Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read an article on Businessweek this week about how Nissan's J.D. Power & Associates' quality survey fell from 6th place last year to 11th place this year. This article also mentioned Nissan is using cheaper materials at the expense of manufacturing precision. Maybe that would explains all the rattles and squeaks.

Luckily, I only had one problem so far got fixed in a day. Had it since December 2003.

I hope Nissan is taking notes and starts focusing on their quality issues.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_20/b3883053.htm

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thanks for the tipoff on this article Furby!

In defense of the MO owners here, I would like to point out that the article seems to state that the problems associated with Armadas, Quests, and Titans may be responsible for the downgrade...

"Quality problems with the Armada, the Quest minivan, and the Titan full-size pickup dragged down Nissan's ranking in J.D. Power & Associates' annual initial quality survey, which reflects flaws found by owners in the first 90 days. In the survey, which was released on Apr. 28, Nissan finished 11th, way down from last year's 6th place. "

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
90 days? that's it?

doesn't seem to be a very realistic time frame. for assembly quality, yes. for component/material quality, no way.

(pda post..)

·
5,244 Posts
you are right, the survey is about "initial quality". In most cases it would mean assembly quality. Materials quality cannot be check within the initial 90 days.

I read last year that Hummer suffered from owners complains about fuel efficiency! Who with the right mind buys a Hummer for fuel efficiency...........

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Kris said:
I read last year that Hummer suffered from owners complains about fuel efficiency! Who with the right mind buys a Hummer for fuel efficiency...........
"But it's not what they promised! They said I would get 3 gallons per mile, but it really takes 5 gallons per mile! And the gas prices are increasing! Who could have immagined that??????"

Stupid whining maggots...

~ Corin

·
Registered
438 Posts
LOL. The survey is just a bunch of check boxes... meeting expectations are not part of the analysis. So you rate 'problem' areas and of course cars with crappy mileage are going to get low marks for... well, gas mileage.

My S2000 consistently gets low ratings for cargo capacity. I doubt any of those taking the survey were planning on hauling lumber with it :D

Anyway, initial quality is assembly and dealer prep. What we really care about is long term reliability, right? And in that regard Nissan is still doing OK.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes, from what I read on the altima forum...most complain about the interior quality (cheap plastics). That is why they refined the 05. So ya, it's possible.

But the engine is rock solid and most people buy for that reason alone as well as a more aggresive look to them unlike the boring hondas and toyotas.

It's all what you want in the end. Yes, honda is more refined, but boring. Your pick. I picked an altima and a MO. I'm happy with my purchases...I new what to expect from my research.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Nissan / Infinity has introduced a lot of brand new product lately... maybe thats why the initial quality ratings are down????

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Nicole, I own a 3.5-Altima and 2004- Murano. Maybe we are soul mates. Nah, I just checked with my wife and she said we are not!

As far as quality. The rock solid Altima convinced me to go for a MO since alot of the underpinnings were the same. The Alti and the MO seem to have been a good choice for me and I may be adding a third Nissan in the near future.

JD Power... survey says... your wrong.

Bob1

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still happy with my purchase

I posted the link mostly for interesting reading. I personally really like my car. When I first started shopping, I had my heart set on the X3 but couldn't see paying the $40+K. My previous car was the 330i. I was worried an SUV will not be able to take my driving style. That was until I test drove the Murano. Loved it and bought it the same night. After driving my Murano for a few months, I got one of those incentive postcard to test drive the X3. I went back to the BMW dealer to do the test drive and I was disappointed. The interior is not as nice as the Murano. Every feature is an option. The handling is like a BMW but the Murano handles very well too. After driving a CVT, I really notice the gear change in other cars. I drive up a curvy hill everyday to go home and I just love the drive. Everyone who has ridden in my Murano thought it's a great vehicle. I only had one problem so far. I had a problem with the popping sound with my steering wheel. The service department couldn't figure it out. Thanks to this forum, I pointed them to the TBS. They didn't think it was the problem since my VIN number is not listed in the TBS and it's a 2004 model. I insisted that they check and sure enough, the left bolt was at 90ft lbs. It has to be at 115ft lbs. Once that was done, my Murano is happy again. The service guy was very nice. Even though he was with another customer when I picked up my car, he excused himself briefly to explain the repairs. Great guy. I'm very happy with my purchase. BTW: The car before the 330i was a 1987 Nissan Stanza with over 165,000 miles. The car was still running great when I sold it to a college student in 2000.

·
Registered
147 Posts
There is one thing no one has taken into consideration.

There are only three models that are affecting Nissan's JD Powers ratings. All three of these vehicles are built at the same new assembly plant in Canton, Mississippi.

Now, I'm not going to disparage the boys in Mississippi.....yet, but it is a new plant and had a pretty fast ramp up IMO. That doesn't excuse the poor quality, but it certainly does explain it.

Some of you might remember that Mercedes quality ratings took a big hit when they first starting building SUVs and cars out of Alabama. However, a few years later their ratings recovered as the Alabama plant started putting out quality vehicles. I'm willing to bet that Nissan is going to be addressing the issues in Mississippi rather quickly.

As for the MO, none of this affects it. The MO is built in Japan.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Ah, another one.

Well, hell if it was built in Japan, then there is no way Fuji could have forgotten to bolt the (*^*&%^$^ steering rack down! Right?
And even IF Fuji-san forgot, the thumping and clumping and changing of alignment would have been caught by the Japan QC process of course. Superior QC process I should say.

Nissan finished 16th because that is where their owners think they belong.
As to the Quest, my one buddy has Gas mileage concerns (14.2 MPG in suburbia I am getting 16.5), but has had less problems than I have had with my Murano. And I have had less trouble with my Murano (5 failures and 3 trips back to dealer in 6 months) than some around here.

No, there will be no running and hiding behind shoddy American workmanship on this issue.
The Murano has some workmanship problems and that is an established fact.
That by itself,is not a terrible thing.
It would be terrible if they did nothing about it........again.(The 04s have the same loose Steering rack as the S)

Other issues are laying in wait out there, too.
The IQ is just that.
A very small view of Q.
I think we can all agree that another look at the 1 yr and maybe again at the 3 yr marks will be instructive.
Problems we all know that we are candidates for, are;
Rattles that can't be found/fixed
CD players that malfunction (I'm already "tracking" this one)
Bad alternators.
I won't mention the much more severe "CVT Replaced"as this seems to be a very low incidence. Of course if it is your CVT..........
But still, the CVT seems to me, is more reliable than any other transmission that I have heard of and MILES ahead of the auto tranny on the Honda Odyssey, for instance.

Maybe, the integrity of the car will actually shine on the longer surveys.
Then again, maybe not.
Obviously we all want it to be so, but that won't help when you get a survey in the mail and you have just replaced your second alternator after having been stranded in the Fl Keys for 4 days.............

Does Nissan have a Q problem?

Yes.
If, like me, you thought they were just about as good as Honda and Toyota.

Homer

·
Registered
747 Posts
Quality

I agree with Homer, The quality issues with our vehicles have nothing to do with where they are built. Ghosn can cut corners just as good as Lutz or Ford. The Manufacturers want profits at all costs. If quality is the cost, well then so be it. So long as the vehicles keep flying off the Lots they figure they'll deal with it later, or maybe not if they get lucky. By the number of posts in the Door Rattle thread, I think they're getting lucky . More people would rather take it upon themselves to tear the door apart than drop the Mo off at the dealer and worry what they are going to get back when they pick it up. That means Nissan is not having to pay for the Dealers Service parts and time. I am one of those people who has requested service for the rattles and not gone back to have it done. I am concerned about the way they are going to put my vehicle back together. Maybe they'll do it right or maybe they'll screw it up worse.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
On the dealer service quality issue:

I think maybe the guys doing the service would be the place to start.
As I have been in the hardware service side of mainframe and PC networking for 25 plus years I think I may have some input as to why service suffers almost anywhere these days.
How are the guys who actually have the gift of deductible reasoning and attention to detail being rewarded for this gift at the dealerships?
My guess is that it is the same as everywhere. Not only do the owners of the dealerships not value a person back in the grease and heat and noise for their dedication to understanding yet another vehicle, but they also have no concept of what it means to be gifted with deductible or abstract reasoning and the attention to detail in the reassembly. I imagine it is a good ole boy thing to who makes what back there in the trenches. As long as the talent is not rewarded, the quality will suffer.

Maybe we can help with our few times we do see an outstanding job done at not only diagnosing the problem but fixing it and assembling the thing back together with care and attention that we ASK who did the work and recognize the individual with the owner of the dealership. You would be shocked at how well your next problem would be handled.

Repairman-ship quality is a gift, you don't learn it. See? There isn't even a word for it. Remember the essential car fixer Goober? He could fix anything perfectly but was boarder line retarded on that show. Hence the mass's view of these guys, completely inverse to the truth.

Yes, I have met some pretty talent-less individuals in both mechanics and field engineering, their quality sucked and they usually didn't give a rats ass about what you got, just so long as it was out of their faces. I have spent more time rolling my eyes at engineers and mechanics than congratulating them on a job well done.
The reason they keep going? No individual accountability.
The reason you don't see more talent? Compensation.
Owners and management of businesses do not understand talent. We must make them aware of it. At the same time we must hold crappy mechanics and engineers accountable for their work, individually.

OK, off my soap box now.
:D

·
Registered
62 Posts
senza said:
Nissan / Infinity has introduced a lot of brand new product lately... maybe thats why the initial quality ratings are down????
Everyone should also be aware that over the years the J.D. Power Initial Quality survey has changed in content. There are many categories in the survey that now include design aspects of the vehicle (Fuel economy as an example or the positioning of the cup holders) These items have little to do with the actual "quality" of the vehicle but can bring the rating down drastically regardless. So while the survey is a good general overview of where manufacturers rank it is not the be all and end all of rankings.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
what is?

Homer

One thing for sure, unlesss there is irrefutable proof, all the makes play by the same rules.

But what is a better rating system?
To measure what?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts