Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with the front, drivers side door handle. Obviously I will be taking it back to have it repaired but was curious if this is just a freak or others may have had the same issue.

I would say 30% of the time when I go to open the door, I found it was locked. At least I thought it was locked until I happenned to open the rear door first and then find the front door not working. I pull the handle to open it but it reacts just as if it was locked. Sure seems like the mechanism is not functioning properly. It will open but only on the second but mostly the third pull. Any one else seen this? I have read several posts on people being locked out of thier cars and thought maybe they were'nt and were just having the same issue as me. Next time anyone thinks they are locked out, try the rear door or just keep pulling on the handle.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Been there.

OK, heres the deal. One week ago, in my garage the door appears to be locked..hmmm? Pull one time on the handle,nada. Pull again, nada, third time same thing. Now I'm still pulling on the door handle trying to figure out what's up and the darn thing opens.

Close the door again and need to repeat the process of four yanks on the handle. A few of my remaining brain cells fuse and figure out that me or the wife half-assed touched the door lock button on the inside arm rest. I hit the button a few times and bingo, no more problem.

So if you accidently brush up and half way touch the locking button, the door seems to halfway lock. Why I pull on the door 4 times and it opened is not clear. I repeated the process two or three times.
So.. hit the lock button to open and lock the thing and I'll bet your problem is over.
Bob1

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not think this is the problem since the rear doors work fine (never tried the passenger door) and are not locked. The door lock button will lock all locks. Plus the fact it has happened to me with the keys in the ignition on at least 3 occasions and the door lock button is not available because it is bypassed so as to not lock your keys in the car accidentally.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Just an add to my situation, my key also in the ignition at the time.
I did not try the back doors. I did go over and get a hide-a-key box and put the Valet key under the car (just in case). I still think that lock/unlock button is the suspect.
I'm sure someone else will add to the thread, we can't be the only ones that this has happend to.
Bob1

Just read your post below,, I'm out of ideas on this???

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, just got back from my garage. The drivers door was locked with the keys in the ignition even though I did not lock it. This time I tried pulling the door handle about 10 times. Nada. All other doors including the hatch are unlocked and open fine. I hit the unlock button on the passenger side and the drivers door would then open like it should. I started the car, turned it off, closed the door. Yep same thing again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Snowride, you and I have the same car (04 SE Pewter) and the same door problem. When I was taking delivery the service manager left the keys in the ignition and we didn't realize it. Went to open driver door and it was locked. Back door opened.

In my garage I went to get into the car and the door was locked. Again, I opened the back door.

Maybe it's a Canadian problem, eh!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just grasping at straws and trying to find the common denomitor. I do have a remote starter installed. Any of you have one which may somehow be causing this?

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Fella's, there is a TSB for surprise door lockings. I had the same issue with mine. Got locked out 2x had to catch a cab to get home for the spare key. After the dealer applied the TSB the issue is all resolved.

However you still need to be careful as I have hit the door lock button when opening the door to leave the car by accident.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Same problem here....occasionally the drivers door locks...all other entry points not locked...doesn't seem to be any pattern or logic as to why...when unlocking using the key fob it seems to make a different sound than when locking/unlocking in normal situation...no "auto start" or any other electrical additions...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think we are talking about something different here. Why would you take a cab when all the other doors remain unlocked??

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Same issue.... the other door would remain unlocked ONLY if they were in locked in the first place. Typically when I drive only the drive door is unlocked. When I opend the door and left it locked behind me.

There is a TSB for this and you need the fix. Its a known issue.

See this link

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Gonzo because the thread did resovle my issue. However it has nothing to do with the TSB. This is what is happening. I am sitting in the car and pull the handle to open the door. As a natural reflex, I also push out on the door while holding the handle to get it to open like most of us normally do. However, the manual locking device which is located immediately above the handle is pushed in at the same time when I am pushing the door and therefor I manually lock it without knowing I did. Sit in your car and give it a try and you'll see what I mean. Just a poor erogonomic design on Nissans part. Also the TSB is for very early release vehicles only and mine was just born on December 03 2003.

IF ONLY your driver door is locking randomly, you probably are affected the same way I was.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Bingo...."generator" diagnosed this situation in a thread last August....it's gonna be hard to train myself to reach across my body to open the door with my right hand....so I don't accidently lock drivers door....Japanese automotive engineers must have very "small hands"...I also have an "87 Supra that has many places my hands/arms can't reach eg starter motor changeout...

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Excellent, glad you got it resolved. Silly deisgn. I'm not in the habbit of looking at the lock as I exit to verify the "status".

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea it sure is. Here is where they screwed up. Try locking the doors (with the door open) with the key in the ignition using the electrically operated button and locks will close but pop right back to the open position. It is designed this way so you cannot lock yourself out but they forgot to tie in the manual portion so it does the same like on all the other cars I have driven. This means you can manually lock the doors with your keys still in the ignition. Not too bright.

What has really saved my butt so far is the remote starter fob because it is programmed to lock/unlock all the doors with just one touch (I cannot just unlock the drivers door) as opposed to 2 on the original Nissan fob. Therefor since I only use this fob (Nissan ones are in a drawer) and always unlock my doors with it (habit from using this for the last 10 years) the other doors are always unlocked. So theoretically I will never get locked out. If you use the Nissan fob (or the key in the drivers door) and only press unlock once, get in, start the vehicule, forget something, close the door behind you while accidentally activating the manual button, your screwed.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Snowride, sifting thru the thread has me wondering, was my original reply correct? That we accidentally bump the manual switch in error or am going down the wrong road? Reading your last post seems that's what your conclusion is to the mystery.
Also no remote starter on my 04.
Bob1

OK, see you below, CASE CLOSED! (But hopefully not locked)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes you were correct but I did'nt think about the manual locking button at all and thought you were refering to the electric lock/unlock button which I knew there was no way I was brushing up against. ( who the heck even uses a manual locking button today?)Sometimes what you may mean and what we may percieve are 2 and this is one of those cases. (for me) This is why I went to the trouble of explaining it like I did. I have to conclude that if you do not accidentally push the manual lock all the way, (only halfway into the locked position) it will still unlock by fiddling with it which happened to you and I.

·
Registered
78 Posts
ok.. I still have this lock out problem and it's at the dealer now and I'm guessing they have no idea how to fix it. Was there a TSB out on this problem and if so, can anyone point it to me so I can tell the dealer. Thanks.

:2:

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts