4,664 Posts
dklanecky1 said:
Very Nice documentation.

This should be considered for a sticky?
I'd say!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Excellent documentation of the install......I will def. be using it to guide me through mine.....again, thanks and nice work there

.......Got a question for ya......Do you think you could measure the height from the ground to the top of the 2" Square ballmount hole on the hitch? ......it would be greatly appreciated.......

I was gonna install mine tomm. but the rain may put a damper on that for me......So I need to make a determination if I need to purchase a ballmount....and I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to install between now and next week, and time is of the essence.....

·
Registered
758 Posts
Draw Tite Pics

ToddEichel - Good Job. With those pictures you probably cut someone elses time in half to do the install.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Finally got mine on. Even with two of us, we weren't able to pull off the rubber hangers. So we just navigated our way through. Scratched the new coat of paint I put on the hitch, but we were able to get it on.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Awesome POST!

Thanks for the time you took to share! May go for this sometime near the summer as I like the option of being able to attach a cargo carrier to the hitch. I need to explore the wiring harness install for the trailer connection.

Nice Job!!!:7:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
samson said:
.......Got a question for ya......Do you think you could measure the height from the ground to the top of the 2" Square ballmount hole on the hitch? ......it would be greatly appreciated.......
Looks like it's just about 14 1/2" from the ground to the top inside surface of the hitch receiver...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
tqt said:
Finally got mine on. Even with two of us, we weren't able to pull off the rubber hangers. So we just navigated our way through. Scratched the new coat of paint I put on the hitch, but we were able to get it on.
Yeah, initially I wasn't able to get them off either, snuck the hitch in around the tail pipes (took a layer of dirt off the chrome but the chrome remained intact... eeks...) and got maybe 3 or 4 bolts in, but couldn't get the rearmost bolt even started, let alone tightened down. So while the hitch was up there, I broke out a "wonder-bar" which is a short, flat, wide crowbar (maybe 16 inches long with a 90 degree bend on one end) and pushed the rubber brackets off the mounts that are attached to the Mo with the flat end of the bar (using the side of the hitch for leverage). Once the muffler was dropped, I took the hitch back off again to take a look at it. Turns out the first tab of metal on the drivers side of the hitch looks like it was bent in at some point during shipping by about a 1/8 to 1/4" so it wasn't lining up exactly with the mounting hole. Had to pry it back out into place with a big crow bar to get it to match up. Good times.

·
Registered
472 Posts
If one needs a hitch, the DrawTite looks very attractive and is priced right. The styling is clean and simple and it covers the rear muffler.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks my man....I owe you a beer for all the help........yeah today's a little unfavorable weather-wise for the install, so soon I hope , but in the meantime I can get to order that ballmount, ....thanks again that was big.......

I wasn't impressed with the packaging, but I thought they wrapped up the ends enough to prevent it from dinging, mine actually arrived with only a minor chip on it and wasn't covered over with a marker,

they did give me that big ol' box with the handles, but reinforced the bottom with some extra cardboard, again mucho gracias....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Did my install on Sat. ......install time including install of Nissan wiring harness....2 hours..... that's all thanks to the preplanning that Todd did....

I did have a somewhat bent hitch though....I had to hit it a couple of times with the mallet to match the weld nuts on the driver's side...anyone else off a little there???...I actually think the hitch is supposed to be somewhat curved to accomodate the tailpipe though? I'm not sure.....Other than that, it went smooth...

Tips I have are....... that the tow bracket is really torqued on there (that was the hard part).....helps to have someone help.....And the wire harness doesn't really need to be put on before the hitch.....I also recommend the OEM wiring kit....The instructions are easy enough for a monkey to follow.......and follow what was done here it's uber easy ......

:D

·
Registered
128 Posts
Awesome!

With my air compressor and impact wrench, and putting the rear tires on ramps, the install took me <30 minutes thanks to this thread!

It would have taken less time if I had used my electric drill to remove those 2" long bolts on the cross member, I sat there twisting for 10 minutes on those dumb things, I should have just gotten up and gotten the drill and socket adapter.

Very easy, nice install!

Now... I need a wiring harness....

T

·
0 Posts
I installed mine last week, and it took me about 2 hours...thanks for the pics. Now I can use my bike rack which means no more mud inside the MO. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Just got done with the install. Your thread helped a lot. With the help of a friend to hold things it took right at an hour for the hitch only on a new MO.

One thing to note:
My kit came with washers that were concave and had little "Burs" on one side. Place the burred side of the washer to the frame.

Thanks for all the help!

Whats up with the 5 inch bolts on the center exaust bracket. LOL Over kill! I thought my wrist was going to fall of.

·
Registered
95 Posts
my drawtite is coming this week. So when you guys do the lights w/out the factory harness (tapping in to the wires in the spare tire well) do you just dangle the wires out the door when towing or is there a way to get the wiring outside again and attach to the hitch w/ a connector of some kind?

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
I dangle mine out from under the door. Keeps the plug clean and it was way easier to just connect in the trunk then stow there when not using.

·
Registered
3 Posts
First of all - GREAT job on the explanation & pics everyone! Helped me in my decision as to Which Hitch...

Now for my experience - living in Manhattan it is hard to mount the hitch out in the streets without risking life & limb so thought I would shortcut by having my local dealer Autotech Nissan mount the hitch to the 05 Mo. Service department nice enough about it HOWEVER - got a call to say that the mechanics estimate they will need 2.5 hours @ $ 97.50 to get the job done! Amazing, eh? Comment service department - "perhaps you should take it elsewhere". I sit in quiet amazement...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hitch only (No wiring) with a floor jack took me 1 hour from start to finish with a helper to hold the hitch up on one end.

I would say to gather up your tools and a friend and find a parking lot outside the city and save $200.00

If you have help, you wont need a floor jack. If you don't have tools, $20.00 will get everything you need.

If the 2 hours included the wiring and you don't have the time, it may be the way to go.

They most likely just looked it up in the book and gave you the price for the entire job including wiring as listed in the labor book. I believe the service tech shot me the same time for labor on the entire OEM setup.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Trotter said:
First of all - GREAT job on the explanation & pics everyone! Helped me in my decision as to Which Hitch...

Now for my experience - living in Manhattan it is hard to mount the hitch out in the streets without risking life & limb so thought I would shortcut by having my local dealer Autotech Nissan mount the hitch to the 05 Mo. Service department nice enough about it HOWEVER - got a call to say that the mechanics estimate they will need 2.5 hours @ $ 97.50 to get the job done! Amazing, eh? Comment service department - "perhaps you should take it elsewhere". I sit in quiet amazement...
The OEM hitch is much more difficult to install since the bumper has to be changed to accommodate the hitch. The after market hitches should be much easier to install.

I don't know if the factory wiring harness is superior to the Modulite harness but I do know that a faulty harness can cause electrical problems. My son drives a 96 Pathfinder which has a U- Haul hitch and wiring harness. We had trouble with the turn signals not working, blown turn signal fuses, and the dashboard lights flickered. I thought it might be the turn signal flasher unit that was sticking. I had the dealer look at the problem when I was getting the oil changed. He said the problem was caused by the trailer wiring harness and the problem was common. I replaced the harness and no more problems. The tech person working on my car knew what he was talking about and they didn't charge me for anything except the oil change.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts