Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Looks real neat.

Could you please post the source you bougt it from, install issues and tips.

Also what wiring harness did you use, I thing $99 for OEM is on the excessive side, looking for aftermarket one that snap in without cutting/splincing wires.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Looks real neat.

Also what wiring harness did you use, I thing $99 for OEM is on the excessive side, looking for aftermarket one that snap in without cutting/splincing wires.

I was wondering this also. Any info for us guys that are looking to add our own tow package?

Chez

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chezman29 said:
Looks real neat.

I was wondering this also. Any info for us guys that are looking to add our own tow package?

Chez

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JOE said:

Sorry I screwed up, as for your questions, I had a local trailer place hook it up, hitch and wireing, they originally messed up and put the wrong module box in and it burned out, I looked up an old message in ref to wireing and it gave the module lite number, we put that in and it's fine now. If I had the choice I would buy the OEM harness to eliminate any problems, the OEM harness plugs right in. Also if you light probe one of the main wires you will get the air bag indicator light on your guages, you will then have to go to Nissan to have them clear it, so go with the Nissan harness . Joe

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hiddenhitch on sale $129

I just bought my trailer hitch about 10 min ago from hiddenhitch.com for $129, no joke. I was on another forum and a guy was saying how nice they were and how much better they were than the other hitches out there, especially the $450 Nissan hitch that I guess is a royal, royal pain in the butt for the dealer to install, $700 pain in the rear.
So then someone said they just checked the site and the hidden hitches were on sale, I went and checked and indeed they were, and from what I understand they are a breeze to install. So I am happy as can be.

Although I did have a question as to whether or not to buy the universal wiring harness they sell with it for $50 or spend the $99 and get the Nissan wiring harness since we are getting such a killer deal on the hiddenhitch. It comes with all kinds of extras as well, like a cover for the end and stuff. I am pretty happy I caught it on sale. I guess they normally go for $239.
So I thought I would pass on the info on and ask about the harness at the same time.

Chez

·
Registered
400 Posts
I just ordered the Draw-Tite hitch

I like the hidden hitch, but the draw-tite hitch has a 2" receiver which I prefer. Also, it's a little less expensive. I bought mine from www.etrailer.com for $113.91, but you can also get it from www.trailers-for-less.com for $109.

Bob K.

·
Registered
139 Posts
1 1/4 reciever benefit?

What is the benefit of having a 2" instead of a 1 1/4 " reciever?
Is it that much of a difference and benefit. Besides that I have a 2in reciever already from my 4runner?

Also, doesn't the hidden hitch look better. I wish we had pics of all the different hitches and peoples opinions on what ones looked best and what ones functioned best.
The only thing I will be towing is a Pontiac Sunfire on a tow dolly.

One more Question. Is it better to spend the $99 for the dealer wiring harness or spend half that for a universal one from these online hitch dealers?

Chez

PS Sorry, I thought $129 was a killer deal compared to the $500 the dealer wanted to charge me!!!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Well, I'm not expert...

Hi Chezman29,

Well, I'm no expert, but the 2" receiver is on the "overkill" side of things since we can't tow over 3,500 pounds or have more than 300 pounds of tongue-weight.

I think the 1.25" receiver is adequate, but I like the 2" receiver because it's a more standard size and is a bit more rugged. (I won't need to worry about towing a trailer, etc.) But the 2" receiver is also a bitmore unsightly compared to a smaller 1.25" opening. Conversely, the 2" receiver has a greater "intimidation" factor and keeps people from crawling up on your rear bumper! :p (Of course, having a nice shiny ball protruding is even more incentive for people to back-off!)

As for the wiring harness, I was going to spend the bucks and just buy the factory kit. I want to go with a straight "plug-and-play" approach and, quite honestly, the $50 difference isn't enough for me to worry about. Besides, I don't want any reason to have Nissan void my warranty because I "spliced wires" or "probed wires."

Bob K.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Having a 2" receiver is a big advantage to those who use hitch mounted bike racks which often only come to fit 2" becasue of the torque
also if you have mutiple tow vehicles it would then be transferable.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Being a previous mechanic the only reason I saw was the weight issue, and the possibility of things like the bike rack mentioned.
Neither of which is going to change my order. Its on its way so I will be going with the hidden hitch 1 1/4. For the price it sure does come with a LOT of extra's as well, including a reciever to go with it. So I am set.

Thanks for the input.

Chez

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
300 vs. 350 tongue weight

The reason I used the 2" receiver is that it gives you 350lb of tongue weight also. The MO has a max of 3000 lbs and a 350 lb tongue weight capacity, I always felt that bigger is better, besides the Draw-Tite crossbar covers the ugly muffler that sticks out like a sore thumb especially when it gets dirty.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I don't think a difference of 50lbs in tongue weight is a big. Especially how the ratings go. Who knows, the hiddenhitch could have been right on the border of getting a 350lb rating?

Either way, I bought what I bought and am happy with it.

To be honest, I like the Nissan hitch the best due to it showing as little as possible. So I wouldn't like the hitch being BIGGER hiding the muffler. Which won't be there long anyway once I get an aftermarket system when they come out with one.
For ME, when it comes to trailer hitches, less is more.
Like I have said before once you buy something, be happy about it, don't regret it and look at all the positives of the item you purchased, not another one that you don't have. What is good for someone else necessarily isn't good for everyone.
Thanks for the extra info though,
Chez

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
`Hi Chezman,

You are 100% right, everyone's need is different. As I said bigger is better for me and that is because I pull a aluminum trailer with a 32 ford on it. (see posted Pics) I think it is titled MO with trailer. Anyway I like the look of the Nissan hitch also but I could not get one at the time.
Good luck and by all means be happy with what you have I'm sure that it will be fine. Joe

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just got my Draw-Tite hitch installed yesterday. I bought it online for $119 US (104+15 S&H) and had it installed for $25. I think it probably only took them 1/2 an hour to install. I am sure it was the only Murano the shop has seen in my area because they commented on it being a really nice vehicle!
I even installed my bike rack and went for a ride yesterday. AWESOME!

I will try to take a picture of it tonight and post it later on.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Here's a pic of the hidden hitch with bike rack. Sorry I don't have a close up of it. But this will give ya an idea of what it looks like.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was thinking of putting in an aftermarket wiring harness which would save me about 50 dollars but my local trailer shop persuaded me to install the OEM harness even though this advise would cost them business. They explained that Draw Tite does the best research on trailer setups and they reccomend the OEM over their own Modulite. They said the Modulite might work fine for awhile but then one rainy day you will try to start your car and the whole electrical system will short out ruining the car's computer and probably voidng the warranty. I took his advise and installed the OEM in less then two hours. It comes with excellent instructions and is incredibly simple. 95% of the time is spent taking off and putting on the interior components of the car that conceal the taillight wiring.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Did the 2" for compatibility

Folks,

We did the 2" hitch ( class 3) for compatibility with the bike carrier and hitch hauler we already had for our conversion van. Only so much stuff you can store in the garage.

With the space in the Mo and 3 ladies travelling with me ( wife and 2 daughters), I think the extended trunk of the hitch hauler will be used a lot.

Chuck

1 - 20 of 26 Posts