Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the things I have noticed with my new 06 Murano is that if I am in a turn and I hit a small bump the Murano skips a bit. Is this something that is common? I nver had that happen on my previous vehicles.

·
42 Posts
My Murano (2003 AWD SL) does that (changing PSI does not help much). I've always believed it was something to do with the suspension design. Could be an alignment issue as well. I haven't got its alignment checked forever...maybe I should.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Mine too

But then I shortened it's jump rope and that cured things. :2:

Sorry I just could not resist.

·
Registered
12,511 Posts
phoneboy6 said:
One of the things I have noticed with my new 06 Murano is that if I am in a turn and I hit a small bump the Murano skips a bit. Is this something that is common? I nver had that happen on my previous vehicles.
How much is a "bit"?

My first car was a 1970 MG Midget with the old-style lever-arm shock absorbers. On the way home from work there was a 50 MPH reverse-camber, sweeping turn with a nasty expansion joint midway into the turn. I used to be able to get that car to "skip" halfway into the next lane if I hit it around 70 MPH. The first time was scary. The next 50 times was a blast. Looking back now... each and every time was stupid.

I have never experienced that kind of handling in the MO. (Thank God!)

-njjoe

·
Registered
3 Posts
When yours skips does it make a noise? Occasionally, I hear a sound like vibrating cell phone coming from the gear shift area between the driver and passenger. It's not very loud and doesn't last but a second or two. Most of the time it happens while I am in a turn. Should I be concerned? Is this "skipping"? My Murano is a 2004.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Every vehicle I've had with a relatively sporty suspension design has acted in this manner. Like Joe, I too in my younger days have given in to having fun with it if I knew it was going to do it.

As far as weird tranny noises when it skips, might that be something the VDC is trying to do to maintain stability?

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
RoxSQ said:
When yours skips does it make a noise? Occasionally, I hear a sound like vibrating cell phone coming from the gear shift area between the driver and passenger. It's not very loud and doesn't last but a second or two. Most of the time it happens while I am in a turn. Should I be concerned? Is this "skipping"? My Murano is a 2004.
If you can reproduce the sound, show it to the technician at the dealership and they can definitively identify the source.

You know the VDC is operating if the SLIP light blinks.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Eric L. said:
You know the VDC is operating if the SLIP light blinks.
But I find if I'm getting the VDC to kick in, my attention is definately needed on the road, not the dash :)

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
Tyler_Canada said:

But I find if I'm getting the VDC to kick in, my attention is definately needed on the road, not the dash :)
The light actually keeps blinking for a few seconds after you finish the emergency maneuver.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
LOL, I've almost never been able to see it blink even when I know it's working. :)

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
RoxSQ said:
Possibly but I don't know.

Yes tires and suspensions can affect the amount of slide or "skip" and its relative to what you are used to. Lateral friction is what keeps your vehicle planted on track while in a turn. If one or all tire(s) bounces it reduces the contact pressure and resultant friction allowing the vehicle to skip. The suspension and tires can help reduce the amount and time of contact pressure loss. But I have not noticed the MO being worse then other comparable vehicles in losing contact patch while hitting a bump in a turn. I've had this happen on every vehicle I've ever owned.

I have had VDC come on many times and have watched the slip light on both my 03 MO and Z. I tested it in an empty parking lot a while back. But I do not recall a vibration from the gear shift area. I guess it could happen if VDC detected a slip and a grab and a slip and was kicking in and out or modulating brakes or engine throttle repeatedly. Maybe I just didn't notice it or don't remember it? :confused:

It's also possible this vibration could happen on MOs without VDC. I guess if the tires were grabbing and slipping and grabbing it could result in a vibration. But I would expect the whole car to vibrate not just the gear shift area. Maybe the gear shift area amplifies it somehow I just don't know.

Unless others have noticed this vibration it may be something to look at. If this vibration is reproducible I would suggest having the dealer look at it.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I have this double left turn lane scenario at the end of the ramp where I exit the freeway on my way home each day. The right most of the left turn lanes has a hump with a 2" drop after it. If I am in that lane, I drive way slow due to the skip. Every car/truck I have owned did the same thing in the same place. Also, it is never nice to shock load your gear train over a skip.

I had a camero that I put 1000lb helper leafs on to keep it from squatting on launches--talk about skipping! The harder your suspension, the worse it gets.

I imagine a 76 caddy (can you say tank?) would skip way less, but would be a boat in turns.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts