on that installed device, regardless. :p

·
4,994 Posts
Sugar that is not a very positive outlook.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
What's a PAC Audio Adapter?

And where can I get one? I've also got an Ipod and I would love to have something hardwired into the stereo. The FM transmitter is nice, but it's too inconsistent.

·
4,994 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Very interesting

Gripper - thanks for the post.

I read that you attach this onto the back of the radio - and then how do you connect the Ipod? Do you need to use the dock that it comes with - or can you go straight from the headphone jack into the PAC?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a tin ear, so anything I say should be taken with a grain of salt.

The PAC is going to give you two sets of RCA plugs to get a signal into your head unit. One set of plugs is selectable off of Preset A (the radio will show Sirius Channel 100) and the second set of plugs is off of Preset B (the radio will show Sirius Preset B).

As others have said here before, all you really need is a simple mini-stereo to RCA cable to plug from the headphone jack on the iPod into one of the inputs on the PAC.

I had it set up that way for about a week. The sound quality is good: far superior to an FM transmitter, like the iTrip; significantly better than an FM Transceiver; and nominally better than a casette adaper.

Taking it one step further, you can modify a Belkin docking cable (or similar) to connect to the bottom of the iPod and solder on two RCA connectors to get line level input into the PAC. Check iPodLounge, some guy posted detailed directions on how to do this, complete with photos, over there. I considered this, but wimped out and went the IceLink route.

I feel I can hear a qualitative difference between the signal coming out of the docking port over the signal coming out of the headphone jack. It may be all my imagination, but the signal separation seems more pronounced, the tweeters seem to be crisper, and the overall quality of the line level output vs. the headphone output seems better.

FWIW, your mileage may vary.

·
4,994 Posts
Wither way. I used a Belkin unit that combined a holder, charger and used the audio from the dock output. I only connected because the 04 and later has the sat line to the rear and at the time I did not want to open up the radio to make connections. JAAK helped me with the connections. See his web page for good info.

I by-passed the amp that comes with the Belkin unit so that I would have one less item in the audio chain. I was happy with the sound, quite good and the best of everything I tried including FM mod and tape adapter. My Holder I made and is shown in the gallery. It placed it right at hand and worked with the Belkin Holder.

If you want to you can connect the PAC unit right behind the radio and have shorter leads to it.

·
The Member
104 Posts
PAC

PAC goes for $80 shipped on ebay.

·
4,994 Posts
GOOD PRICE and find. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts