Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have posted this about year or so ago and it never happened again, until this weekend and both Saturday and Sunday the drivers door would not unlock. Saturday I thought the door was stuck with ice as we had rain that turned to snow I pulled so hard I thought the handle was going to break. I then went to the passenger side opened the door(no ice stick) and hit the toggle switch for the door locks...went to the drivers door and it opened. weird to say the least.

Sunday morning I had the car running with the auto start and again the drivers door would not open. I went to the passenger door and did everything I did the day before but nothing worked and I was locked out of my own vehicle. I then went back to the passenger side and struggled trying to slide across to the drivers side with winter boots on...not a pretty picture...pretty messy actually. I figured I would drive to where I had to and then cross over to the passenger side to get out. I figured when I get to my destination I am going to use my phone and video everything for the dealership as they always say it never happens to them. The toggle switch for the door was impossible to move. I had nothing to lose and shut off all the upper vents except the far left one and directed at the lock. As I drove I occasionally kept hitting the door unlock button and it never budged...until of course when I was about a minute away from my destination... so no video, but I could open the door from inside.

Any idea what is causing this? Frozen metal inside the door? where can I spray wd-40 to keep it lubricated?

·
Registered
817 Posts
The same thing happened to me yesterday but I was able to manually unlock the driver's door from the passenger side by stretching my arm and pushing on the manual unlock. All doors were frozen so I had to use remote start and after a few minutes, I gently pulled the passenger door about 1/2" then waited a few more minutes to help defrosting the weather stripping...I hate winter now!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All I can figure is that it seems to be inside near that latch...happened 3 times yesterday ...twice I could open it from the passenger side by clicking back and forth on the unlock button... the third time it would not budge...even after climbing over the seats I could not apply enough force with my hand to move it.... There has to be moisture in that part of the door. I brought the vehicle into my back shop today and sprayed wd40 everywhere inside that latch. Hopefully this madness stops.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Next time try with the mechanical key to see if that would work; I thought about it this morning...but since it was not very cold, the door lock worked normally.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
even after the wd-40 this morning once again the door refuses to open..it's like when you pull on the handle it is connected to nothing...very odd. Opened it from the passenger side again. Not sure what else I can try.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I hope this will work for you. Since I've had the same problem, I think it's caused by the extra components in the driver's door lock i.e. the manual key linkage as all other doors were fine. We had a fair amount of rain here then the temperature dropped quickly to below 0F! I'm pretty sure the condensation froze the mechanism. I've had similar issues on another vehicle some 25 years ago that had power door locks but didn't have remote keyfob (1991 Chevy Lumina company car). I had to quickly use the key to first lock then swing it back to unlock as fast as I could and eventually the door would open. I could feel the linkage was bending. After that, I made sure my cars had a remote!

That problem may not occur again until next year when we get very cold temperatures.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For us, the door were "frozen". Very hard to open and I was scared to break the door handle.

We sprayed silicone and it did not freeze again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
watch this link...

I had the same issue with the passenger door a year ago. I paid 500.00 to have it replaced. But just found this link on how to fix the motor in the actuator.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts