Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to go with the Drawtite hitch since it has a 2" reciever and cheaper than OEM.

I just had it delivered from etrailer.com. There were paint chips where you can see exposed metal and some were filled in a black permanent marker.

Anybody else that has a drawtite with the same problems?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had exactly the same problem with a Draw Tite hitch from Etrailer. I emailed Etrailer, and they said that is how they come from Draw Tite, since they are shipped stacked on top of each other. They offered me a paint touch-up kit or a $10 refund. I took the $10 refund and fixed it myself.

I first used Rustoleum Rust Reformer on the rust spots. Then, I primed the entire hitch. Then sprayed 3 coats of Rustoleum black high gloss. I have had the hitch on since October 2004, and it still looks great... even with all of the salt and sand on the roads in New England.

Andy

·
Registered
52 Posts
I gave it a very light sanding with 220 grit sandpaper. Then wiped it off and applied a coat of Rustoleum spray auto primer. Then followed that with 3 light coats for Rustoleum high gloss black.

Then I was very careful not to bang the hitch into anything when I was installing it.

·
4,664 Posts
Hitches and Bar-B-Q's, they both rust like crazy if they don't have a good paint job!

If you can, it's better to paint, when it's off, as you can get in between the hitch and the body.

At least they're so thick, it's not likely to cause structrual issues, just look ugly!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sorry. No pictures. I'll try to take some this week, but they won't be pretty. There is salt and sand caked everywhere.

I agree with Jack. Painting it before you install it is much easier and will hold up better.

I was actually concered that the hitch would really spoil the look of the MO, but I am really happy with the way it turned out. If anything, I think it looks better with the hitch.:D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Step one complete. Sanded it down and applied white primer. Never seen a white hitch before. I wonder how it would look like.
Regardless, the Black hammered rustoleum paint will be applied sometime this week.

etrailer only offered the touch up paint. they actually sent a spray can.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just ordered the Draw-Tite from hitchfinder.com ($8.50 cheaper than etrailer), I'll let you know if there's any paint missing when it comes in on Thursday. I'll also document the install with pics and post in a new thread when I get a chance to put it on....

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just made the same order from hiddenhitch, etrailer went up in price for the Curt hitch from $111 to $130, so I went with hidden hitch drawtitie for $121.......$145 shipped, but yeah if you would post those pics of the install, when you get to it, I would appreciate it as well......

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was a little less than impressed with the packaging quality, it was just in a big box with a couple squares of thick cardboard (3 inches or so) on either end that were pretty much destroyed by the time it got to me, some rips in the side of the box where the hand holes were, had me a little concerned. The bolts and instructions were in a sealed bag that was wrapped with about 10 layers of packing wrap around the hitch reciever, so that was all intact. Turned out to be in pretty good shape, some paint missing from a couple of the edges that I'll probably just rust-o-leum over. I started installing it on Sunday, figured I had enough time by the "30-40 minutes" estimates I've seen. I think that's a reasonable estimate if you have an impact wrench, but it took me that long just to get the bracket off the back (the hitch uses two of the bolt holes that the bracket is using) so I ran out of time. I'll continue next time I get some free time during the daylight, but I'm documenting as I go with the digital camera, probably start a new thread so it'll just be the install that we can sticky on here for folks. Probably would help if I run it through the carwash first, too, prior to putting the hitch on.... By the way, I'm just installing the hitch, I'm not doing any of the wiring, I'm not going to be towing anything, this is primarily for a bike rack I have right now, and possibly a cargo carrier in the future....

·
Registered
53 Posts
By the way, I was less than impressed with HitchFinder's packing prowess for my hitch. Not having ordered a hitch from anywhere else, I can't compare, but it seems to me you should have more packing in a box with a heavy ass piece of metal than this:

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's more packaging than I got. It came in with the hitch in the box and the instructions and bolts taped to the hitch.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally got it on. Scratch up the new paint a bit, but touched it up. I post pix when I take take them on a sunnier day.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here are some pix of my repainted drawtite hitch. Original hitch sanded down, two coat of rustoleum primer, and two coats of black hammered rustoleum paint.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts