Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is weird! on my 03 mo just the other day I was waxing the ride,and listening to some tunes,I turned the sys off and pulled the key but did not lock it! with in 3mins the doors locked on there own,(note the key was not in my pocket it was in plain sight nobody touched it! Is this normal or a glitch!

·
Registered
323 Posts
MO is known for locking itself--- PITA. There are 1-2 TSBs about it. NEVER leave your keys in the car while refueling etc.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
As this is an ongoing topic, I would strongly suggest you do what I have done. Go down to Home Depot or whatever hardware is out there, get a 2 dollar hide a key box and have them cut a key. It's really cheap for the door only key as it does not require a special anti theft chip. You could also put your valet key in there.
Cheap insurance.
Bob1

·
Registered
777 Posts
I got locked out once. :mad:
That sure changes your habbits for leaving the engine running & getting out to check the mail box.
At least I was only 5 houses away, but it sure was embarrasing walking to my house, getting my other set of keys & walking back to my MO with the engine running, head lights & radio on.

The dealer did the TSB & changed the wiring harness.
No other problems, but I still roll down a window when getting out with the engine on. :D

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Even if it is not a harness problem, the Murano has an "autolock" feature that locks the doors if they are unlocked but not opened after a set period of time. Thankfully my Murano came with this feature disabled, although I do find myself rolling down the windows before getting out of the car to collect my mail from the mailbox!

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I guess I am just paranoid that I will accidentally hit the lock button before I close the door then! I have not tested it, but I remember in my 97 Maxima the doors will not power lock if the key is in the ignition and the drivers door is open. I wonder if its the same with my Murano. I guess I'll go downstairs and check right now!

·
Registered
38 Posts
does this make sense to anyone?
the owners manual states
Lockout protection
When the power door lock switch (driver or front passenger) is moved to the LOCK position with the key in the ignition and any door open, all doors will lock and unlock automatically. This helps to prevent the keys from being accidentally locked inside the vehicle.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Sure it does... what they are saying is that with the key in the ignition with any door open and when one presses the lock on the door the doors will lock (from pressing the lock button) but then unlock since the key was in the ignition.

I just had to read it 5x to get it.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
gworg said:
does this make sense to anyone?
the owners manual states
Yeah I just tested this - and it functions the same as in the Maxima.

·
Registered
719 Posts
You can lock it from the key fob with the keys in it and the engine running.

I do this a lot in the winter by carrying the valet key and using it to start the MO.

PITA traveling and staying in motels and not having my nice relatively warm garage for Mo to sleep in.

·
Registered
256 Posts
auto locking

With all this talk of automatic locks while checking the mail and filling her up, has anyone thoughts on why the MO doesn't have auto-locks? I'm about to call Nissan to see if there is actually hidden programming that will allow doors to lock after reaching a certain speed. I had a Lincoln like this once (lease) that this feature was left out of the manuals, but was actually programmable. Seems odd that we have all other locking funtions except this one. Any one else curious?

·
Registered
68 Posts
My '04 MO has the same problem. I took in for service and they said my VIN is not covered by the TSB's. Many Nissan products have this problem, not just MO's. It has something to do with moisture in connectors., apparently, a very difficult thing to find.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My wife was refueling the MO this week and fortunately had the keys out when she heard the doors lock. She was not happy. I doubt since it is an 04 that the TSB covers it. Last week we started to leave the garage and my wife asked if I had let the windows down the previous night. I had not. So now we are wondering if the windows are letting themselves down.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Smokedog said:
My wife was refueling the MO this week and fortunately had the keys out when she heard the doors lock. She was not happy. I doubt since it is an 04 that the TSB covers it. Last week we started to leave the garage and my wife asked if I had let the windows down the previous night. I had not. So now we are wondering if the windows are letting themselves down.
As I understand it, the autolock only functions if the door begins in the locked, or alarm armed situation. If the doors are unlocked, but not opened in a certain period of time, they lock back. They should not lock otherwise unless you push the control accidentally. The control can also be used to roll down the front windows. There is a TSB regarding doors locking and windows rolling down - it involves changing the wire harness in the drivers door.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Eric L. I had that TSB performed.... as I got locked out 2x. After they performed the TSB it has not ever happened again.

Now if we can just work on the a pillar and cargo cover.... :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks, EricL. I thought we might be going crazy. We'll have it checked. Other than the doors locking/windows rolling down, we've had no problems, no rattles, nothing but fun driving.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts