Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dang! Picked up mobile 1 synthetic oil w/Nissan filter.
Prep my work for an oil change...Ala...
Dame drain plug got stuck to the tank and won't come out!
Nissan must tighten it with power tool or something~
Any suggestion...broke one of my wench~

Nizmo

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Get a 6 point socket on a breaker bar and tap the bar with a hammer. Mine was tight as hell as well from the $tealer.

·
5,244 Posts
do what mgthe3 suggested. Another problem you may ancounter is the oil filter. I tighten it up just by hand as I did have problems in the past. Dealer must have used "real power tool" to tighten it up. Ah, and get the valve. You will not need to be worry for the oil plug.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! No kudos for service dealer~

Nizmo

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Nizmo-

It is obvious the dealer (or $tealer, as some say) over-torqued the drain plug during your last service visit. If you had the dealer also rotate your tires during that service I would check the lug-nuts to make sure Hercules didn't tighten them like he did the drain plug. You certainly don't want warped rotors.

Just my two cents.

-njjoe

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Yes before you drain the oil be sure you can loosing the oil filter. I bet that will on very tight.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
For the very first oil change on the MO, I couldn't remove the oil filter if my life depended on it. After warping/deforming the filter a bit with my end cap wrench, I decided to play it safe and just took it to the dealer for the first oil change.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Eric L. said:
For the very first oil change on the MO, I couldn't remove the oil filter if my life depended on it. After warping/deforming the filter a bit with my end cap wrench, I decided to play it safe and just took it to the dealer for the first oil change.
Years ago, I decided to change oil on my 75 Chevy Monza V8 to save a few dollars (I was a student). Filter was so tight I had to stick a screw driver through it to get leverage which ripped the filter walls....and it still did not come off. Then decided to drive it to the local garage without the filter....

That oil change cost me big time.......:3:

·
5,244 Posts
zebelkhan said:

So how much oil did you loose.......:2: :2: :2:

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Kris said:
So how much oil did you loose.......:2: :2: :2:
Well, fuel pump's safty cutoff switch kicked in because there was no filter, hence no oil pressure, and I could not drive more than a few feet, but enough to pump all the oil on to my driveway.....

And the tow truck driver charged me double because I was so stupid.......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
zebelkhan said:

Years ago, I decided to change oil on my 75 Chevy Monza V8 to save a few dollars (I was a student). Filter was so tight I had to stick a screw driver through it to get leverage which ripped the filter walls....and it still did not come off. Then decided to drive it to the local garage without the filter....

OUCH!!! :eek:

Z-

That's how we learn. I would think it is a safe bet neither you, nor your family or close friends will ever do something like that again.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
zebelkhan said:

And the tow truck driver charged me double because I was so stupid.......:rolleyes:
Man, talking about adding insult to injury! :D :D

·
Registered
389 Posts
That's why I like to do the oil change myself. For some reason, people don't seem to understand that an oil drain plug doesn't to be torqued to 250+ lb-ft. of torque!

I recommend getting a Metrinch wrench (available from Sears or OSH.) These grip the bolt on the sides instead of putting the stress on the hexagonal edges of the bolt. If the bolt is on too tight and I'm afraid I'll strip it, I just break-out my Metrich wrenches and my rubber mallet. A few taps (not hard hits) from the rubber mallet generally breaks it free. Getting the copper gasket off after someone torques the bolt on so tight is another matter... :rolleyes:

As for the filter... I can't believe people in the service drive put these things on so tight! Don't they follow the rule of "3/4 turn after the rubber gasket makes contact?" I have all sorts of oil filter wrenches now... band type, cap type, ones with teeth... and the one I tend to use the most often now is the oil filter wrench that has teeth. It looks like a big claw (forceps?) with teeth at the end. I use this to bite into the lip of the oil filter. Works like a charm.

I've had the band type... plenty of slippage and cursing when the filter is on too tight. I've shoved a screwdriver through a filter once (not on the Murano) and torn the filter into shreds but still couldn't remove the filter. (Resorted to a flathead screwdriver and hammer on the lip of the filter to get it off.) Rather than futz with all that fiasco again... I just do my own oil and oil filter changes. On the Murano it's easy. No lifting of the car, only undoing three quick-release plastic retainers to reach the filter...

·
Registered
438 Posts
I think it's easier to overtighten if you have the car on a lift (i.e. not at home... unless you are fortunate enough to have your own hydraulic lift... drool) and you really can get some good mechanical advantage. My drainplug was on very tight when I did the 2nd oil change, but it had been at the dealer for the first. They, of course, torqued it like it was holding the main thrust cone on the shuttle. After doing the tap-it-with-the-mallet thing (I have one with sand in it that doesn't bounce back) it still wouldn't come loose. I decided to buy a new drainplug before going any further and finally got it off with a breaker bar managing not to strip it in the process.

Some handy tips on not stripping bolts that I've learned over the years:

1. Don't just keep applying more force, use quick impacts with a mallet.
2. WD40 or other similar cleaning/lube can be helpful.
3. Using 6 sided (as opposed to the standard 12 sided) socket or wrench grips better and is less likely to round out the bolt head.
4. After 10 minutes, take a break and have a beer. Then decide if that bolt really needs to come off or if maybe there's another project that needs doing instead :p

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dame New City Nissan~
Problem solved, took it to local Midas.
Paid $15 bucks plus tax to have them do the labor.
They told me, it's illegal to lock em up like this, they can ruin your oil tank. Luckly mind work out w/o damage!

I will call the NCN and complaint about it, not expecting they are going to change their bad habits. But, to let them know "Bye~ Bye~" lol..

Nizmo

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Its illegal????

"Hey Harry what you in in for... murder and you.... over tightning a oil drain plug... Got a problem with that?!?!?!?!"

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Gonzo said:
Its illegal????

"Hey Harry what you in in for... murder and you.... over tightning a oil drain plug... Got a problem with that?!?!?!?!"

:21:

There will be a new TV series - Law and Order SUV - that deals strictly with over-torquing menaces to the SUV community.

-njjoe

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Pardon me...I think Mr. Midas meant "liable...?"
Hee,hee~

Nizmo

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·