Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do not use Herb Gordon's autobody - a dealership in Silver Spring MD - for autobody repair - same dealer I bought my MO from - which I've been happy with in other regards. I was rear-ended several months ago and finally got around to having the rear bumper cover replaced and repainted. After getting it back the first time they had put the paint on so heavy it had dripped - kind of like a wave - on the 2 corners - and then the sealant dripped and had drops on it - and the gap between the cover and the hatch/trunk was uneven. I took it back and complained and they redid it. This time the paint looks great but there are like 2 dimples - outward dimples - as though they tried pushing the bumper cover on against a bolt head. I didn't notice it at first until I brought it home and studied it. A typical person wouldn't notice sitting behind me at a traffic light but I do since it's my MO. And they kept it in the shop a week for both efforts. Tired of dealing with it. They do body work for Mercedes, Volvo, Nissan, couple of others so I thought for sure - even being a dealership - they'd do better. Of course a number of people have told me to take it back again (my wife says I'm making a big deal out of nothing) but to me, I don't want to take it back to a place that can't get it right - it's like asking a plumber to come back and fix something they didn't do right at your house - if they couldn't get it right to begin with they probably can't now. :3:

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
MichaelMurano said:
...my wife says I'm making a big deal out of nothing...
I am with you on this but unless you went through the insurance company, you are stuck with that body shop until they get it right. I hope they pay for your rental at least....

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
insurance company

I did go through an insurance company - mine - Nationwide - even though the accident wasn't my fault, past experience has shown me that going through the at-fault's insurance company can be a hassle - easier to me to pay the deductible and get reimbursed. Because I went through Nationwide do you think this gives me the ability to go to another shop?

No, I didn't get a rental. Nationwide would only pay for 2 days rental which IMO isn't enough time to get the job done unless the job were really really minor. Sooo, for a Monday morning appointment - my wife and I work too far apart for her to drop me off Monday morning - drove 30 miles one way in the MO and our third car (rag) Sunday night - left the rag - and I drove the MO in Monday morning and drove away in the rag. Similar thing to pick it up and then of course do it all again when I put it in a second time.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
I don't know about Nationwide but I have AAA which gurantees the work and will let you switch shops if you have to. You also get a rental for the duration, as long as it does not exceed 30 days per incident. I used 2x30 days because my wife totalled two cars in less than a year! Of course we are now paying back in higher premiums.....:3:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

Just curious about the insurance claim.... Wouldn't Nationwide go after the at-fault guy's insurance to recoup the repair costs? and also reimburse you for the deductible (once they're paid)?

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
mozman said:
Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

Just curious about the insurance claim.... Wouldn't Nationwide go after the at-fault guy's insurance to recoup the repair costs? and also reimburse you for the deductible (once they're paid)?
And they should collect for the rental as well...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes

Yes, Nationwide has already started going after the at-fault party and has reimbursed me for medical expenses. I will get the deductible back for the repairs for sure. As far as the rental goes, Nationwide decides what they think is a reasonable time to get the particular repair done - in this case they thought 2 days - up to $25 per day - anything longer and I'd have to pay out of pocket. I figured it was more of a hassle returning the rental knowing the shop wasn't going to be done in 2 days, etc. rather than just breaking down and using my backup car.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Re: yes

MichaelMurano said:
Yes, Nationwide has already started going after the at-fault party and has reimbursed me for medical expenses. I will get the deductible back for the repairs for sure. As far as the rental goes, Nationwide decides what they think is a reasonable time to get the particular repair done - in this case they thought 2 days - up to $25 per day - anything longer and I'd have to pay out of pocket. I figured it was more of a hassle returning the rental knowing the shop wasn't going to be done in 2 days, etc. rather than just breaking down and using my backup car.
If the insurance company chose your repair shop, they should provide you with a rental for as long as the shop takes. If you chose your own shop, then I guess I understand how the job could take longer than expected. But 2 days? Almost any bodywork (even minor) takes a good shop more time than that.

Off topic, but I've got a shop to recommend to people in the SF Bay Area - 19th Ave Autobody. I had my Maxima repaired twice there and they are superb. They get so much business through word of mouth that they don't even list themselves in the yellow pages.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts