Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I took my '03 to the dealer for the 30,000 mile service. In the late afternoon the service advisor called to say he was keeping my car over night and asked if he could keep it until about noon today. I asked what the problem is, and he said that he could not verify with Nissan that the alternator recall had been performed on my vehicle. When I dropped off my Mo, I had mentioned to him that my alternator was changed just before the recall at the other location owned by the same dealership, so I told him I could fax him the work order from the replacement. He said that he had a record of that service in his computer but had to look at alternator in the car and verify with Nissan, and that it would take about 4 hours to accomplish that.

Does this sound strange?

Do you think:

A. They are replacing my alternator again?

B. They are performing a hidden warrenty proceedure?

C. They are actually doing what they say they are?

D. Something else?

If I could I would drop by the dealership this am to see what they are doing, but I have a commitment I can't delay.

I would appreciate your opinions. :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Sounds like they are putting you in the queue, that's all.
I don't know about that dealer, but mine is always swamped.

and then again....

They could be replacing it and just not telling you up front.

"Ohhh yes, we found that indeed it needed to be replaced so we did."

·
Registered
781 Posts
I'd say either the first dealer said they did the replacement and didn't - or the second dealer wants to say they replaced it and really won't.

Dunno.

Seems weird.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Seems to me they are just being thorough with their inspection. If they want to replace something for free, I wouldn't stop them! With the exception of recalls or TSBs, a "warranty repair" is an oxymoron at a Nissan dealerships. :p

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The service advisor just called. He said they had to pull the alternator to check the serial number on the alternator presently in the car. He said the new alternator in the vehicle is ok. Shouldn't they have recorded the serial # when they put the new one in instead of taking the time and labor to go in and read the serial #, not to mention taking my car apart a second time.

It still sounds strange to me.

Actually on reflection, my alternator was replaced just days before the recall. So maybe after the recall was issued, they did record the serial #'s as they were replaced.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I would be surprised if they maintained a database with serial numbers.... I would think just going by the part number would be enough.

At least they are doing what appears to be the right thing... either that or the service manager wanted to drive your car home last night to impress the babes..... naw......:cool:

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Something is definately fishy.

Your dealer's Service Department should have a record of all work that they previously performed on your vehicle. The record would include services performed and parts used. This data is kept on file for at least a year.

All the Service Adviser had to do was contact his counterpart at the other location and check the work order history. The work order would have indicated the part number and serial number of the alternator that was used in the repair.

Unless you've got a great group of mechanics, I don't like the idea of those guys taking things apart under the hood. And I especially don't like the idea of them taking something apart when there was no need in the first place.

-njjoe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts