1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I don't know... I suppose if you were using your brakes very often under heavy circumstances (i.e. always towing heavy loads, heading down hill etc.) it might increase the life of the rotors and pads.

On the other hand, given the warping issues on the MO perhaps this should be a standard OEM item. :8:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Drilled holes and slots allow hot gasses to escape the boundary layer between the pad and rotor allowing better braking under extreme use and also "renew" the pad surface preventing glazing. However, all of that is BAD for pad life, and can lead to excessive squealing and rotors cracking on the drill holes. Good for race cars does not necessarily mean good for street cars...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Drilled/Slotted Rotors

I bought a set of really nice Brembos for my Audi and had nothing by problems with them (and Brembos are considered a really good aftermarket remplacement). After that I swore to stick with OEM stock stuff for brakes and a lot of other things.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Most of what I have read is against drilled rotors. The performance increase is minimal if at all. They are good for cars that spend their life on the track and the parts get replaced after most events anyway.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
There are drilled and/or slotted rotor..

The above post is right.

A high quality drilled (or even crossdrilled) rotor is a good upgrade for your car, if you drive the car on race track because it dissipates the heat much faster than regular rotor.

Slotted rotor is a good upgrade for stock car.
Because it has all the slots and grooves, it channel the water and dirts and gunks away better (faster). Sort of like the threads of your tires. Of course, this all depends on the pattern of the slot. I have seen some orbital pattern slotted rotor, which i think, is totally negating the whole purpose of gettting slotted rotor.

·
Registered
443 Posts
...And the funny thing is, cars that spend time on the track sometimes have slotted rotors, but not cross drilled. Whether cast with those holes, or worse drilled after casting, you create a place for cracks to start. It also reduces the amount of material able to act as a heatsink.

The 996TT (OK, these arent cast iron I know), Boxster S, Z06 have them as well! Surely these 'track' cars must be OEM'd with all the right gear, right? Well, Porsche says they have cross-drilling in their brakes for better wet braking... to give the water somewhere to go. Hmmmm.

Still don't believe? Take a close look at brakes on F1, NASCAR, Indy cars. See any holes?

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
The MO, while a fine car, is not a Porsche, nor is it designed/intended to be driven like one. You probably will get little return for your money, except the admiring gaze of those who bother to inotice such things (like powder coated otors).

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
ekaxel said:
The MO, while a fine car, is not a Porsche, nor is it designed/intended to be driven like one. You probably will get little return for your money, except the admiring gaze of those who bother to inotice such things (like powder coated otors).

I completely agree. The MO is not a sports car you take to the track, you will hardly ever see the benefit of slotted or cross drilled rotors in street driving. If you want better braking, get more aggressive brake pads - I think EBC makes their greenstuff pads for the Murano. I for one am holding off for a set of Porterfield R4S Carbon-Kevlars - whenever they are available. Had them on Maxima - Great pads!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts