Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you need a new drain plug gasket EVERY time you change the oil? I got some filters at the Nissan dealer, but forgot the gaskets. Can I reuse the one that's there, or should I wait until next week and go pick up a few gaskets?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I change my drain plug gasket every other oil change. I bet the quickie lube shops don't even do this, so its probably not required. But its not a bad idea, you can pick them up for abotu 50 cents each at your local dealer.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
$0.50 seems a little high. I think mine were about $0.10 each.

With my wife's car it's a rubber gasket, so as long as the rubber is in good shape and clean I'm comfortable re-using it (sometimes lasts 3 changes).

My Del Sol had true crush washers, where it was a metal that crimped down and formed a nice seal. They DEFINITELY had to be changed every oil change.

The MO's crush washer is a little different. I'd say that in a pinch it should be fine to re-use it once, but I wouldn't want to do it less frequently than every other. I always try to have several extra crush washers on hand just in case (recently bought 8 oil filters and 12 washers).

I also like having an extra drain plug on hand as well.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Corin said:
$0.50 seems a little high. I think mine were about $0.10 each.

With my wife's car it's a rubber gasket, so as long as the rubber is in good shape and clean I'm comfortable re-using it (sometimes lasts 3 changes).

My Del Sol had true crush washers, where it was a metal that crimped down and formed a nice seal. They DEFINITELY had to be changed every oil change.

The MO's crush washer is a little different. I'd say that in a pinch it should be fine to re-use it once, but I wouldn't want to do it less frequently than every other. I always try to have several extra crush washers on hand just in case (recently bought 8 oil filters and 12 washers).

I also like having an extra drain plug on hand as well.
For the nissan gasket, 50 cents would on the cheap side. Courtesy charges 69 cents each for them I think. In either case, 10 cents or 69 cents, its certainly not a back breaker.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Right you are. I just looked up my receipt and they were actually $0.65 each! I must have been thinking of my Del Sol crush washers or something.

Still negligible, especially considering how much you save by not taking it into a service center... :)

·
Registered
842 Posts
My dealer supplies a gasket for every filter that you purchase so that you can change the copper gasket every time you change your oil.:2:

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Ah I think I change them about every 6 changes or so.... never had any leaks. I am more concerned about the plug itself. I'm over cautious about the thread getting worn and cross threading the oil pan threads. Come to think of it I guess I change the plug at the same time as the washer too.

·
5,244 Posts
It is just plain to cheap not to change it.....and too risky too.......

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
O'Brien Nissan in Wyckoff, NJ throw in the washer when you buy the filter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts