Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experianced this problem. As I was driving I noticed a thumping noise that matched my speed. I sounded like somting was wraped around the drive shaft. I inspected the underside and did not find anything. I though maybe the AWD was not fully disengaged and I selected the AWD lock, drove for a few feet and turned it off. The problem imediatly became servely worse. It felt as if someone was jaming the transmission in and out of gear causing the vehical to buck. I just had my 03 towed to Midletown Nissan,

·
Registered
263 Posts
how is that dealer

I purchased my 05 mo their and will be needing service soon .How is that dealer ?I live in rockland so they are not close

What was that noise?

:(

·
Registered
472 Posts
You never engage the AWD switch when starting up ( 0 - 19 mph) on dry pavement. The AWD lock is used only when you are in snow/ice conditions and you need help starting up. Engaging the AWD lock in dry conditions will bind up the driveline and can cause serious damage.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only engaged the AWD after the problem started thinking the AWD system was partily engaged. I was in a gass station parking lot and move the vehical bacward 20ft and then forward 20ft keeping the vehical in a straight line and moving about 2 MPH. I am still waiting for the Dealer to call me back they have not looked at my Murano yet.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Re: how is that dealer

larry1960 said:
I purchased my 05 mo their and will be needing service soon .How is that dealer ?I live in rockland so they are not close
:(
I'd look around so more. I've gone to Middletown Nissan for many service appointments because they were handy, but with mixed results.

I would certainly never buy a new car from there. Had to walk out once when they tried to cheat me on the price at signing, and another time years later with my Murano purchase when they repeatedly sent me back and forth between the salesman and the sales manager. Two chances on two different vehicles. Never again.

·
Registered
593 Posts
HuskyFan said:
You never engage the AWD switch when starting up ( 0 - 19 mph) on dry pavement. The AWD lock is used only when you are in snow/ice conditions and you need help starting up. Engaging the AWD lock in dry conditions will bind up the driveline and can cause serious damage.
Seems the AWD lock button is too easily accessed, right beside the heated seat switches on vehicles with that option.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
zofsuvs

I have the final solution!

I didn't get AWD. GRIP :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I visited the dealer when shoping for my 03 MO and ended up going to manchester when I bought it. They not only beet Middletowns price but the sales person at Middletown was a little dishonest, as I was negosiating down the price of the MO he was knoking off the same amount from my tride in and failed to mention it. I'm hoping the service Dept is more honest.

Athough I do have a complaint about the Manchester dealer as well. when I spect out my MO I asked for the towing package a $540.00 option they found the one I wanted but without the towing package. Sales person told me they would install the option at a later date but would take the $540.00 cost out of the sale. 6 Mo later when I went back to have it install I was told it would cost over $1100.00 and of corse the sales person no-longer worked there.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Sounds like some problems with the transfer case or rear differential. Let us know what the dealer finds.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well Eric you guissed it, according to the service dept the rear differential did not release and has caused damage to the front differential and possabley the drive shaft as well. Parts should be in latter this week, good thing its still under warranty.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Glad you got the problem diagnosed at the dealership. I hope they repair it correctly! Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got My MO back today, feels good to be back in the drivers seat. Dealer sead that the clutch in the rear Dif locked up and caused the AWD to be engaged, Took about 5K in parts to repair. Good thing it was under Warranty.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
Black-CT-Murano

WOW glad it's back and working well. Be carefull of that AWD lock Switch on dry pavement., I guess. GRIP :D

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
HuskyFan said:
Not than I am disagreeing with you but is there anything in the owners manual about something as serious as this? I don't recall crossing anything about it.

·
Registered
593 Posts
In the 2003 manual:

Pg 2-10: CAUTION: Do not drive on dry hard surface roads in the LOCK mode.

Pg 5-19: CAUTION: Never drive on dry hard surface roads in the LOCK mode, as this will over-load the power-train and may cause a serious malfunction.

Pg 5-19: CAUTION: The power-train may be damaged if you continue driving with the warning light blinking rapidly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This was not user error, this was the failure of the rear Diff. It did not disengage and remained locked. The AWD switch was off and the indicator light never came on. The dealer suspected the clutch assembly in the rear Diff seized.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts